Do pre-med gap years matter for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drrx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had a gap of three years between my undergrad and medschool. I worked, volunteered, researched and unemployed for a period. Will this have an impact on my residency prospects? How much do programs care about pre-med activities? Also, do residents and physicians keep all of their activities from undergrad on their CV's?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I have had a gap of three years between my undergrad and medschool. I worked, volunteered, researched and unemployed for a period. Will this have an impact on my residency prospects? How much do programs care about pre-med activities? Also, do residents and physicians keep all of their activities from undergrad on their CV's?

Thanks in advance.
You just got into medical school it seems. You have 4 years before you need to worry about this. Focus on doing well in school. That said, no, time off between undergrad and med school it isn't going to hurt you and has the potential to help you greatly on interviews if you spent that time doing something interesting.

Will this have an impact on my residency prospects?

Unless you took time off in order to be incarcerated, then no.

How much do programs care about pre-med activities?

If it's something interesting, it might come up on interviews as a conversation piece. Otherwise it's pretty meaningless.

Also, do residents and physicians keep all of their activities from undergrad on their CV's?

Residents usually yes. Attendings usually no. Unless it's an ongoing activity.

Reactions: 3 users
Residency programs look at years since graduation (from medical school) and would be unlikely to notice your pre med gap other than if there are some activities or full time work listed on your app. Nobody cares.

Thank you all for your answers!

Sure... if you won a Nobel Prize, did some sort of amazing research, or, as previously mentioned, spent some time as a guest of some government in the 3 hots and a cot bed and breakfast. Otherwise, no.

If you did research, that's something to keep on your CV, especially if you got a publication out of it. If you worked, it's worth mentioning, but may not matter one way or the other. Otherwise, there were very, very few things from undergrad that remained on my residency application. They care about teaching, research, and jobs, and that's about it.