DO only 3.2/3.1 26

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

05silvergt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My mcat scores are finally in, so I think everyone here may be able to give me a fair, unbiased guess at what my chances may be.

3.2 cGPA
3.1 sGPA
26 mcat (7/10/9)

I have probably 75 hours shadowing 3 separate physicians (1 MD & 2 DO) and probably close to 100 volunteer hours through my church. I am a Kentucky resident and am applying to only DO schools this cycle due to my weak stats. Also, I have worked as an non-certified pharmacy technician for four years.

School list: (may add as the cycle progresses)

Pikeville
LMU
PCOM - Ga
VCOM - Va
LECOM
WCU
NOVA

Thanks again folks, this forum has been a wealth of information.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My mcat scores are finally in, so I think everyone here may be able to give me a fair, unbiased guess at what my chances may be.

3.2 cGPA
3.1 sGPA
26 mcat (7/10/9)

I have probably 75 hours shadowing 3 separate physicians (1 MD & 2 DO) and probably close to 100 volunteer hours through my church. I am a Kentucky resident and am applying to only DO schools this cycle due to my weak stats.

School list: (may add as the cycle progresses)

Pikeville
LMU
PCOM - Ga
VCOM - Va
LECOM
WCU
NOVA

Thanks again folks, this forum has been a wealth of information.
To be honest, I think you may need to do a post-baccalaureate. I can see you having a shot at WCU possibly, but probably not a NOVA. Why didn't you apply to KYCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would add CUSOM, MUCOM, WVSOM, ACOM, Touros, and ATSU's.

Do you have any other EC's??? If you don't I would say you don't have a great chance this cycle considering your other stats.

your ECs super weak if thats all of them? im applying with a 3.25/3.29 26 mcat so our numbers arent far apart but im also applying with around 400 hours of volunteer, 100-200 hours clinical, 400 hours of shadowing, 70 hours of tutoring, and leadership experience. work on your ecs id say if you dont get in this cycle and retake some classes or do a SMP.

I forgot to mention that I have worked as a pharmacy technician for 4 years (albeit no a certified one). I'll add it to the OP, for future viewers.

Thanks again.

i would say broaden your list quite a bit too, im not sure if WCU would be wise- they screen heavily for secondaries and have a very large preference for gulf states. your best bet is def pikeville, also look into the new schools.

Add the new schools - Marian, Campbell, and the Alabama one. Typically, you'll have a better chance with those schools.

I think WVSOM would be a good addition, but their OOS tuition is ridiculous. Apply to all LECOMs (in case you weren't already).

You've got a shot if you apply broadly. You might get waitlisted, but then you might be pulled off of it or offered a spot in the next year's class. Good luck.

i would say broaden your list quite a bit too, im not sure if WCU would be wise- they screen heavily for secondaries and have a very large preference for gulf states. your best bet is def pikeville, also look into the new schools.

I didn't know they screened so heavily, I'll have to read through their thread again. But, I really think I have chance at Pikeville too. Both of the DOs I shadowed graduated from there, and the one who is writing my LOR is a GS faculty member.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=933373

I hope the link works... I was in same situation as you are and got in to DO school. Above link should lead you to my thread and if not I'll email it to you.

thanks

Thanks for the encouragement, although your gpa kills mine 3.9>>>3.2 lol.

Add the new schools - Marian, Campbell, and the Alabama one. Typically, you'll have a better chance with those schools.

I think WVSOM would be a good addition, but their OOS tuition is ridiculous. Apply to all LECOMs (in case you weren't already).

You've got a shot if you apply broadly. You might get waitlisted, but then you might be pulled off of it or offered a spot in the next year's class. Good luck.

I'm worrisome about applying to new schools. A couple of years ago I was accepted to a new pharmacy school and was burned. However, it did give me time to realize I had no desire to go to pharmacy school at all. I agree WVSOM does have ridiculous OOS tuition, which is why I'm holding off for now.