DO school and HCE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Veritas86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so the general idea is that DO schools give a small edge to nontrads. What about those with previous health care experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so the general idea is that DO schools give a small edge to nontrads.

I would not count on factoring this in as a huge aspect of your overall application, unless you have some type of incredibly outstanding and unique clinical experience.

Just being an EMT or Paramedic on an ambulance for a few years doesn't really raise eyebrows anymore, or so I have heard...particularly at the school you are most likely looking at. The overall quality of the experience, your ability to describe the value and personal growth you obtained from it, and your intentions when initially getting into your first clinical role (paramedic, EMT, CNA, pleb, whatever) are what will set you apart, not the simple fact you have HCE or are a non trad.

Last edited:
Good advice, thanks :)

I'll keep that in mind. I'm shooting for MD schools for the most part, but I've heard the rumors. Wanted to see if there was any truth to them more than using it as an excuse to slack ;)