do people still party in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronaldo23

The Truth
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
would you say a good amount of med school students go out on fri or sat nights, or a small percentage?

Members don't see this ad.

how do you think they keep sane?:eek:

Based on personal experience, people party less often but "harder" in med school. You can't go out every weekend, you're stressed all the time, so when you do go out you make the most of it. Med students are a bunch of pseudo-alcoholics if you ask me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, med school is like high school all over again with there being some cliqueyness. And some of those groups like to party more than others.

The only difference is that they are more likely to know when they've had enough. I found it really funny when I said with my student host once that they switched from "party hard" to "study hard" in the same sentence! :p

Yes. Pretty often too. Except on test weekends which for us is like every 3-4 weeks in years 1-2. You can expect to have free time on fridays and some saturdays (at my school that is) most weekends.

Trust me, they do. Especially when anatomy is over.

would you say a good amount of med school students go out on fri or sat nights, or a small percentage?

I start school this med school this july, and I plan on partying.

Based on personal experience, people party less often but "harder" in med school. You can't go out every weekend, you're stressed all the time, so when you do go out you make the most of it. Med students are a bunch of pseudo-alcoholics if you ask me.

It's that work hard play hard mindset. We are all in this trying to be doctors, but it sounds like med school is gonna be very unhealthy. How do you personally feel your health has been affected?

It's that work hard play hard mindset. We are all in this trying to be doctors, but it sounds like med school is gonna be very unhealthy. How do you personally feel your health has been affected?
You have to know your limits and be safe, though that is easier said than done, particularly when you're blowing off so much stress. You just have to remember that people our age aren't immortal, even when partying...it was a tragically sad reminder when a 4th year student passed away last year in an alcohol-related incident. Just be smart about it.

And as far as the toking up question, I have classmates who do occasionally and a few who do regularly, but they're exceedingly bright people and it doesn't affect them one bit. Whether they're still doing that now that we're on rotations, I have no idea.

Edit: I just reread your question and realized maybe you were asking about health in more general terms. It is difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle in med school and you just have to force yourself to get enough sleep and to exercise regularly. The sleep thing I'm pretty good at doing...I regularly get 7+ hours (even on rotations) except the nights before tests and nights when I'm on late call. The regular exercise is still very much a work in progress for me.

do med school students toke up or just get really wasted

na, i have a friend who's a resident in miami (FL). he and the other residents toke up all the time, not kidding you.

actually when i was visiting him, he was a lil above the legal limit and got pulled over. the cop would have arrested him but when he found out he was a doctor the cop went "don't be stupid like this again. if it wasn't for the fact the world needs more smart ppl like you, i'd arrest you right now. think next time." and let him go! i was scared like no other cuz i was underage myself!!

Members don't see this ad :)
na, i have a friend who's a resident in miami (FL). he and the other residents toke up all the time, not kidding you.

actually when i was visiting him, he was a lil above the legal limit and got pulled over. the cop would have arrested him but when he found out he was a doctor the cop went "don't be stupid like this again. if it wasn't for the fact the world needs more smart ppl like you, i'd arrest you right now. think next time." and let him go! i was scared like no other cuz i was underage myself!!

hmm why do I smell BS?

i never knew there was a legal age limit for toking up. are we thinking of the same "toke up" here??

i think part 1 of post = toking up and part 2 = drinking and driving
??

i never knew there was a legal age limit for toking up. are we thinking of the same "toke up" here??

I think he was talking about a time when his friend was drinking, not smoking :)

The regular exercise is still very much a work in progress for me.

Yea, if I'm not exercising regularly, I feel like shlt. That's probably gonna be the toughest thing to squeeze in. I know in undergrad, exercise usually took a back seat during exam weeks, and I figure the med school environment to be like that everyday.

Yea, if I'm not exercising regularly, I feel like shlt. That's probably gonna be the toughest thing to squeeze in. I know in undergrad, exercise usually took a back seat during exam weeks, and I figure the med school environment to be like that everyday.

just do a little bit everyday...in undergrad, i would workout about 2-3 hours a day, just taking my time,lifting,playing sports,etc. during finals and such i would just workout a little bit everyday. about an hour of no slacking off, hardcore work..

hmm why do I smell BS?

nope. no joke. pretty tight. afterward he was like "i pulled the doctor card!" and later he told the residents and they were like "always works." no, i'm not making this is up...including about the toking up either.

At one of my interviews I befriended a student who had the misfortune of working for a family business the night everyone else went out post test partying.

SO he hung out with me after my interview and we partied around town for destressing.

Yeah, I would say from this small sampling size that they still have fun, but are limited by schedules.

I might make an extra special color code for my "partying" blocs on my calendar.

yes, but the time-frame is different.

In undergrad we'd hit the bars at like 11-12 and party till 2-3.
In med school we go at like 9 and most people are home at 1.

Also, if someone says to show up at 9 for a party, you really should show up at 9. If you show up 1-2h late (like you would for an undergrad party) they'll all be gone.

Also, if someone says to show up at 9 for a party, you really should show up at 9. If you show up 1-2h late (like you would for an undergrad party) they'll all be gone.

hey you go to UNC. how did you like getting slaughtered by Kansas? HAHAHA hansborough is the most overrated player EVER. player of the year? are you kidding me...

you probably loved Roy sporting the Jayhawk at the championship game even more didn't you. HAHAHAHA tarheels, OVERRATED

to quote the Simpsons,

"We Work Hard, We Play Hard"
*EVERYBODY DANCE NOW... Bmm.... Bum. bummm bum.*

Agree with this. Your party nights are going to be fewer and much shorter. And you will not be drinking to the point that it will impair you hitting the books hard early the next day. So for a lot of us, it was a HUGE change from undergrad when you probably had several late nights a week and might have a totally wasted weekend now and then. In med school you budget your time -- if you want to go out on Friday night you can, but you'd still plan to be in the library at a reasonably early time on Saturday. There will be a ton of people who only cut loose and go out the night after a test though. You may not have many takers if you are looking for a crowd at the bars on a regular basis.

lol.....

probably alot less than college

And you will not be drinking to the point that it will impair you hitting the books hard early the next day.
I wouldn't generalize about this. This is definitely different than my experience...last year, my classmates (and I also) found ourselves drinking more than we did in college (not in terms of frequency but in terms of quantity when we did drink). And this is all considering that my school had tests every other Monday (so the weekend we were going out was only a 9-10 days before the test) and a very compressed curriculum. Med school is definitely not conducive to the healthiest of lifestyles.

I usually go into lock down mode about 10 days before a test block. I make an effort to keep up, and I go to lectures. I do the reading. But I am not someone who lives in the library and has no fun. I work out, alot, go to concerts and bars, and have a life. As do my friends. You can have a life in med school. Actually, it is alot of fun.

I should add that my med school has test blocks every 6 or 7 weeks. If I had tests every other week, I would adopt a different strategy. I think you need to assess yourself, and your school, and match it and make it work. But actually, I have been able to have a sweet social life, enjoy the cultural opportunities of my city, exercise and stay healthy (may change in year 3), and just enjoy life.

Life can be good as a med student.

:confused:

You're mister party-hardy, huh? I may be wrong by the sound of the thread, but I would think, being around patients and such, that med students would be drug tested. No skin off my back if they do, but it seems stupid to mess with that regardless.

I usually go into lock down mode about 10 days before a test block. I make an effort to keep up, and I go to lectures. I do the reading. But I am not someone who lives in the library and has no fun. I work out, alot, go to concerts and bars, and have a life. As do my friends. You can have a life in med school. Actually, it is alot of fun.

That's pretty cool. Is this typical among your classmates or are you just a crazy smart person? Do you do well in class?

That's pretty cool. Is this typical among your classmates or are you just a crazy smart person? Do you do well in class?

I am not a genius. I am just a regular guy at my school. My test scores have been quite good actually, so my strategy seems to be working. You just have to find a system that works for you, in the particular environment where you are. I do have friends that are so smart that they go into lock down mode about 3 or 4 days before the test block, and do great. But I know my limitations. The key to med school is to figure out the system, and then assess what you need to do to succeed.

But it is possible to have a life.

The top guy (ranked #1) at a pretty reputable school in my neck-'o-the-woods says he takes about a week off at the beginning of every system :eek:

I wouldn't generalize about this. This is definitely different than my experience...last year, my classmates (and I also) found ourselves drinking more than we did in college (not in terms of frequency but in terms of quantity when we did drink). And this is all considering that my school had tests every other Monday (so the weekend we were going out was only a 9-10 days before the test) and a very compressed curriculum. Med school is definitely not conducive to the healthiest of lifestyles.

I mean, we had our nights... but I still drank more in college...

Do med students still do what? Stop using words I don't know. :smuggrin:

Seriously, I'd say most med students go out after exams, and less so as exams approach. :)

:confused:

You're mister party-hardy, huh? I may be wrong by the sound of the thread, but I would think, being around patients and such, that med students would be drug tested. No skin off my back if they do, but it seems stupid to mess with that regardless.

i would think most med students steer clear of illegal activities

Oh gimme a break :rolleyes:

I went to the orientation session/tour at RWJMS and the students leading the tour said that yes, they try to relieve the stress whenever they can by working hard, partying harder. Their block system of exams makes life easy they say because they know that for five-six weeks its just course work and then they get all their exams in a row. While they say it sucks, it allows them to prepare adequately, that is if you don't procrastinate until the very last minute.

I heard of residents who shoot themselves up of morphine and other drugs because they know how to reverse it and the side-effects. Scary stuff.

I went to the orientation session/tour at RWJMS and the students leading the tour said that yes, they try to relieve the stress whenever they can by working hard, partying harder.

You have to realize that the average med student is considerably nerdier than the average college student. It's just what happens when adcoms truncate away everyone average and below, and select for the folks who really hit the books in college. So what is a lot of partying in med school is much closer to temperance than what was considered partying in college. So while some med school folks probably say they are partying hard, these are folks whose frame of reference is not that of what an average college student considers partying hard. It might seem like a lot for someone who never went out during college though, and you have a good number of those folks in med school.

You will have time to unwind now and then. But it won't be anything like the freedom you had in college. And even when you do choose to go out, you will have a head full of stresses of things you really should be doing. So you won't even enjoy it as much.

Oh gimme a break :rolleyes:

dude, are u stupid? saying most med students avoid illegal stuff isn't exactly going out on a limb. i'm not condemning weed. i'm saying that a career in medicine requires a lengthy commitment in years and any sane human being would not want to jeopardize that by doing stupid, childish things.

OK SO we settled on the partying in med school part. People still do.

What about hooking up with your classmates. Do med students do that as much in med school as in undergrad? I plan on hitting on all of my lady classmates:smuggrin:

What about hooking up with your classmates. Do med students do that as much in med school as in undergrad? I plan on hitting on all of my lady classmates:smuggrin:

Even the ones that have a husband and kids?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

percentage wise, i'd bet it's a lot higher cuz there are much less people and u get to know everyone pretty well.

percentage wise, i'd bet it's a lot higher cuz there are much less people and u get to know everyone pretty well.

Actually, people in med school seem to avoid dating class mates for the most part. Kind of like kissing your sister, I guess.