Do primary care docs generally take care of their own families too?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawgiver

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cannot imagine going through all that training and only to tell my sick spouse/child/parent, sorry, Im a (pick a random non primary care specialty), you need to go see our friendly neighborhood IM/FP doc.

First am I correct in this assumption? That, say, a radiologist by training would not attempt to manage his own family members common sickness(flu, bronchitis, etc.)?

Ive been looking at a lot of combined residency programs that put im or fp with something else.

Members don't see this ad.

I cannot imagine going through all that training and only to tell my sick spouse/child/parent, sorry, Im a (pick a random non primary care specialty), you need to go see our friendly neighborhood IM/FP doc.

First am I correct in this assumption? That, say, a radiologist by training would not attempt to manage his own family members common sickness(flu, bronchitis, etc.)?

Ive been looking at a lot of combined residency programs that put im or fp with something else.

First of all, all kinds of doctors in all kinds of specialties attempt to treat their own families. They don't necessarily do it correctly, but that's another story.

Second, many IM doctors don't really know how to treat common illnesses either. They have a lot of experience with hospital medicine, but their experience with common clinic things may vary.

Finally, you should get out of the mindset that you will be treating family members on a regular basis. That's bad medicine and a bad habit to get into.

please elaborate on your third paragraph.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Blue Dog for those links! And you guys for answers!

I only do the occasional Zpak and cough medicine for my kids when they are sick. I don't treat any other family members nor do I give Rx "favors" to friends.

Last edited:
A few years ago, before I was in med school, my nephew burned his arm on one of those old-fashioned, indoor, wood-burning stoves. His mother (my sister-in-law) had heard that it was good to put mustard (yes, mustard) on minor burns. The injury was only getting worse after three or four days, so they took him to an urgent care. The doc at the urgent care told them to go immediately to the large regional burn center.

If I had been a resident, attending, or maybe even an MS4 at the time, would it at least have been appropriate to take a look at it initially, tell them NOT to put mustard on it, and tell them to instead go to the ED right away?

If I had been a resident, attending, or maybe even an MS4 at the time, would it at least have been appropriate to take a look at it initially, tell them NOT to put mustard on it, and tell them to instead go to the ED right away?

Of course. That's called "First Aid." You don't really even need any training for that (at least, nothing more than what you may have gotten in the Boy Scouts).

Reactions: 2 users
A few years ago, before I was in med school, my nephew burned his arm on one of those old-fashioned, indoor, wood-burning stoves. His mother (my sister-in-law) had heard that it was good to put mustard (yes, mustard) on minor burns. The injury was only getting worse after three or four days, so they took him to an urgent care. The doc at the urgent care told them to go immediately to the large regional burn center.

I had a young mom last week who put mustard on her toddler's burn because Grandma said to do so. Sigh.....