Do residency PDs check your facebook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeedToStudy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
We all know many employers do this. Does this include residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you still have your FB profile set to "Open", then what else would you expect?

I personally don't do this, and I have certainly talked to PDs who do it. As well as using The Googlez.

Would it really make a difference to lock it? I mean would they think you have something to hide?

Would it really make a difference to lock it? I mean would they think you have something to hide?

You should:

(a) Scrub your Facebook. Make sure to get rid of anything unprofessional. Untag yourself from raunchy photos. Delete your own photo albums. Make your profile picture a professional looking one. Don't leave any political, religious, unprofessional, or controversial posts on your wall.
(b) Max out your privacy settings.

This way:

(a) If someone can't find you on Facebook, they will assume you are either smart enough to use the privacy settings, or smart enough to not be on it at all. They won't assume you have something to hide.
(b) If they can find you, they won't find anything incriminating.

Reactions: 2 users
You personally will probably get more mileage out of deleting your FetLife and Grindr profiles but that's neither here nor there.

Also, welcome to Overthinkingitville. Population: You.

Reactions: 4 users
You shouldn't have anything online you wouldn't be willing to carry on a billboard over your shoulders through the street because that's essentially what you're doing when you put something on fb. There's no such thing as privacy on the internet.

Just "friend" them. It saves them time and you have nothing to hide. Most residents i know have at least one faculty member friended, so everything is pretty transparent. Best to keep your nude self-ies from that drunken night in the OR off social media.

Yes. And the hospital PR people supposedly check random residents out to make sure you're not posting anything negative, or HIPAA-noncompliant, too. (That might just be scaremongering but they SWORE it was true during hospital-wide intern orientation).

But even more than PDs, you should watch out for PATIENTS checking out your facebook. For realz this happens a LOT. They will try to friend you and then s&*( gets weird.

Now is the time to un-like NAMBLA, nude drawings of women in the lithotomy position, Glenn Beck, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
A lot of residents at my program have most of the faculty as friends on Facebook. Also most of our nurses and office staff too. We are a close bunch I guess.