Do premeds play sports?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themoonman2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if any of my fellow SDN pre-meds participate in sports. Do many of you play pickup games, intramural teams, collegiate NCAA level and beyond- also including individualistic sports such as rock climbing, skiing, skateboarding, running, etc? If so, how often?

Members don't see this ad.

Only if it helps them get into medical school. :p I scuba dive and hike (weightlifting I don't consider a sport, just a form of my own personal improvement)!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm the current heavyweight champion of the world.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Played @ a national/world level for one sport and intercollegiate for another due to it not being NCAA sanctioned.
I still train 3-5 days a week for the first sport and compete regularly.

I played NCAA D1 softball on an athletic scholarship for all four years in college.

Yes. I was a two sport DI, competed w/ national team for one. Practice for 6 days a week, 2 sports seasons, and gym/track sessions on my own time too.

DII football for 2 years.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Intramural flag football was great. Did intramural soccer and volleyball for a bit too. Been playing adult league roller hockey since my last two semesters of college.

Tennis! I play a lot. Sometimes I will wake up at 5:30, go hit on the wall and practice serves from 6-7, go to class and work, and play a few hours in the late evening. I probably play for 15 hours a week on top of class, hw, and working 25 hours a week.

Tennis! I play a lot. Sometimes I will wake up at 5, go hit on the wall and practice serves from 6-7, go to class and work, and play a few hours in the late evening. I probably play for 15 hours a week on top of class, hw, and working 25 hours a week.
That is awesome. I love to play but I am not exactly a pro and I hate bringing skilled players to a game of run after the ball.

That is awesome. I love to play but I am not exactly a pro and I hate bringing skilled players to a game of run after the ball.

I am not the most skilled but definitely improving! It takes a lot of time to improve in tennis but I love feeling the improvement when you put in the work. Besides, if I don't serve for a few weeks I lose my serve gainz! So it is motivation to keep practicing.

Yup! It's a great way to relieve some stress and keep healthy too. I played NCAA D3, intramural soccer and basketball during the offseason, and was involved in the outdoor club so some hiking, caving, and climbing. Definitely was a big part of my college experience :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have played a lot of intramural sports, my friends are not the most athletic so we kind of suck but still have a lot of fun. In 9 seasons of sports our only win has come off a team not showing up.

Reactions: 1 users
10+ years participating in an individual sport, with a 3-year break from competing included. Ramping up to start competing again. A version of this sport is NCAA sanctioned, however I choose not to compete in the NCAA and instead participate in a different version on my own. I train 5 days a week and have chosen to work 20+ hours a week so that I can afford to continue participating in this sport. I received 4 top-10 placings at a World level in the Youth division.

The time commitment is currently keeping me from pursuing any research, but I'd rather spend my time on this sport than in a research lab, since there is absolutely no way I'll be able to continue it in med school and throughout residency.

I played professionally after my collegiate senior season ended.

DI scholarship athlete all four years! It's definitely a big commitment, and you quickly learn that a full night's sleep is an unnecessary luxury, but at the end of the day it is 100% worth it.

Sports practice always bored me out of my mind, this was made worse by the seemingly mandatory aspect of it.

Just curious if any of my fellow SDN pre-meds participate in sports. Do many of you play pickup games, intramural teams, collegiate NCAA level and beyond- also including individualistic sports such as rock climbing, skiing, skateboarding, running, etc? If so, how often?
I train MMA and crossfit six days a week, but I also skateboard and climb occasionally.

I compete in triathlons and snowboard!

Yes. I am an avid player of fantasy football every season.

Reactions: 1 users
Basketball, football, weight-lifting, snowboard, wakeboard, hiking, running... most of these I have done for about 15 years now

Ultimate frisbee - made it to Nationals twice in college. I also rock climb, snowboard, SCUBA, etc!

4 years of rowing. Best time of my life.

So much humble bragging on this thread

Reactions: 3 users
Yessir weight train couple days a week, boulder when I can and play on a soccer team once a week if work permits.