Do not have a non-science faculty LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noleknight16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non-trad student who went back to school to fulfill science class pre reqs. I have 2 science letters and 3 other letters (2 from volunteering experience and 1 letter from my research).

Will I be allowed to substitute the non science faculty letter for one of my three other letters?

Members don't see this ad.

You can try emailing schools that require it to explain your situation and see if they'll let you substitute it with another letter. If I recall correctly, a few people had success doing this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Non-trad student who went back to school to fulfill science class pre reqs. I have 2 science letters and 3 other letters (2 from volunteering experience and 1 letter from my research).

Will I be allowed to substitute the non science faculty letter for one of my three other letters?

I had a similar issue earlier this year. Is there any way you'd be able to contact any sort of non-science professor you had in the past? I contacted profs in humanities from 5 years ago and they were happy to oblige writing me one as soon I sent updates on my information. worst case scenario you can offer to be interviewed. it'd really help your app and give you less things to worry about. that's why i did it.

Agree with @justAstudent and @mrh125 Contact the schools and old professors. Also, it is my impression that schools assume that most of their candidates will be less removed from undergrad (in terms of time) than your typical non-trad. This may account for stricter letter policies on their websites, but for non-trad's they actually might have different standards.

Reactions: 1 user
Only about 25% of schools explicitly require a nonscience letter. You can still apply broadly without one.

If your school has a committee letter, I believe that would override many of the schools specific LOR requirements as they either require a committee letter or their own choosing of individual letters.

Last edited:
I'm looking at my university's faculty for my major. I had a non science major but only a few of my professors from undergrad are still there.

I'll see if I can contact one. Thanks guys.

Too bad Dirac isn't around. He'd make for a splendid lor source.

Sorry this isn't helpful. It made me laugh.