Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

do residents get paid?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by krazykat, 09.24.00.

1. krazykat

krazykat Junior Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    this may sound like a dumb question , but i was wondering once you become a resident do you get paid while doing your residency? I would think after 4 long years of med school
    you would finally be able to make some money.
    if anyone can tell me i would appreciate some info, thanks.
  2. Mango

Mango Very Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    The answer is yes, but its pathetic. National averages are always right around $35,000, and you usually get a small raise each consecutive year. The reason I say that it's pathetic is because interns/residents work so many hours per week, that $35K ends up being about $6 an hour. I made more than that as a nurse's aid!

And don't forget, most of that money will be going toward paying down student loans. Oh well, it's a living, and it's better than nothing! [​IMG]
  3. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    ...but your salary will rise considerably upon completion of said residency. And some programs are better than others in terms of hours worked per week and base salary... important things to check on when trying to find a residency!!!
  4. MikeS 78

MikeS 78 Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    you dont want to make too much money because if you make over about 40 grand you make too much money to
  5. MikeS 78

MikeS 78 Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    doh posted too early

anyways if you make too much money you cannot get your loans deferred and interest starts to accumulate/payments start to come due

If like most med students you have about 100 K or so in loans, you have to pay interest on your loans which will end up being about as much as the extra money you earn from making 40 grand as opposed to 35 grand
  6. rtk

rtk Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Keep in mind that after you've completed one year of post-grad training you can get your permanent liscense and start moon-lighting... This is true in most states, not Illinois, however (takes two years there). This will significantly boost your income by about $70-100 per hour for 12 to 24 hour shifts.

It's a little scary at first; i.e: being in a remote ER in the sticks with a 26 week IUP in active labor... and no other docs within a 25 mile radius.
  7. aprilschild

aprilschild

Medical Student
    Well, guess what....In Russia residents actually have to pay themselves....from $6-20000 a year))
  8. QuinnB

QuinnB Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Many residents average minimum wage (7-8 dollars an hour when all work is considered).
  9. colbgw02

colbgw02 Delightfully Tacky

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I don't think there are many people folks on here that are old enough to get this.
  10. AmoryBlaine

AmoryBlaine the last tycoon

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I can't speak for all fields but I know that in some where overall work hours are pretty light you can make a killing moonlighting. I've heard stories of psych and derm residents doubling their income. Can't speak to others.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal