DO NOT BECOME AN OPTOMETRIST!! Believe me, I wanted to be one too!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You know what this is amazing. I just checked it out! Oh wait what if there is anything and from the looks of it ANYTHING wrong with my eyes.
And if you are lucky to have nothing wrong WHAT IF SOMETHING WENT WRONG?! Love what KHE said about compairing the value and cost of other things we choose in our life. Optometry is continuing to become more and more medically based.

Oh and if you continue on with the "exam" you measure out distance with your feet.... The site doesn't even work, an input box can't be filled in and you can't continue.

Loooooooooooooooooool! Love the screenshot you posted. Great, if an online eye exam can give you your prescription for a cheaper price, congratulations! Is your PC also going to tell you whether you are at risk for glaucoma or cataracts? Will it tell you if you should get checked for diabetes? -_-

At the end of the day, everyone has their own passion. Who are you to tell us that we can't follow our dreams? Not all of us are trying to be millionaires by becoming an optometrists. Those who are going for the money and the money only, will regret it 100%. Are you trying to be a lawyer because it pays well? Is that it? Yea, good luck being happy. Are you trying to be a surgeon because you truly enjoy the thought of performing surgery almost every day, being on constant call, stressing out at night, hoping and praying that tomorrows surgery goes well? Or are you just in it for the money? Same thing goes for dentistry.

People work below average-paying jobs just because they love what they are doing. Who are you to say we don't love optometry? (Yes, there are people who don't actually love optometry, they like the idea of $$$$, which yes will screw you over since tuition is so high).

At the end of the day, a lot of us are here because we love it. Because we want to be. Because there is nothing else we would rather be doing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That screenshot alone would discourage me to use the service to be honest.
It seems so much simpler to just go to the local Optometrist and get my eyes checked once a year, even if it costs a few more bucks.

Same, which is why Im thinking that optometry will be around for a long time, stagnating instead of dying and rising from the ashes.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are pursuing this path toward optometry school, already accepted or even are in optometry school now, this is for you. This is my first SDN post so I thought I would make it count. Don't write this off as any other negative comments toward Optometry. Yes, I know it isn't positive, but I think if someone just hears me out and I save their career choice, its worth it.

Optometry was my dream too. I couldn't wait to be an optometrist. Sounded like a great job: clean environment, somewhat good pay, interacting with people, the possibility of opening your own practice and being in the health/medical field. I had this dream from senior year of high school and all through college. I applied senior year to optometry school (which I only applied to 2 schools and was accepted to both). All through college I relied on SDN for some Optometry support, but usually it always had something negative to say. I DID NOT LISTEN TO THE NEGATIVITY. I would write it off and try not to think of the negativity and try to focus on the positive. I would constantly turn the other way. One of the problems was I would look toward one successful optometry practice that I shadowed at(which is hurting now to make ends meet) and think that it could still be done when I become an optometrist. A month before moving into Optometry school I had a realization that I could not go through with something like this. It was a hard decision to make to give up my seat. In all honesty I think I have come to realize that unfortunately there really isn't hope for optometry. Even many optometrist that I know have left the field because they couldn't stand it anymore.(I decided that summer to take the DAT and pursue dental school and a miracle happened, I was accepted). Best decision of my life. Every day I am so thankful I switched.

Optometry was an amazing field in the past. I think if I could have been an optometrist in the pre 2000s it would have been an ideal situation. I have come to realize that even though its a nice job, it is not a viable option anymore. The competition for private practice is soooooooo high. Many private practices have closed down in my affluent Midwest town, because they couldn't compete with commercial and the growing online demand. Optometrists who I know can barely find jobs and have to piece together three to four part time jobs to make it full time. Life for optometry was better where online glasses sales didn't exist(Warby Parker, zenni optical, coastal.com), contacts couldn't be bought from 1 800 contacts and now with online eye exams hitting the market(Opternative or Blink) its almost impossible to compete. Optometrists don't make money for their eye exams that cost 50 bucks, but instead it comes from glasses and contact sales which are being taken away. Unfortunately, the public perception of Optometry doesn't think we do any more than say "1 or 2" all day and basically just want that quick refraction so they could get their new contact or glasses prescription to run out the doors and order online. Believe me most people who I know do this. Specifically this next generation. In all honesty I would do the same thing if I was in someone else's shoes to save the money. I mean come on, there is no way to compete against for example Zenni optical selling prescription glasses for 7 dollars!!!

Another issue is that there is just way too many optometry schools, and two more that are supposed to be opening this year. The influx of optometrists looking for work is already a disaster. Even commercial places near me are decreasing their starting wages every year for new employed optometrists, because they know that there is already too many optometrists looking for work. The amount of debt that one must take out for optometry school is unbelievable! If you end up with 200k in debt, Ive seen job ads near me list a starting wage of 60k. How on earth is anyone going to pay back that debt and try to open a practice.....its just not going to happen. Sometimes you might see advertisements for 40 bucks an hour.... for pete sake the dental hygienist who work with me at the dental office before I attend dental school are already making 45 bucks an hour for an associates degree. All I'm saying is that I did not go to 4 years more after college to learn a lot of pointless things that I won't use (because no corporate setting has any medical treatment, they just refract one after the other every 10 minutes) to become a CORPORATE SLAVE working for about 80k a year. That is absolutely crazy. Thats even taking into account that you can actually find a corporate slave job.

I just encourage you to take my advice while you can and get out while you can.Seriously though, RUN IN THE OTHER DIRECTION WHILE YOU CAN! LISTEN TO ME I ALMOST CHOSE THIS AWFUL PIT TOO! I tried to not listen to the loads of crap on SDN, but in all honesty what ppl say on here is just to help. I left to dental and I am so thankful I was able to get out of Optometry before it was too late. If you are still on the fence join "ODs on Facebook". You will then see some of the crap that optometrists share. They even admit that they won't even recommend Optometry to their own kids and some of them are not making ends meet in their practice. Reimbursements are too low and are shrinking and no one wants to pay anything for an exam because some coporate joint has a special on free exams if you buy a pair of glasses. Their is just NO VALUE built into all the education that you went through.

Hopefully this helps some of you make the right decision, but I can't wait to be part of my entering class this July School DENTAL MEDICINE!! If you have any questions feel free to contact me. Maybe Ill see you in dental school too haha. You will soon realize there is a lot of better family friendly careers that value you and your education and knowledge. So thankful I switched. MY ADVICE: RUN FOR THE HILLS from Optometry WHILE YOU CAN

So you applied to Dental School after all that time wanting to become an Optometrist, I thought we choose schools and careers off what we like, how did you suddenly start liking teeth.

So you are telling us do not become an optometrist and you are not even one or will become one. Not everyone wants to become dentists. In every fields, there will be negative things to concern. Optometry might not be what it used to but so are many other professions. Do you think we blindly invested our life and financial into something's without researching about it ? Or you think everyone know all about negativities of optometry and still want to pursue it are stupid? I hope that you did research about dental school and life as a dentist.

We are going to hear a lengthy post from this guy a few years down the line on why he should have stuck with his original choice.

Sure, become a dentist and make crazy cash. But some people (such as myself) just can't see themselves in that career because there is no patient-doctor interaction whereas there is so much of it in optometry. (might I add in that dentistry has one of the highest suicide rates...).

medical doctors have the highest suicide rate, and dentists have more patient interaction than any optometrist.

Reactions: 2 users
medical doctors have the highest suicide rate, and dentists have more patient interaction than any optometrist.
How so? (patient-doctor interaction) Pretty hard to interact and communicate with their hands in your mouth.

By interaction, do you mean hands in mouth?

it is a fact that dentists have more patient interaction and its all already been explained above, if you want to remain in denial go ahead.

Members don't see this ad :)
My dentist (diplomate/fellow) barely talks. The last two times I saw him, he only said 3 sentences to me.

My issue is with your "any" terminology.
Have you ever seen the vision therapy schedule of a traumatic brain injury/strabismic amblyopic patient?
These patients are seen weekly for hours until they are rehabilitated (so that's an hour a week for an average of 6 months. 26 hours plus the additional initial evaluation and progress reports).
On the opposite spectrum, I'm sure you can cite an orthodontic case that was seen much more than that.
The point is, you can't make such huge generalizations without expecting some bounce-back.

You won't find me going to the dental forums and saying 'all optometrists spend more time with their patients than dentists do.'

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My issue is with your "any" terminology.
Have you ever seen the vision therapy schedule of a traumatic brain injury/strabismic amblyopic patient?
These patients are seen weekly for hours until they are rehabilitated (so that's an hour a week for an average of 6 months. 26 hours plus the additional initial evaluation and progress reports).
On the opposite spectrum, I'm sure you can cite an orthodontic case that was seen much more than that.
The point is, you can't make such huge generalizations without expecting some bounce-back.

You won't find me going to the dental forums and saying 'all optometrists spend more time with their patients than dentists do.'

Saying "any" was my mistake. However, the post that I had responded to showed ignorance and a lack of respect for dentistry as a profession, the generalizations go both ways in this thread.

Last edited:
it is a fact that dentists have more patient interaction and its all already been explained above, if you want to remain in denial go ahead.

So you do mean hands in mouth then.. Maybe seeing the patient every six months instead of on a yearly basis?

If you are pursuing this path toward optometry school, already accepted or even are in optometry school now, this is for you. This is my first SDN post so I thought I would make it count. Don't write this off as any other negative comments toward Optometry. Yes, I know it isn't positive, but I think if someone just hears me out and I save their career choice, its worth it.

Optometry was my dream too. I couldn't wait to be an optometrist. Sounded like a great job: clean environment, somewhat good pay, interacting with people, the possibility of opening your own practice and being in the health/medical field. I had this dream from senior year of high school and all through college. I applied senior year to optometry school (which I only applied to 2 schools and was accepted to both). All through college I relied on SDN for some Optometry support, but usually it always had something negative to say. I DID NOT LISTEN TO THE NEGATIVITY. I would write it off and try not to think of the negativity and try to focus on the positive. I would constantly turn the other way. One of the problems was I would look toward one successful optometry practice that I shadowed at(which is hurting now to make ends meet) and think that it could still be done when I become an optometrist. A month before moving into Optometry school I had a realization that I could not go through with something like this. It was a hard decision to make to give up my seat. In all honesty I think I have come to realize that unfortunately there really isn't hope for optometry. Even many optometrist that I know have left the field because they couldn't stand it anymore.(I decided that summer to take the DAT and pursue dental school and a miracle happened, I was accepted). Best decision of my life. Every day I am so thankful I switched.

Optometry was an amazing field in the past. I think if I could have been an optometrist in the pre 2000s it would have been an ideal situation. I have come to realize that even though its a nice job, it is not a viable option anymore. The competition for private practice is soooooooo high. Many private practices have closed down in my affluent Midwest town, because they couldn't compete with commercial and the growing online demand. Optometrists who I know can barely find jobs and have to piece together three to four part time jobs to make it full time. Life for optometry was better where online glasses sales didn't exist(Warby Parker, zenni optical, coastal.com), contacts couldn't be bought from 1 800 contacts and now with online eye exams hitting the market(Opternative or Blink) its almost impossible to compete. Optometrists don't make money for their eye exams that cost 50 bucks, but instead it comes from glasses and contact sales which are being taken away. Unfortunately, the public perception of Optometry doesn't think we do any more than say "1 or 2" all day and basically just want that quick refraction so they could get their new contact or glasses prescription to run out the doors and order online. Believe me most people who I know do this. Specifically this next generation. In all honesty I would do the same thing if I was in someone else's shoes to save the money. I mean come on, there is no way to compete against for example Zenni optical selling prescription glasses for 7 dollars!!!

Another issue is that there is just way too many optometry schools, and two more that are supposed to be opening this year. The influx of optometrists looking for work is already a disaster. Even commercial places near me are decreasing their starting wages every year for new employed optometrists, because they know that there is already too many optometrists looking for work. The amount of debt that one must take out for optometry school is unbelievable! If you end up with 200k in debt, Ive seen job ads near me list a starting wage of 60k. How on earth is anyone going to pay back that debt and try to open a practice.....its just not going to happen. Sometimes you might see advertisements for 40 bucks an hour.... for pete sake the dental hygienist who work with me at the dental office before I attend dental school are already making 45 bucks an hour for an associates degree. All I'm saying is that I did not go to 4 years more after college to learn a lot of pointless things that I won't use (because no corporate setting has any medical treatment, they just refract one after the other every 10 minutes) to become a CORPORATE SLAVE working for about 80k a year. That is absolutely crazy. Thats even taking into account that you can actually find a corporate slave job.

I just encourage you to take my advice while you can and get out while you can.Seriously though, RUN IN THE OTHER DIRECTION WHILE YOU CAN! LISTEN TO ME I ALMOST CHOSE THIS AWFUL PIT TOO! I tried to not listen to the loads of crap on SDN, but in all honesty what ppl say on here is just to help. I left to dental and I am so thankful I was able to get out of Optometry before it was too late. If you are still on the fence join "ODs on Facebook". You will then see some of the crap that optometrists share. They even admit that they won't even recommend Optometry to their own kids and some of them are not making ends meet in their practice. Reimbursements are too low and are shrinking and no one wants to pay anything for an exam because some coporate joint has a special on free exams if you buy a pair of glasses. Their is just NO VALUE built into all the education that you went through.

Hopefully this helps some of you make the right decision, but I can't wait to be part of my entering class this July School DENTAL MEDICINE!! If you have any questions feel free to contact me. Maybe Ill see you in dental school too haha. You will soon realize there is a lot of better family friendly careers that value you and your education and knowledge. So thankful I switched. MY ADVICE: RUN FOR THE HILLS from Optometry WHILE YOU CAN

Optometry suffered the same fate as law schools. I wouldn't go into either. Medical School has the saving grace of residency placement, so the Caribbean schools can't destroy that market. I think Medical/Dental school is a much safer bet.

Reactions: 2 users
So you do mean hands in mouth then.. Maybe seeing the patient every six months instead of on a yearly basis?

you're not very smart are you, makes sense you would be attending optometry school.

Optometry suffered the same fate as law schools. I wouldn't go into either. Medical School has the saving grace of residency placement, so the Caribbean schools can't destroy that market. I think Medical/Dental school is a much safer bet.
There aren't that many optometry programs right? According to wikipedia there are only 21. Dental has 3x as many schools.

There aren't that many optometry programs right? According to wikipedia there are only 21. Dental has 3x as many schools.

A post from a few months ago
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT OPTOMETRY:

I will tell you, without a doubt, now is the worst time in history to go into Optometry. While we've gain some medical treating privileges (and some basic, tiny surgical ones)..........completely by our organization bribing senators with lots of dough, the number of new graduates from a 5-7 new OD schools, is/will kill opportunity. With 14 OD schools, we were already graduating more ODs than needed. With the extra ones, you will be lucky to piece together 3-4 part-time jobs paying $60,000/yr ($45,000/yr after taxes) while trying to pay back $150,000 - $2500,00 worth of school loans. You will be paying $2,000/month just paying back your school loans. For all your hard work, you will be essentially make the salary of a teacher or police officer. All the while you will get burned out from most every job you have (90% will be in a closet in a 'store') while doing 40 refractions per day (America's Best, Walmart, Vision Works, etc.....). You will last 6 months at each place. The owner will not care because you are a dime a dozen. Another OD is just salivating to take your spot.

10-20% of you MIGHT.......might land an associate job with an established OD. He will promise you a partnership in a few years while refusing to put anything in writing, paying you $60,000 because (you're building equity, right). Again he doesn't care. He needs a refractionist because ODs are too stupid to let high school techs refract (while most every OMD has one or 20 refracting techs that pretty much do 90% of an ODs job). It takes a trained monkey to refract. Hell you can teach a tech to do every right up to viewing in the slit lamp.

5% of you might have the balls and money to start their own place or buy an established place. There ARE still some opportunities out there. But for 100 ODs a year, not 2,000 (while probably 100 per year retire or die). Optometry is a job you can do until you're a 120 as long as your arms work. So very few retire. Most just let their little 1,000 sq ft office die away and try to sell their 50 year old equipment while they just shut the door.

What else.............ahhh............In the 15 years I've been an OD, I've seen reimbursement drop on virtually EVERY procedure we do. Some in HALF. While we were getting $75 per exam from some medical and vision plans, many are now dropping to $25-$30. Why............say it together class- SUPPLY AND DEMAND. A insurance plan KNOW's they can pay as little as they want because there are always 1,000's ODs that will take whatever they offer.

The only doctoral health care professions worse than Optometry is Pharmacy (who the hell wants to stand behind the counter at Walgreen's 60 hours a week directing Aunt Edna to the hemorrhoid isle). And Chiropractic......well, they are just glorified massage techs. Like optometry, their organization has paid off enough senators that they are "Doctors" able to suck money from Medicaid and Medicare for "adjustments" that take 1,000 visits.

I've mentioned all the downfalls of Optometry before. Without fail, some people get really mad. They say I'm not a real OD. I'm a loser and that's why I'm disgruntled (actually I started my own office from scratch and make about $140,000/yr and purchased my own building). So it can be done. But I will tell you I worked much harder than the dentist right beside me that started the same time. She is bringing in $200,000 working 4 days per week. Off Fri with 3 day weekends always. Dentistry is the only profession I'd recommend because they have NO competition and still many cash procedures.

So get mad if you want. This is not what you want to hear if you are all gung-ho on going to Optometry school. You will meet some successful optometrist and think, "hey, they don't look all that smart. If they can do it, I can too). But you got to remember, they did it at a much different time. They had $40,000 of school loans. Much less competition (no Walmarts or mail-order glasses and contacts, no other OD to their left and right, $300 contact lenses). We compete with OMDs, each other, opticians, Big corporations, urgent cares, pediatricians, family docs, etc.....). ODs are rarely the first place a person goes with an eye injury.

Take this free advice if you will. Ignore it. Makes no difference to me.

Reactions: 1 users
you're not very smart are you, makes sense you would be attending optometry school.

Or maybe you count the time spent with the hygienist.

I love the recent interest Dental students are taking in Optometry, along with their infallible expertise.

Its too bad that Optometry is going down the toilet, I was thinking about entering the profession back in high school. Use to be a great little gig: only 4 years after college, get to be called Dr., minimal blood, no dealing with poop or pee, didn't have to deal with people diving, very few people calling you in the middle of the night, and laid back profession that made 110K/year. Great little field.

What happened?

Its too bad that Optometry is going down the toilet, I was thinking about entering the profession back in high school. Use to be a great little gig: only 4 years after college, get to be called Dr., minimal blood, no dealing with poop or pee, didn't have to deal with people diving, very few people calling you in the middle of the night, and laid back profession that made 110K/year. Great little field.

What happened?

Suddenly Optometry school doesn't take four years, isn't a doctorate program, involves blood and death, calls in the middle of the night and people are soiling themselves during eye exams?

Reactions: 5 users
Suddenly Optometry school doesn't take four years, isn't a doctorate program, involves blood and death, calls in the middle of the night and people are soiling themselves during eye exams?

Exactly.

What happened?
I agree, I hate divers too.

I just wanted to chime in and thank those that are still pursuing this field. I needed to wear glasses from the first grade forward, and so I have been sincerely appreciative of your care from early on. Your work allows me to provide care to my own patients. Thank you.

A year ago I suffered from a severe conjunctivitis. I admitted myself into the ER as I no longer could see clearly and it was impacting my work with patients. The PA who saw me said he never saw such a severe case before, and after looking into my eyes, quickly got on his cell phone and asked his friend, an ophthalmologist, to urgently see me in the morning. I had been to the ER before at a different hospital over the same issue, but the nurses only prescribed antibiotic ointment and it had done nothing to stem the inflammation and discomfort. The ophthalmologist said his schedule was full, but he would see me before his scheduled patients.

It felt like sandpaper whenever I blinked, leaving them feeling raw and exposed. My eyes were swollen, flush red, and my eyesight now was worsening. The doctor came in, took a look, and promptly asked the doctor next door to take a look. A pre-med student also was signaled over to take a look since my eyes were an interesting case. The doctor next door was a professor at UW medical school and he quickly diagnosed me as having adenoviral conjunctivitis, but the severity of the case was what took most medical staff by surprise. They recommended tear ointments to stem the discomfort, but told me to let the virus run its course.

As the days progressed, I had more difficulty keeping my eyes open and being able to see. Corneal infiltrates were accumulating and the irritation from the infection was causing more and more discomfort. I decided I needed another opinion since I didn't feel comfortable driving. My parents came and brought me to my hometown and scheduled an appointment with our optometrist. A few days later, I came in and he took time to examine me.

Eventually he decided to put me on a course of corticosteroids with careful and slow tapering. He extracted the psuedomembranes that had developed (that was ****ing painful, bleeding from my eyes was not fun), and sent me on my way after asking me to follow up with him and to keep in touch. Quickly, my eyes recovered and over the next few months (yeah, months), my vision returned fully.

I have full respect of your profession. Thank you to those that have pursued it, many have benefited from your care.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I just wanted to chime in and thank those that are still pursuing this field. I needed to wear glasses from the first grade forward, and so I have been sincerely appreciative of your care from early on. Your work allows me to provide care to my own patients. Thank you.

A year ago I suffered from a severe conjunctivitis. I admitted myself into the ER as I no longer could see clearly and it was impacting my work with patients. The PA who saw me said he never saw such a severe case before, and after looking into my eyes, quickly got on his cell phone and asked his friend, an ophthalmologist, to urgently see me in the morning. I had been to the ER before at a different hospital over the same issue, but the nurses only prescribed antibiotic ointment and it had done nothing to stem the inflammation and discomfort. The ophthalmologist said his schedule was full, but he would see me before his scheduled patients.

It felt like sandpaper whenever I blinked, leaving them feeling raw and exposed. My eyes were swollen, flush red, and my eyesight now was worsening. The doctor came in, took a look, and promptly asked the doctor next door to take a look. A pre-med student also was signaled over to take a look since my eyes were an interesting case. The doctor next door was a professor at UW medical school and he quickly diagnosed me as having adenoviral conjunctivitis, but the severity of the case was what took most medical staff by surprise. They recommended tear ointments to stem the discomfort, but told me to let the virus run its course.

As the days progressed, I had more difficulty keeping my eyes open and being able to see. Corneal infiltrates were accumulating and the irritation from the infection was causing more and more discomfort. I decided I needed another opinion since I didn't feel comfortable driving. My parents came and brought me to my hometown and scheduled an appointment with our optometrist. A few days later, I came in and he took time to examine me.

Eventually he decided to put me on a course of corticosteroids with careful and slow tapering. He extracted the psuedomembranes that had developed (that was ****ing painful, bleeding from my eyes was not fun), and sent me on my way after asking me to follow up with him and to keep in touch. Quickly, my eyes recovered and over the next few months (yeah, months), my vision returned fully.

I have full respect of your profession. Thank you to those that have pursued it, many have benefited from your care.

Wow. Thats a crazy story, and Im really glad you made a full recovery.

I didn't even know that ODs could do eye extractions. I know in some states they had training in minor later surgical procedures.

Wow. Thats a crazy story, and Im really glad you made a full recovery.

I didn't even know that ODs could do eye extractions. I know in some states they had training in minor later surgical procedures.

Is this what you do when nothing interesting is happening on the pharmacy forums?

Eye extractions? It was a pseudomembrane peel. Takes 1 second with a cotton swab to wipe away mucus. No bleed, no anything.

It's insane how practitioners prescribe in the ER for red-eye's when they don't even have a slit lamp microscope to look at the eye.

Eye extractions? It was a pseudomembrane peel. Takes 1 second with a cotton swab to wipe away mucus. No bleed, no anything.

It's insane how practitioners prescribe in the ER for red-eye's when they don't even have a slit lamp microscope to look at the eye.

Removing the pseudomembranes certainly did bleed. He placed some numbing drops, but they didn't help too much.

A true pseudomembrane shouldn't bleed. That's why it's called pseudo.

1. How can one clinically differenitate between a conjunctival membrane and a conjunctival pseudomembrane?
Answer: Removal of a true membrane is difficult and causes bleeding whereas removal of a pseudomembrane is easy and does not produce bleeding.

http://www.djo.harvard.edu/site.php?url=/physicians/kr/462&page=KR_AN

Just wanted to chime in as a new 2016 optometry graduate.

Myself and many of my peers had full time jobs lined up before graduation or shortly after. Some people do work at multiple offices to begin but it's nice because it gives them a chance to see how different settings are and figure out where they want to end up full time. The starting pay is around $50-60 per hour for new grads in Southern California. I have been working at a primary care private practice office and enjoying seeing a wide variety of cases and building a relationship with patients. I also know of a few retiring doctors looking to pass their practice on. A lot of claims made by the original post were speculation and guesses of what life is like after you graduate and enter the profession. I am not simply refracting. I do comprehensive exams with dilation and just in the first month of practice I have treated an iritis patient, corneal ulcer and referred many patients for cataract and retina evaluations. I love this profession and I came right out of school into a comfortable salary in my ideal location. And I would say that most of the peers are in similar situations.

My advice: yes, it's a hard and expensive program. Do it if you love the profession. Don't get scared by these posts, you will be fine after.

Reactions: 3 users
Just wanted to chime in as a new 2016 optometry graduate.

Myself and many of my peers had full time jobs lined up before graduation or shortly after. Some people do work at multiple offices to begin but it's nice because it gives them a chance to see how different settings are and figure out where they want to end up full time. The starting pay is around $50-60 per hour for new grads in Southern California. I have been working at a primary care private practice office and enjoying seeing a wide variety of cases and building a relationship with patients. I also know of a few retiring doctors looking to pass their practice on. A lot of claims made by the original post were speculation and guesses of what life is like after you graduate and enter the profession. I am not simply refracting. I do comprehensive exams with dilation and just in the first month of practice I have treated an iritis patient, corneal ulcer and referred many patients for cataract and retina evaluations. I love this profession and I came right out of school into a comfortable salary in my ideal location. And I would say that most of the peers are in similar situations.

My advice: yes, it's a hard and expensive program. Do it if you love the profession. Don't get scared by these posts, you will be fine after.

How many hours per week?

^ above poster said he had a full time job.

Congrats. I met a couple of the residents at UCBSO at their resident forum last month as they're finishing their grand rounds and residency program (ended 4 days ago), and several them are still looking for jobs to fit their needs. It's tough sometimes.

You quoted a paragraph that is simply based on an opinion. What's incorrect about it? The fact that there is no patient-doctor interaction in a dentist field? Haha, when was the last time you sat in the dentist chair with your mouth wide open, held by those giant metal tools, and you had a nice conversation with your dentist at the same time? Every single person I know who has been to the dentist actually gets annoying when the dentist tries talking to them and they can't reply back.

My other point in that paragraph that wasn't an opinion is that Dentistry has one of the highest suicide rates. I didn't say "THE" highest suicide rates. But it is actually a fact that dentistry is pretty up there. "Just for the record"

some things just don't need to be expressed..dentistry is more of a boys club

Last edited:
some things just don't need to be expressed..dentistry is more of a boys club

Meh.

Used to be. No longer true. Note the bolded sentence. This was 4 years ago (note also this is the percentage of students ENROLLED, meaning all 4 years, not just incoming D1's), so this is not a new development. I would hazard that females in dental school now slightly outnumber males.

http://www.dentaleconomics.com/arti...rends-and-the-future-of-dental-practices.html

Gender and work status
Figure 1 also shows the percent of female dentists. Prior to the 1980s, female dentists were a small segment of the dental workforce; less than 3% of all dentists in 1980 were female. With women currently representing an estimated 27% of the dental workforce, the rapid growth in female participation over the past few decades is obvious. Dental enrollment trends indicate that female participation in the dental workforce should increase to approximately 31% by 2020. In academic year 2012-2013, 47.9% of the students enrolled in dental school were women.

Last edited:
Meh.

Used to be. No longer true. Note the bolded sentence. This was 4 years ago (note also this is the percentage of students ENROLLED, meaning all 4 years, not just incoming D1's), so this is not a new development. I would hazard that females in dental school now slightly outnumber males.

http://www.dentaleconomics.com/arti...rends-and-the-future-of-dental-practices.html

Gender and work status
Figure 1 also shows the percent of female dentists. Prior to the 1980s, female dentists were a small segment of the dental workforce; less than 3% of all dentists in 1980 were female. With women currently representing an estimated 27% of the dental workforce, the rapid growth in female participation over the past few decades is obvious. Dental enrollment trends indicate that female participation in the dental workforce should increase to approximately 31% by 2020. In academic year 2012-2013, 47.9% of the students enrolled in dental school were women.
but how many women are actually running their own clinics and not subordinating offices? money can't buy managerial discipline.

Last edited:
but how many women are actually running their own clinics and not subordinating offices? money can't buy managerial discipline.

Not sure if I understand your question? or is it a statement.

If there are less women who are practice/office/clinic owners (when comparing graduates of the same year group - as obviously there are more "older" dentist who are owners), then that is more than likely a lifestyle choice.

Not sure if I understand your question? or is it a statement.

If there are less women who are practice/office/clinic owners (when comparing graduates of the same year group - as obviously there are more "older" dentist who are owners), then that is more than likely a lifestyle choice.
managerial and business discipline is directly rooted in patriarchal history. dentistry is a boys club because it caters to introverted masculine ideals. the person i was originally responding to was talking about lifestyle and subjective experiences statistics is irrelevant

managerial and business discipline is directly rooted in patriarchal history. dentistry is a boys club because it caters to introverted masculine ideals. the person i was originally responding to was talking about lifestyle and subjective experiences statistics is irrelevant

Lol.

Dentistry doesn't "cater" to anything, much less, what you label as "masculine ideals".

I really appreciate the info people are sharing in this forum.
Optometry is a great and well respected profession !! No doubts about that

I have some concerns,

I would appreciate if you can add something to it !! – DocJL, Caesar 21 , Eyezon Eyez and others too !!!!

As mentioned, I have seen the profession very closely – I know the fact that – optometry practice can be different types, - such as OD/MD practice – or working as an associate with some already established optometrist – or working at different optical stores such as walmart/lenskrafters/generic store or your own practice.

I was trying to crunch some numbers – coz I realize the amount of debt I would be under, so would want your help

Wanted to know, in today’s time – which is highly competitive – practically with real world examples –

how many patients does one optom see in a month on an average working 5 days a week – I know the question is subjective – but to the best of your knowledge, not pointing towards anybody - taking some examples or your friends or a few other people in the same profession.

Some of the optometrists that I shadowed about 1.5 years back , use to see about more than 325-360 patients a month at any given time. Those are great nos. But these optoms have a 30 years old practice.
I know that optoms who graduated 5 years back - or for that matter 1 year back - would obviously have some different no.s to share - that's actually what I wanted to know - coz i would be going through the same heat / touch time in the initial years.

I know that you have seen the market and this profession more than me – thus I would like to know that is this somewhat same (the no.s) with all optometrists or is it just few of them, that reaches that benchmark – and how few ?

These numbers would help me know – how the market is currently – and how much time would it take me to come off my debt.

I know that I am inquiring pretty in depth – that’s only because I am really considering this profession for myself. It has some IFFYS – but overall – not that bad.

///

I have some concerns,

I would appreciate if you can add something to it !! – DocJL, Caesar 21 , Eyezon Eyez and others too !!!!

As mentioned, I have seen the profession very closely – I know the fact that – optometry practice can be different types, - such as OD/MD practice – or working as an associate with some already established optometrist – or working at different optical stores such as walmart/lenskrafters/generic store or your own practice.

I was trying to crunch some numbers – coz I realize the amount of debt I would be under, so would want your help

Wanted to know, in today’s time – which is highly competitive – practically with real world examples –

how many patients does one optom see in a month on an average working 5 days a week – I know the question is subjective – but to the best of your knowledge, not pointing towards anybody - taking some examples or your friends or a few other people in the same profession.

Some of the optometrists that I shadowed about 1.5 years back , use to see about more than 325-360 patients a month at any given time. Those are great nos. But these optoms have a 30 years old practice.
I know that optoms who graduated 5 years back - or for that matter 1 year back - would obviously have some different no.s to share - that's actually what I wanted to know - coz i would be going through the same heat / touch time in the initial years.

I know that you have seen the market and this profession more than me – thus I would like to know that is this somewhat same (the no.s) with all optometrists or is it just few of them, that reaches that benchmark – and how few ?

These numbers would help me know – how the market is currently – and how much time would it take me to come off my debt.

I know that I am inquiring pretty in depth – that’s only because I am really considering this profession for myself. Ithas some IFFYS – but overall – not that bad.

I have some concerns,

I know that I am inquiring pretty in depth – that’s only because I am really considering this profession for myself. Ithas some IFFYS – but overall – not that bad.

I have seen many patients thanking many times and hugging after they are being able to see clearly or after they found out they have certain eye disorders which they are not aware of for many years. So I'd says just don't generalize a profession but show mutual respect for each other instead of pointing out unnecessary stuffs. All the medical field professionals depend on each other in some ways, while one profession can make more money than others but at the end of the day each medical professional makes a difference in patients lives in their own specific ways.[/QUOTE]
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I have some concerns,