Do online research opportunities exist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krystal_09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

This might be a little far out there. But I am wondering if there are online research opportunities available? In my current situation I am staying at home with my children and I would like to begin doing research or getting involved somehow while I apply and hopefully begin my Masters. There is no way for me to physically go and do research at a lab currently. If anyone has heard of any opportunities like this please let me know. Also, if anyone knows any online Masters programs that are accredited and worth it feel free to share. I don't feel ready to apply to a Psy. D program just yet and doing a Masters feels like the best route.

Thank you,

Krystal Gomez

Members don't see this ad.

I can't recommend anything that I would consider a valuable experience (from an actual learning/mentoring perspective as well as from the perspective of how you would look as an applicant) that wouldn't involve coming to campus and spending time with researchers in the lab. I also would not recommend any online program for a clinical degree.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't recommend anything that I would consider a valuable experience (from an actual learning/mentoring perspective as well as from the perspective of how you would look as an applicant) that wouldn't involve coming to campus and spending time with researchers in the lab. I also would not recommend any online program for a clinical degree.

Thank you for answering. This is disappointing but understandable. :( I am not sure what I can do at this point. I have a 3.04 from Florida International University. As I have stated before on other forums, I was on a pre-med track and my GPA dropped drastically from a 3.8 to a 3.04. I feel lost at this point on what to do. I often wonder if a Masters would benefit me or if I should just be patient and get involved in research once I can. My plan would ultimately be to get into a Clinical Psychology Psy.D. program, but I am overwhelmed by the information offered online and the different things advisors continue to tell me.

I can't think of any... and I would generally stay away from any all-online program. However, having a strong background in statistics would be a huge asset for applying for future research positions OR applying to MA/MS/PhD programs I would think. So if you could take some more advanced statistics classes, especially if they are courses that use SPSS, you might consider that- you could prob take an online course or 2 or 3 for that (a few online classes being different than going all in for an entire degree program). You could also reach out to any people you know who are in the field and doing research and ask them if there is anything at all you could do to help them (e.g., proof papers, help with recruitment for participants) but even so I can't think of much you could do from home. But it is always worth asking because you never know what other people will come up with or who else they might be able to put you in touch with later. Too bad you didn't post this a few months ago, lol, because I would have loooved help with my recruitment for my online survey that I'm using for my dissertation :) Ask around; you never know what might pop up. Do you have any research background at all? Might help if ppl knew what your current skillset is to get an idea of 1) what you're capable of and 2) what would or wouldn't be helpful experience for you at this point. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user