Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Do new grads work at outpatient surgery centers???

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology Positions' started by surfdevl02, 10.06.10.

1. surfdevl02

surfdevl02 Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hello all-

I am set to graduate in July '11 and need an honest answer from those of you who have been done for a while. Do new grads ever take jobs at outpatient surgery centers (instead of hospitals)....i'm looking at jobs and there are a lot of surgery centers in the washington, dc area hiring but fewer hospitals. Is it a bad idea to have your first job at an outpatient surgery center...i'm assuming the patients are generally healthier, ASA I-II. Part of me says i should start out doing tougher cases in a hospital setting out of residency...the surgery centers are M-F, no nights, no weekends, no call. I'm assuming they pay less for the given lifestyle but i have not asked about salary. Is this just a really bad idea out of Anesthesia residency???? Thanks for your help!
  2. Consigliere

Consigliere

Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    IF you can get one of those jobs, do so. They are usually hard to come by for new grads. You will probably make less money, but your lifestyle will be MUCH better.
  3. Gas

Gas Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Don't assume these jobs are easy. There will be a lot of pressure for quick wake-ups/discharges and in my experience, new graduates aren't necessarily ready for this. There is a sense of urgency that is not necessarily present at the big academic centers.
  4. veetz

veetz Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I think doing outpt surgery right out of residency is going to hurt you in the long run, as you will lose your skill for taking care of more sick pts and more complex surgeries. It's not unprobable that midlevels will assume more responsibility for the healthier pt's going for bread & butter types of surgeries. In that happens, you will be hurting.

But, you have to determine priorities. If family and work schedule are important and you are interested in those types of positions, then do it.
  5. Jay K

Jay K nullum gratuitum prandium

Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    My group covers hospitals as well as surgery centers. So our new partners do hit the surgery centers rather swiftly, although not immediately. We give 'em a short period of time to acclimate if they're straight out of training.

It's hard to say if taking a straight surgery center job right off the bat is bad, although my gut says you probably should take a more diverse-experience type position first (as your gut seems to indicate as well). It will depend on how desperate the group is and the quality of the other candidates you're up against when moving jobs - say to a more diverse practice. Certainly if the job entails more complex cases and the other candidate has been doing these the past couple of years and you haven't, you might be at a disadvantage in the hiring group's mind.

Funny thing is, in our field, you seldom are turned down for being "over qualified" like in other jobs.

Good luck. Just make sure you save a lot of the money you make, in case you do need to switch jobs. Your "cush" surgery center job won't pay as much, so I wouldn't live high on the hog unless you're independently wealthy or the Missus is...

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal