Do residents wear...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDocDO

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
whitecoats with school logo on their sleeves or is it just 3rd and 4th year MS? Just wondering, because I saw a gal introduced herself as doctor so and so today when she has her school logo on her sleeve.

Members don't see this ad.

it's just a whitecoat, they wear whatever they're given to them by the hospital. Resident have long whitecoats, students have short ones.

I know residents at one of our school associated programs wear the patch of their school on their sleeve. Don't know if it is like this anywhere else though

Members don't see this ad :)
krayj36 said:
I know residents at one of our school associated programs wear the patch of their school on their sleeve. Don't know if it is like this anywhere else though

I've never seen anyone wear a patch on their sleeve----even medical students.

It looks like you are a Boy Scout or something.

OSUdoc08 said:
I've never seen anyone wear a patch on their sleeve----even medical students.

It looks like you are a Boy Scout or something.

In med school, we had our school and logo on a patch on one sleeve of our white coats -- no school or individual names on front of coat (except for a few who took it upon themselves to have that embroidered)... I remember multiple ppl at Step 2 CSE needing to tape over those patches...

In residency, we rotate thru multiple hospitals -- no patch, but on the front of the coat we have our name and the name of the institution and department below that ...

I've seen residents with patches on their sleeves. It's hit or miss, i think more miss than hit though.

debvz said:
In med school, we had our school and logo on a patch on one sleeve of our white coats -- no school or individual names on front of coat (except for a few who took it upon themselves to have that embroidered)... I remember multiple ppl at Step 2 CSE needing to tape over those patches...

In residency, we rotate thru multiple hospitals -- no patch, but on the front of the coat we have our name and the name of the institution and department below that ...

Our patch is on the front upper pocket. Nothing on the sleeves.

gujuDoc said:
The neurology residents that I used to shadow did not have the logo on the sleeves, just on the front of the coat.

Once you get to residency, if you have white coats (mayo doesn't that's why I say if you have them), it will be the long white coats rather then the short ones that are for med students.

The long white coats will be similar to a practicing physician's coat, but might have the symbol of the school on it, which is the case at USF neurology.

Attending physicians have the school patch on their white coats as well at my school.

Pox in a box said:
Patches are for auto repair mechanics. :thumbdown:

Hey, I like patches and I definitely want one on my white coat. Makes it look purtier.

When they gave us our white coats at the ceremony, they all had the patch already on them and then offered name and school name embroidery (which most students choose to do).

Members don't see this ad :)
gujuDoc said:
At our school I think it depends on where the attendings work. If they are primarily employed by the VA, but still work with students, they don't have the USF patch but rather the VA patch on their coat. If they are working mainly for the university, they'll have a USF patch on their coat. It depends whether their primary job is through the school or through the affiliating hospital. Of course we don't have a USF hospital, students at USF COM and residents rotate through various community hospitals such as the 2 VA centers in the area, the tampa county hospital, bay front care center, and specialized pediatric hospitals among other sites. So there are different badges and different coats for attendings which are dependent on what affiliating hospital they work at. Even the residents have different badges for different hospitals some times, even if their coat is the same. I noticed this with the neuro residents I shadowed.

I also noticed that most of the male attendings in the VA didn't wear their coats most of the time, but rather chose to dress wearing a formal shirt and slacks, instead. And of the few I've seen, who've worn their coats, one wore the VA coat, while the other had a coat with the school symbol. So I guess it depends on the attending and place of work.

at my school, if u saw someone w/ a patch, 90% of the time it was a nursing student. i think the np students even wore long coats...i could be wrong.

bulldog said:
at my school, if u saw someone w/ a patch, 90% of the time it was a nursing student. i think the np students even wore long coats...i could be wrong.
Around here, a patch on the sleeve is usually is on the coat of a PA, nursing, or radiology tech student.

It depends on the program. A lot of the residents here in Chicago have their affliated school logo on their sleeves. I see a lot in the hospitals that have multiple programs with residents on their site.

Pox in a box said:
Patches are for auto repair mechanics. :thumbdown:
and white coats are for busboys.
:laugh:
:laugh:

FutureDocDO said:
whitecoats with school logo on their sleeves or is it just 3rd and 4th year MS? Just wondering, because I saw a gal introduced herself as doctor so and so today when she has her school logo on her sleeve.

At Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS), the school logo is worn by anyone affiliated with the medical school, including students, residents, and attendings. The photo below shows several of the surgical attendings. The logo patch is typically worn on the breast pocket.

surgeons.jpg

gujuDoc said:
Once you get to residency, if you have white coats (mayo doesn't that's why I say if you have them), it will be the long white coats rather then the short ones that are for med students.

That is true at most places, but not all.

I don't like patches on white coats, personally. It looks like a butcher's coat, but I've seen a lot of hospitals which use them.

I was wondering whether it's compulsory for med students or residents to wear a shirt and tie/formal clothing most of the time, since that's the way it is in Europe, but I see Americans in scrubs even if they're not surgical.

In the UK, generally, med students are expected to wear formal clothing, a white coat, and have their stethoscope in their pockets. Interns and SHO's wear formal clothing, a white coat, and a stethoscope round their neck. Registrars wear a shirt and tie with no jacket or white coat and have a stethoscope round their neck. Consultants wear a suit with a stethoscope round their neck.

Surgeons only wear scrubs when in theatre. Sometimes casualty wear blue scrubs for comfort.

TruckGirl said:
In the UK, generally, med students are expected to wear formal clothing, a white coat, and have their stethoscope in their pockets.

In their pockets? I guess that would be the "P position." It's a good thing that the others are allowed to carry them 'round their necks...otherwise, the UHS might be bankrupted. ;)

See article: The efficacy of stethoscope placement when not in use (Note: Please engage sense of humor before reading).

KentW said:
In their pockets? I guess that would be the "P position." It's a good thing that the others are allowed to carry them 'round their necks...otherwise, the UHS might be bankrupted. ;)

See article: The efficacy of stethoscope placement when not in use (Note: Please engage sense of humor before reading).

LOL.. well by round their necks I generally see the "cool" method being used, although some consultants use the traditional method.

And yes the students are expected to put the stethoscopes in their pockets.. and they have the slowest time in making them functional, because the stethoscopes usually end up in knots as they're folded into pockets.

deuist said:

:laugh: ROFL! That's great! It reminded me why I hated bench research so much as an undergrad.

I once had a general chemistry experiment go very badly awry (fire extinguishers were deployed, let's just leave it at that), and with no time to re-do it, was forced to turn in the lab writeup. It read pretty much like that one. Amazingly, I received a passing score, mainly because the TA who graded it couldn't stop laughing. :)

KentW said:
:laugh: ROFL! That's great! It reminded me why I hated bench research so much as an undergrad.

I once had a general chemistry experiment go very badly awry (fire extinguishers were deployed, let's just leave it at that), and with no time to re-do it, was forced to turn in the lab writeup. It read pretty much like that one. Amazingly, I received a passing score, mainly because the TA who graded it couldn't stop laughing. :)

I remember an orgo lab once where we were supposed to determine the contents of an unknown bag of powder. We were supposed to turn in samples of our intermediates from every reaction as proof that we did the step. Somehow, I never got this memo and was left without any products. Sooooo... I cleaned a blackboard and put the residual chalk dust---a white powder---into the sample bags and passed them off as my product. I got an A on the project.

Underwear?

No it makes it easier for them to hook up in the on call room with that skanky nurse despite the fact they are married, and lock the door behind them, thereby cutting off your one avenue of rest (beside the bed of that lady in a coma, and well I'm not that deperate yet), when all you want is a few minutes of sleep because you haven't had a full nights sleep in two months because of this darn community medicine Sub-I and being on call every night for two months and taking ER call on top of that, and you are starting to get a little delusional (what do you mean I shouldn't order a BHCG on a lady who has had a hysterectomy) , and a lot grumpy.

Sorry had to let that out, I feel better - but still sleepy

Best wishes

The Mish

Damn, Mish, your post makes me wanna go read "House of God" all over again!