Do OT's have to be strong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaCksm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a junior in high school and I am looking at being a OT, PT, Nurse, or Doctor. My dream job is being some kind of doctor. I want to help people in life. But, I am a pretty short and small girl. Around 5'2 in height, 113 pounds, and pretty weak arm-muscle wise. Since being an OT and a PT we would have to carry patients around that cannot walk, so their whole weight is depends on us. Many overweight people or tall people will come to an OT. Will I have to be pretty strong or buff to be able to be an OT or PT?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

hi
welcome, its not true that OT & PT have to carry people around. so you dont have to be strong to be an OT or PT. People that cannot walk have wheel chairs.

hi
welcome, its not true that OT & PT have to carry people around. so you dont have to be strong to be an OT or PT. People that cannot walk have wheel chairs.
Thank you very much!
I heard it is still very physically demanding though. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad :)
would it be sarcastic to point out that 80% of OT's are female?
Unless they are all burly weightlifters.... hehehe

Unlike nurses we are taught safe methods of lifting and trransfering patients. And if the going gets tough, the w h o l e department helps pulling someone up. Dont worry about it.

Just like SuperCota said, OTs are taught methods to perform safe transfers. I am not at all strong (especially in my upper body) but can transfer very large individuals. It is all about leverage. It takes practice, but you'll get it!