Do pre-meds ever "shadow" medical students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What I wish is that a medical student would put a video of his/her entire day on fast forward up on youtube.

A student I'm tutoring came up with this question, but now I'm curious too.

Members don't see this ad.

What I wish is that a medical student would put a video of his/her entire day on fast forward up on youtube.

One of the programs I'm applying to has you shadowing various members of the healthcare team, from students to interns to residents to, occasionally, attendings. It happens.
However, I'd bet that most med students a) are less likely to be approached for shadowing than others and b) do not feel as if they are in a position to add a shadowee to the group. I know that the one med student where it came up for me told me that she didn't have the clout to pull that kind of thing, it'd have to come from those higher on the totem pole.

Only the really diligent ones. I applaud someone who would on their own initiative, want to see what med school is like. Typically the kids I see do this are the friends/relatives of my current students.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's really not that exciting. They get up, do their morning routine, (assuming third year) go to the hospital and preround on their patients, touch base with the residents, go to a morning conference, round, then maybe go to another noon conference (maybe not), then do various things in the afternoon to help out the residents, ranging from interviewing new patients to be admitted to calling up places for records or to schedule follow-up appointments. Then they go home and maybe study for their Shelf exam. If you're on surgery, you do really quick rounds and then scrub into surgeries or go to clinic for the rest of the day.

If you shadow an inpatient attending in academics, you'll see basically the same thing.

Reactions: 1 user
we would be the most boring people to shadow. also it would look ridiculous for a med student to have a shadow. even residents don't really get shadows

Reactions: 1 users
In a way, I did. The doctor I was shadowing sent me off with med students and residents to observe exams on patients. (This was a family practice-type pediatric environment though)

UNMC has a "Shadow a Student" program. I would know because I did it. They provided the accepted students (application and acceptance was necessary, yes) with two days a year to come and see what it's like. I shadowed one day during anatomy lecture and another during neuro. It was interesting to see what the day was like. Although, I already had some feeling for this because of a program attended the summer previously.

Anyway, moral of the story: Yes, pre-meds can (and do) shadow students.

Students shadowed medical students at my previous university - they would often, by name, be shadowing the attending - but really they were with the medical students and residents... As I resident I had pre-meds, EMT students, a midwife student...

If premeds shadowed medical students on MS-3 rotations, they would no longer want to do med school, and we'd have even a greater shortage.

Last edited:
Visit the medical school. Every one I have visited includes:

• a tour
  • Q&A with the adcoms
  • small talk with several medical students
Usually if it's a smaller group it's more personal. But going with a larger group may allow you more time at the school and other people will ask questions you wouldn't think to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
I once attended a med school lecture with a year 1 student. It was kind of boring.

Why? I mean I don't think its a great use of anyone's time, but I don't think in the vast majority of instances it would be negative.
:rolleyes: Really? You don't think if a premed who deifies medicine would change their mind about going into medicine if they watched a video of an MS-3 as they go thru different clinical rotations?

No. Why would they? You shadow to see if physician is something you really want to do. No one wants to be a professional med student.

No. Why would they? You shadow to see if physician is something you really want to do. No one wants to be a professional med student.
Yeah! And touring colleges is silly because you're only going to live there for like, 4yrs, who cares whether you would find those years of life bearable?!?

Why? I mean I don't think its a great use of anyone's time, but I don't think in the vast majority of instances it would be negative.

+1. At least for what I'm on now (essentially FM, but technically outpatient med-peds), I think pre-meds would find it interesting. Not to say it's a good use of their time or that it would even be plausible, but what I'm doing now has been pretty great. This probably won't hold true through all of my rotations, though.

Depends on what you're doing I suppose, but looking clueless, surviving medical Jeopardy every morning, and scutting it up probably doesn't fit the romanticized notion of medical school most have.

Of course, based on your previous posts it seems like you had a much different experience in med school, so I admit that in biased.

Depends on what you're doing I suppose, but looking clueless, surviving medical Jeopardy every morning, and scutting it up probably doesn't fit the romanticized notion of medical school most have.

Of course, based on your previous posts it seems like you had a much different experience in med school, so I admit that in biased.
Isn't that exactly the point, though? What is the point of shadowing if it just ends up supporting the romanticized notion of medical school we already have? In that case, trust me, I can just imagine some pretty chill things and cross my fingers that they're true.

The point is to realize that med school is not as pretty as it is in your head, and make sure you're OK with that before signing up. It's not a recruitment tool, it is (or should be) an opportunity for someone to glean what small tidbits of perspective they can before pulling the trigger and making a $200k commitment.

Yeah, bc it's not as if medical school performance leads to the final product? Nope, let's just look at the final product.

In reading mimelim's posts, it's quite obvious his experience in medical school is quite the outlier in medical school experience for most MS-3s.

Last edited:
Yeah! And touring colleges is silly because you're only going to live there for like, 4yrs, who cares whether you would find those years of life bearable?!?

It actually isn't nearly as relevant as determining if the thing that comes comes after school is something you can see yourself doing for 20-30 years. As a former medical student, I am saying shadowing me would have pointless. Now, if you have an hour to hang out with a medical student because you're shadowing at an academic center, go for it. But don't try to shadow a medical student.

Actually, since you brought it up, I think touring colleges is relatively useless unless seeing the shiny new gym and student center but crumbling lecture buildings is enough to make you run, not walk, away from that school.

Yeah, bc it's not as if medical school performance leads to the final product? Nope, let's just look at the final product.

If you're already a good student with some people skills, you'll do fine as a medical student. Shadowing is designed to see if the individual may like the end product career/job.

Stryker School of Medicine at Western Michigan University is in the process of doing exactly this.

When it is created in a few months, I will post on student doctor.

It actually isn't nearly as relevant as determining if the thing that comes comes after school is something you can see yourself doing for 20-30 years. As a former medical student, I am saying shadowing me would have pointless. Now, if you have an hour to hang out with a medical student because you're shadowing at an academic center, go for it. But don't try to shadow a medical student.

Actually, since you brought it up, I think touring colleges is relatively useless unless seeing the shiny new gym and student center but crumbling lecture buildings is enough to make you run, not walk, away from that school.
I didn't say it was as relevant as shadowing doctors, just that it wasn't pointless.
If you couldn't tell more about the schools you toured than the shiny gyms, your observation skills need some work.

If you're already a good student with some people skills, you'll do fine as a medical student. Shadowing is designed to see if the individual may like the end product career/job.
Success in medical school is more than just "people skills". As a medical student, intern, resident, many times you are put on the spot to answer pimp questions, many times sleep deprived. That's a very important piece of the puzzle.

Stryker School of Medicine at Western Michigan University is in the process of doing exactly this.

When it is created in a few months, I will post on student doctor.
Yeah, but they'll only show the "good" parts. Like every other part of med school admissions.

In reading mimelim's posts, it's quite obvious his experience in medical school is quite the outlier in medical school experience for most MS-3s.

To be honest, I think that it is more of a difference in how it is experienced than it is the actual experience being different. That or your schools are really that terrible.

To be honest, I think that it is more of a difference in how it is experienced than it is the actual experience being different. That or your schools are really that terrible.
I'm just saying that most MS-3s don't get to do as many procedures (much less by themselves) as you got to. Maybe top-tier schools are different though.

I'm just saying that most MS-3s don't get to do as many procedures (much less by themselves) as you got to. Maybe top-tier schools are different though.

I don't know what doing procedures has to do with an overall MS3 experience. The purpose of doing procedures as a student or seeing them is to lay a foundation for further refinement of skills, hardly what the average student needs (or any student for that matter). If "doing procedures" is what you consider the "good part" of being an MS3, of course you are going to be miserable. My observation of a couple dozen MS3s on the surgical service is that the ones that aren't having a good time fall into 3 categories.

#1 Someone was mean to them (another student, resident, attending, nurse etc.) some of it which has no place in any work setting, but a lot of which is very normal in any work environment, but they have never actually spent time as a non-professional student so they are a little overly sensitive.
#2 The classic, "I want a 9-5 that pays well and people respect me for it, but really I just want the money and weekends off."
#3 People who can not self study or have never learned outside of the classroom and taken ownership of their own knowledge and skills.

#1 is the institution's fault. It is about managing expectations and stamping out the truly malignant behavior/attitudes.
#2 Not sure what to do with these people, tbh.
#3 is by far the most common. Some people call it entitlement, but it really isn't. It is a fundamental flaw in how we select our students. Take the latest group of 3 interns I was working with at a neighboring institution a week ago. Only one of the 3 could do what would pass as a decent H&P. The other two essentially needed to be taught everything from scratch. Yes, they knew the structure: CC, HPI, PMH, PSH, FamHx, SocHx etc. But, when it came to actually gathering information effectively or having some sort of focus in their HPI or PE, it was obvious that they really hadn't practiced as a medical student. These are all students coming from "Top 15" schools. I'm not talking about having a perfect H&P or even having a really good one. I'm talking about a general attitude of, my H&P is the bread and butter of the rest of my career in 95%+ of physician jobs, maybe I need to do more than the minimum to develop this skill while I'm in medical school.

I let my students do more stuff if they demonstrate that they a) actually care about what they are doing for the sake of the patient and b) care enough about their own skill sets that they work to improve them. I certainly can't speak for any other residents, but in my experience, this is a pretty well shared belief. Yes, procedures are in short supply in many institutions for students. But, if that is what you really want, there are always opportunities to setup rotations at places where that isn't a problem. And, as previously stated, that isn't the purpose of MS3 or what should fulfill students in MS3.

Reactions: 2 users
#3 is by far the most common. Some people call it entitlement, but it really isn't. It is a fundamental flaw in how we select our students. Take the latest group of 3 interns I was working with at a neighboring institution a week ago. Only one of the 3 could do what would pass as a decent H&P. The other two essentially needed to be taught everything from scratch. Yes, they knew the structure: CC, HPI, PMH, PSH, FamHx, SocHx etc. But, when it came to actually gathering information effectively or having some sort of focus in their HPI or PE, it was obvious that they really hadn't practiced as a medical student. These are all students coming from "Top 15" schools. I'm not talking about having a perfect H&P or even having a really good one. I'm talking about a general attitude of, my H&P is the bread and butter of the rest of my career in 95%+ of physician jobs, maybe I need to do more than the minimum to develop this skill while I'm in medical school.
Most MS-3s don't get to actually do those things effectively without efficiency going down the tube, esp. when the patient has to go up quickly from the ER to the patient room to free up space in the ER. Doing an extended H&P works fine in your Physical Diagnosis course, not so much in a clinical ward rotation. Also how "useful" a full H&P is depends highly on the specialty itself. Part of the reason why IM is not liked by many students is that the full H&P is so ridiculously wrong and many of the data to fill in is utterly useless but is gotten anyways (i.e. Family Hx the checklist of ROS) - hence the hopping to Rads, Ophtho, Derm, Anesthesia, Path, etc. which are MUCH more narrowly focused.

Last edited:
Most MS-3s don't get to actually do those things effectively without efficiency going down the tube, esp. when the patient has to go up quickly from the ER to the patient room to free up space in the ER. Doing an extended H&P works fine in your Physical Diagnosis course, not so much in a clinical ward rotation. Also how "useful" a full H&P is depends highly on the specialty itself. Part of the reason why IM is not liked by many students is that the full H&P is so ridiculously wrong and many of the data to fill in is utterly useless but is gotten anyways (i.e. Family Hx the checklist of ROS) - hence the hopping to Rads, Ophtho, Derm, Anesthesia, Path, etc.

I ask a family history and a ROS in every H&P that I do as a surgical resident. Not sure if you meant "long" instead of "wrong", but in either case... It does matter. Certainly it matters more in some patients than others, but off the top of my head, where a FamHx or ROS mattered and changed what I/we did.... AAA, DVT, ESRD, acute stroke. I'll buy that H&Ps are less important for Rads/Path, but really not for anyone else. H&Ps are the bread and butter of Optho, anesthesia also. Want to know who the ****ty anesthesiologists are? Look for the ones that half-ass their H&Ps because they miss important things that DO matter. The same goes for surgeons. Things are briefer and much more focused, but missing things on physical exam or basics on a history is just poor form. The vast majority of physicians will be doing H&Ps as a part of their career. You should learn how to do one and do it well coming out of medical school. Don't be that guy in the community sending stuff to the tertiary or quaternary referral center with notes that don't reflect reality in any way shape or form. Don't be that Intensivist/anestesiologist that misses the 6 Fr sheath sitting in the common femoral artery on your transfer patient. Don't be that hospitalist that doesn't check a pulse exam on a patient they admitted for PVD. Don't be that general surgery resident that examined the belly, but missed the obviously cold, mottling and well... dead leg 4 days after the patient was admitted.

But, regarding students...

I don't buy the whole, "there isn't enough time." I've worked at some of the busiest hospitals in the country. Yes, I'm sure there are worse run places and yes, I'm sure that there are a lot of instances where time really is an issue, but I really doubt that it is the fundamental problem. My model was, as soon as a consult came in, I'd ask for a 10 minute head start on the resident. Most of the time they were doing something else and I'd have more time than that. Now, I routinely send the students as the first line, unless CC is something that needs me right then. They get 10-15 minutes to do their thing and then they present to me in front of the patient. I usually introduce myself to the patient and tell them, "John is going to tell me all about you now, interrupt either of us if we get something wrong." I ask my clarifying questions of the patient, do my physical exam and then walk out with the student. On the way to either find the attending or on the way to the nurses station, I like to ask, "Did you ask him about XYZ? Why is it important that we know about that in this patient?"

You don't need a resident to do that to get the benefits. Personally, I think it helps with the learning process for everyone. You can't say, you sit around and do nothing as an MS3 and then that things are too busy to learn how to do a good H&P. If you go early, ask to be told when consults come in so that you can see them first etc. you are going to learn those skills.

Reactions: 5 users
I ask a family history and a ROS in every H&P that I do as a surgical resident. Not sure if you meant "long" instead of "wrong", but in either case... It does matter. Certainly it matters more in some patients than others, but off the top of my head, where a FamHx or ROS mattered and changed what I/we did.... AAA, DVT, ESRD, acute stroke. I'll buy that H&Ps are less important for Rads/Path, but really not for anyone else. H&Ps are the bread and butter of Optho, anesthesia also. Want to know who the ****ty anesthesiologists are? Look for the ones that half-ass their H&Ps because they miss important things that DO matter. The same goes for surgeons. Things are briefer and much more focused, but missing things on physical exam or basics on a history is just poor form. The vast majority of physicians will be doing H&Ps as a part of their career. You should learn how to do one and do it well coming out of medical school. Don't be that guy in the community sending stuff to the tertiary or quaternary referral center with notes that don't reflect reality in any way shape or form. Don't be that Intensivist/anestesiologist that misses the 6 Fr sheath sitting in the common femoral artery on your transfer patient. Don't be that hospitalist that doesn't check a pulse exam on a patient they admitted for PVD. Don't be that general surgery resident that examined the belly, but missed the obviously cold, mottling and well... dead leg 4 days after the patient was admitted.

But, regarding students...

I don't buy the whole, "there isn't enough time." I've worked at some of the busiest hospitals in the country. Yes, I'm sure there are worse run places and yes, I'm sure that there are a lot of instances where time really is an issue, but I really doubt that it is the fundamental problem. My model was, as soon as a consult came in, I'd ask for a 10 minute head start on the resident. Most of the time they were doing something else and I'd have more time than that. Now, I routinely send the students as the first line, unless CC is something that needs me right then. They get 10-15 minutes to do their thing and then they present to me in front of the patient. I usually introduce myself to the patient and tell them, "John is going to tell me all about you now, interrupt either of us if we get something wrong." I ask my clarifying questions of the patient, do my physical exam and then walk out with the student. On the way to either find the attending or on the way to the nurses station, I like to ask, "Did you ask him about XYZ? Why is it important that we know about that in this patient?"

You don't need a resident to do that to get the benefits. Personally, I think it helps with the learning process for everyone. You can't say, you sit around and do nothing as an MS3 and then that things are too busy to learn how to do a good H&P. If you go early, ask to be told when consults come in so that you can see them first etc. you are going to learn those skills.
I'm more talking about this below:
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/edu...question-of-month/graduates-being-denied.page
Secondly, and sadly, US medical graduates have been passed through courses in medical school with inadequate training, despite enormous increases in tuition. Too much of their "clinical" education occurs on simulators or computers. You can pass a clinical surgery rotation without learning how to do a sterile scrub, prep a patient, or suture a wound. Most students pass obstetrics without delivering a single baby and they have never seen a pelvic exam done when they pass gynecology. Sure, they watch from the corner, but that falls short of truly educating them. Most are, however, quite adept at delivering a plastic fetus from a plastic pelvis. It is time to correct this deficiency in our medical education. The "clinical" years need to return to clinical medicine. Graduates should be able to suture, scrub, tie knots, maintain sterile technique, give at least a limited differential diagnosis, and write a progress note or operative report. If you can't do these simple things, you should not be labeled as a physician. Graduates should be able to talk to patients, not input data to manikins. I know that patient safety concerns have driven education away from direct patient care, but all this has accomplished is to defer the patient safety issues until the newly minted physicians finally do encounter real patients in residency. At some point, medicine must be learned by practicing (under supervision) on real patients.

Hence why you have many MS-3 students who aim to fake it till they make it on the clerkship, ace the shelf and get Honors on the clerkship which means nothing.

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/edu...question-of-month/graduates-being-denied.page
Secondly, and sadly, US medical graduates have been passed through courses in medical school with inadequate training, despite enormous increases in tuition. Too much of their "clinical" education occurs on simulators or computers. You can pass a clinical surgery rotation without learning how to do a sterile scrub, prep a patient, or suture a wound. Most students pass obstetrics without delivering a single baby and they have never seen a pelvic exam done when they pass gynecology. Sure, they watch from the corner, but that falls short of truly educating them. Most are, however, quite adept at delivering a plastic fetus from a plastic pelvis. It is time to correct this deficiency in our medical education. The "clinical" years need to return to clinical medicine. Graduates should be able to suture, scrub, tie knots, maintain sterile technique, give at least a limited differential diagnosis, and write a progress note or operative report. If you can't do these simple things, you should not be labeled as a physician. Graduates should be able to talk to patients, not input data to manikins. I know that patient safety concerns have driven education away from direct patient care, but all this has accomplished is to defer the patient safety issues until the newly minted physicians finally do encounter real patients in residency. At some point, medicine must be learned by practicing (under supervision) on real patients.

Hence why you have many MS-3 students who aim to fake it till they make it on the clerkship, ace the shelf and get Honors on the clerkship which means nothing.

You are quoting a comment on an article. That is the equivalent of quoting someone on SDN. I'm not saying this to detract from their point. I'm just pointing it out that this is a single PD at a primary care program that has applicants applying that fail the boards multiple times. (at least that is what they claim).

I'm not disagreeing that medical education isn't perfect. Or that some schools are worse than others. Didn't learn how to do a sterile scrub/prep a patient/suture? Really? Not a single opportunity to learn those things at a medical school? Find that hard to believe. Maybe they won't hand hold the students through all of those things, but I can virtually guarantee that every school in the US has something in place to teach students this. If you "aim to fake it" and can't see how that is the wrong way to approach your education, there is something fundamentally wrong. "Never let schooling interfere with your education." The first line of my personal statement for medical school and residency. Again, I'm not saying that medical schools couldn't be better and that the education couldn't be better. It absolutely can be improved on and it is on all educators to find ways to teach medical students as much as we can before they become residents. At the same time, I've heard people in the same clerkships as me complain about these kinds of things, despite the opportunities being abundant and all around them.

You are quoting a comment on an article. That is the equivalent of quoting someone on SDN. I'm not saying this to detract from their point. I'm just pointing it out that this is a single PD at a primary care program that has applicants applying that fail the boards multiple times. (at least that is what they claim).

I'm not disagreeing that medical education isn't perfect. Or that some schools are worse than others. Didn't learn how to do a sterile scrub/prep a patient/suture? Really? Not a single opportunity to learn those things at a medical school? Find that hard to believe. Maybe they won't hand hold the students through all of those things, but I can virtually guarantee that every school in the US has something in place to teach students this. If you "aim to fake it" and can't see how that is the wrong way to approach your education, there is something fundamentally wrong. "Never let schooling interfere with your education." The first line of my personal statement for medical school and residency. Again, I'm not saying that medical schools couldn't be better and that the education couldn't be better. It absolutely can be improved on and it is on all educators to find ways to teach medical students as much as we can before they become residents. At the same time, I've heard people in the same clerkships as me complain about these kinds of things, despite the opportunities being abundant and all around them.
There are many surgery rotations in which MS-3 students don't even suture to close wounds during a surgery. The bar for passing a surgery clerkship is so low that students are passed thru like cattle. Same like OB-Gyn where MS-3s can go thru without having delivered a baby (delivering placenta does not count) and aren't allowed to do cervical checks checking for cervical dilatation. I didn't say "aim to fake it" is the right way to approach education - i.e. doing an H&P and looking at the resident's note for the Assessment and Plan. It's just what ends up happening in the quest to rack up Honors - which can be highly gamed.

That sounds like a pretty crappy school and is definitely not indicative of medical education everywhere. Med students here do a lot of pelvic exams on gyn and a lot of closing and assisting on surgical procedures. I just talked to a classmate who first assisted her resident on a thyroidectomy. Delivering babies is less common, maybe because of the higher number of malpractice suits in ob as it is, they may be more hesitant to let an untrained 3rd year medical student deliver just so they can practice. It does happen, but to a lesser extent than minor procedures and exams.

There are many surgery rotations in which MS-3 students don't even suture to close wounds during a surgery. The bar for passing a surgery clerkship is so low that students are passed thru like cattle. Same like OB-Gyn where MS-3s can go thru without having delivered a baby (delivering placenta does not count) and aren't allowed to do cervical checks checking for cervical dilatation. I didn't say "aim to fake it" is the right way to approach education - i.e. doing an H&P and looking at the resident's note for the Assessment and Plan. It's just what ends up happening in the quest to rack up Honors - which can be highly gamed.
what the heck med school did you go to that you have such a poor opinion of medical school training

my experience this far has pretty much been the opposite of yours and much more along the lines of mimelims

what the heck med school did you go to that you have such a poor opinion of medical school training
Are you actually making the argument that an MS-3 gets to do almost everything on each rotation? It's not just my opinion. PDs know this.

I didn't say it was as relevant as shadowing doctors, just that it wasn't pointless.
If you couldn't tell more about the schools you toured than the shiny gyms, your observation skills need some work.

I didn't tour my undergraduate university.

I'll give you not pointless but contend that very near pointless is dead on.

Lets just save curious premeds some time: For two years, medical students watch lectures and read PowerPoint slides, typically with some number of labs, small groups, and clinical skills/standardized or real patient encounters. In the next two years, med students spend their time in hospitals and clinics doing some combination of seeing patients, watching others see patients, trying to stay awake in the OR, and often attending 1-2 hour lectures. There are tests throughout the four years.

Then residency +/- fellowship.

Then attendingland, which is why you went to school.

Success in medical school is more than just "people skills". As a medical student, intern, resident, many times you are put on the spot to answer pimp questions, many times sleep deprived. That's a very important piece of the puzzle.

Perhaps you missed the part that said good student. Good students figure out what they are expected to learn and learn it. Good students with people skills do these things as well as get along with patients and easily integrate into patient care teams.

Uh, there were many students that were in my class in medical school that complained about "not getting to suture". They were also the people that fit into categories 1-3 as listed before. What you are saying is that if someone had an interest in suturing, there is nothing available at your medical school for their students to suture on patients with the supervision of residents/staff? If THAT is true, that is just a poorly run/setup medical school and not the norm.

Are you actually making the argument that an MS-3 gets to do almost everything on each rotation? It's not just my opinion. PDs know this.

I am at a complete and total loss how you can translate "what the heck med school did you go to that you have such a poor opinion of medical school training" into, "Are you actually making the argument that an MS-3 gets to do almost everything on each rotation?" Talk about putting words into someone's mouth or simply being obtuse... You are claiming that it is impossible to suture at your institution or do "anything". I've been at several institutions, none of which were even remotely close to as restrictive. I have heard the same complaints at those institutions, always coming from people that were mostly expecting someone to hand hold them.