Do program directors have a roster of who has matched at their program already?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FiveRivers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So basically, do the program directors have a roster of who has matched at their program already, but the school doesn't find out until Thursday, and applicants on Friday? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Program directors don't find out till Thursday. They aren't allowed to share till after 1pm EST on Friday though.

(On a side note, I heard that in the Ophtho match, the program directors also find out a day early... but are allowed to share with the applicant. So most applicants get a phone call the day before their match day. Crazy if true)

Program directors don't find out till Thursday. They aren't allowed to share till after 1pm EST on Friday though.

(On a side note, I heard that in the Ophtho match, the program directors also find out a day early... but are allowed to share with the applicant. So most applicants get a phone call the day before their match day. Crazy if true)

yep that's true for ophtho and it's standard fare to get called by the PD the day before match day.

As a side question (and I know this will be program dependent), how common is it for PDs to inform the matched applicants of the other people who matched in the program? Or, do you normally find out your co-workers during orientation?

From the NRMP homepage:

UPCOMING DEADLINES

MAR20
Program Directors receive their Confidential Roster of Matched Applicants

As a side question (and I know this will be program dependent), how common is it for PDs to inform the matched applicants of the other people who matched in the program? Or, do you normally find out your co-workers during orientation?
I found out the others who matched to the same program not too long after match day (maybe early the next week...I can't remember exactly). I don't think any program is going to make you wait until orientation.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd like to get an opinion about my situation. I partially matched and NRMP told me the city of my advanced position so I know where I matched. I haven't SOAPed into any prelim spots so I'd like to get in touch with the PD of my advanced match program ASAP in the minuscule chance that he can talk to someone and squeeze in another intern in their medicine or surgery department. Would it be ok to talk to him on Thursday once the programs are notified of their match lists even though I'm not technically supposed to know I matched there until Friday? I'm a DO and will be trying to scramble into an AOA TRI after SOAP but I'd like to give my PD a chance before I accept anything else. But waiting too long for the AOA spots is a gamble I'm not really willing to make at this point.

I'd like to get an opinion about my situation. I partially matched and NRMP told me the city of my advanced position so I know where I matched. I haven't SOAPed into any prelim spots so I'd like to get in touch with the PD of my advanced match program ASAP in the minuscule chance that he can talk to someone and squeeze in another intern in their medicine or surgery department. Would it be ok to talk to him on Thursday once the programs are notified of their match lists even though I'm not technically supposed to know I matched there until Friday? I'm a DO and will be trying to scramble into an AOA TRI after SOAP but I'd like to give my PD a chance before I accept anything else. But waiting too long for the AOA spots is a gamble I'm not really willing to make at this point.

Yuuuuurgh. No one here should be advising you to violate the Match rules. Just don't do it.

The option that sometimes occurs is that an Out-of-Match position is created on Friday (or later).

It's a tough spot you're in.

Reactions: 1 users
Yuuuuurgh. No one here should be advising you to violate the Match rules. Just don't do it.

The option that sometimes occurs is that an Out-of-Match position is created on Friday (or later).

It's a tough spot you're in.
I'm not talking about violating match rules. I wouldn't contact anyone until SOAP is over. I was just wondering if I am allowed to initiate contact with the program I matched into before it is "officially" released on Friday.

I'm not talking about violating match rules. I wouldn't contact anyone until SOAP is over. I was just wondering if I am allowed to initiate contact with the program I matched into before it is "officially" released on Friday.

I'm very certain that regardless of "how" you know where you matched, it's an NRMP violation to communicate before 1pm on Friday.

There's a timeline on the nrmp website and they will get their roster today, your school also finds out where everyone is going etc

And the programs know who their incoming residents are in... 3... 2... 1... :O

Doesn't really matter though, they can't contact us until tomorrow afternoon anyway. They'll just be busy looking the list over, getting ready to call us personally (not sure if most do that), and getting paperwork for us started to sign over the coming days and weeks.

Our PD found out who we matched with around 3pm today. It was supposed to be at 2pm but the NRMP website had connection issues for the better part of the hour. They must keep these individuals confidential until 1pm tomorrow.

And the programs know who their incoming residents are in... 3... 2... 1... :O

Doesn't really matter though, they can't contact us until tomorrow afternoon anyway. They'll just be busy looking the list over, getting ready to call us personally (not sure if most do that), and getting paperwork for us started to sign over the coming days and weeks.
Speaking of that, how common is it for PDs to call us tomorrow?

Correct on before; I know I start in 2014. It's either Reserved where I go in as a PGY2 (my top seven choices) or Categorical where I repeat intern year. I ranked advanced programs but obviously did not match there or I'd have received the mismatch email.

You probably find out before orienration. A couple of weeks after the match my residency sent out preliminary packets of info to start completing, and in that packet was a list of the new residents and where they were from. One of the chiefs also sent out an email to the new residents shortly after the match offering availability to give advice about housing in the area, so you saw the emails of the people you matched with there too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Speaking of that, how common is it for PDs to call us tomorrow?

It's a nice custom if they do, but given the all day festivities some places have, I wouldnt sweat it if you dont hear from them right away. I got a voicemail from the recruiting coordinator the day I matched, but plenty of people I know heard nothing for a while.

I'm currently abroad and using a different phone number than the one on ERAS - I am therefore wondering if it'd be alright to e-mail the PC of the program I matched at (after 1 PM) to update her? As in contact them before they contact me?

I'm currently abroad and using a different phone number than the one on ERAS - I am therefore wondering if it'd be alright to e-mail the PC of the program I matched at (after 1 PM) to update her? As in contact them before they contact me?

After 1pm EDT you can contact your program as much and via any method you wish.

Thanks. I know I technically can, was just wondering if there was some sort of unspoken rule to these things. Over-thinking it clearly!

Thanks again. Good luck today!

Thanks. I know I technically can, was just wondering if there was some sort of unspoken rule to these things. Over-thinking it clearly!
Id just relax.

I can guarantee your new coordinator will be very happy and relieved to hear from you directly with an updated phone number. It will get things off on the right foot with the program :)

My program just sent us an email a couple hours after I found out. It had a nice message from the PD, and an attached form we could fill out for schedule/vacation requests (that wasn't due for a few weeks).