Do physical appearance matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CannabisWERD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have a better chance of getting in if your better looking and do you have a worse chance of getting in because your not so attractive? what is the myth here and is it true.?

Members don't see this ad.

they would have more problems with your SDN username than your physical appearance... and yes, they do look at SDN from time to time

The topic has a ton of psychology research behind it. Tall, attractive people are more likely to succeed at pretty much everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that you asked this question illustrates that it does matter.

I'm not saying if you're good looking with a 2.0 and a 15 you'll get into harvard, but don't think that it doesn't play into the minds of EVERYONE you interact with.

The topic has a ton of psychology research behind it. Tall, attractive people are more likely to succeed at pretty much everything.

Like Bill Gates. I know, I know...he is the exception, not the rule. Plenty of homely techies make it big... and attractive techies too. ;)

Of course it matters! That's why they ask you to send a pic in. :p

Plenty of homely techies make it big... and attractive techies too. ;)

That's only because attractive techies induce a slackjawed stupor in techies of the opposite sex.

There was a study like this on one of those Dateline / 20-20 type shows....sent in homely looking and attractive interviewers with identical credentials. Guess who fared better? :rolleyes:

They presented it as if it was some new revelation. :laugh:

Good appearance may or may not be a matter depending on different interviewers/schools. However, surely, good looking/white teeth is a plus. Patients certainly can't trust a dentist whose teeth are yellow/dirty/missing.:D

since i got in does that make me hot? Yessssssss

Sure! :laugh: All I know is schools that asked me to send in a pic like Columbia, NYU, etc I got accepted into. Versus schools like UNC, temple and UPenn that didn't ask for a pic I didn't get into...:rolleyes: so I don't know whats up with that...Temple didn't even give me an interview :confused:

***so yeah its ALL ABOUT the PHOTO!***

Members don't see this ad :)
A good appearance always gives you a +1 above others, imo. People are naturally inclined to pay more attention to something attractive.
Dentists are generally very good looking, anyway.:D

Do you have a better chance of getting in if your better looking and do you have a worse chance of getting in because your not so attractive? what is the myth here and is it true.?

Probably true. As a psychology major, I came across some researches on this issue. Yeah, tall and attractive people are winners in most cases. We are more prone to listen carefully what attractive people say.

Yet, as long as you're clean-looking and well-mannered, I don't see a problem.

If you are a guy, make sure you shave cleanly before the interview. If you are a girl, make sure you do *subtle* or *bare* make-up.

Following link is about career interviews yet I used the advice on my interview. http://careeradvice.suite101.com/article.cfm/your_appearance_at_the_interview

I'm short and average looking. Columbia liked me just fine.

i usually keep a gotee and a mustache with it.....is it appropriate to keep them for interviews??

well as 5 foot 6 i will have to agree...
we short ppl work hard for everything...lol

It can't hurt to look good, you can't go in looking like a hobo.

how about nose rings? take it out for interviews?

how about nose rings? take it out for interviews?

i read somewhere you should take all jewelry out for interviews.....but i think this was in a business interview books? there should be exceptions like wedding rings.

they would have more problems with your SDN username than your physical appearance... and yes, they do look at SDN from time to time

Most schools read SDN to find info on the current applicant cycle. Dr. Davis told my group this tidbit of information at my Columbia interview. I suggest that you change your screen name before someone figures out who you are and subsequently places your application in the circular file.

I got into school and am ugly. There is hope...but I would focus more on grades and DAT scores than rhinoplasties and blepharoplasties.

You may want to learn the ever-befuddling difference between "your" and "you're" before you worry about whether or not you're sexy enough to get the admission board's blood pumping.

:)

Sure! :laugh: All I know is schools that asked me to send in a pic like Columbia, NYU, etc I got accepted into. Versus schools like UNC, temple and UPenn that didn't ask for a pic I didn't get into...:rolleyes: so I don't know whats up with that...Temple didn't even give me an interview :confused:

***so yeah its ALL ABOUT the PHOTO!***
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You really need some self-confidence. Don't think so lowly of yourself.

...more arrogant please. :cool::cool: