do or don't? applying to peds without step 2 score.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeesnob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I scored between 240-250 on step 1, and I am not confident I can do well on step 2 ck. If I do worse on step 2 (compared to my step 1), I am afraid it will look really bad. Some MS4s advised that I take step 2 later, so it is not submitted to ERAS before the interview.

But some said you NEED step 2 score submitted before ranking, so program directors will see my step 2 score soon or later. Then, what's the benefit of taking step 2 late?

I am an MS3 by the way.

Members don't see this ad.

This is really a silly thing to be worried about 2 months into MS3. I promise you, every MS3 out there is freaking out and feeling a little overwhelmed about being in a clinical environment for the first time, and you're going to learn a lot simply by completing the next 11 months of school. If for some reason over the course of the year you aren't doing well on your shelf exams, cross that bridge when you get there.

To answer your question, this seems to be program dependent. When I applied, I seem to recall there were a handful of programs which strongly advised you on their website to submit your Step 2 CK score prior to ranking, but I don't think they were in the majority (no idea if things may be changing). Honestly, unless the bottom falls out and your score drops by 20-30 points, and even then your step 1 score is generally seen as more meaningful.

This is really a silly thing to be worried about 2 months into MS3. I promise you, every MS3 out there is freaking out and feeling a little overwhelmed about being in a clinical environment for the first time, and you're going to learn a lot simply by completing the next 11 months of school. If for some reason over the course of the year you aren't doing well on your shelf exams, cross that bridge when you get there.

To answer your question, this seems to be program dependent. When I applied, I seem to recall there were a handful of programs which strongly advised you on their website to submit your Step 2 CK score prior to ranking, but I don't think they were in the majority (no idea if things may be changing). Honestly, unless the bottom falls out and your score drops by 20-30 points, and even then your step 1 score is generally seen as more meaningful.

Thank you for putting some sense in me! I tend to worry about everything...