DO School Chances, 3.3 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kirstieroo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Sorry that this is not a wildly original post. I want to apply to osteopathic medical schools, but I am getting a lot of pressure from my family to "be realistic" and apply to nursing schools instead. I graduated from a University of California with a 3.3c and 3.2s gpa in a molecular bio major. I have never retaken a class. I will be taking the MCAT for the first time in April.

ECs: RA for 3 years (3rd year as a supervisor RA), worked full time in immunology research lab for 6 months, worked as a medical assistant for 6 months, currently working as an EMT, was active in student government (president junior year), volunteer EMT at an after school club for disadvantaged 6-8th graders (4 hrs per week), 100 hours shadowing experience (about 1/4th of that was with a DO), helped organize/plan annual bone marrow and blood drives.

I have 2 letters of rec from my time as an MA, 1 from the lab, 1 from microbio professor, potentially 1 from human phys professor

I had 2 years where my grades suffered (mostly due to an extremely emotionally burdening family situation), but I did well in my upper division course work. I got almost all As my senior year with some tough classes like physiology, anatomy, cell bio, euk cell bio, microbio. Unfortunately, I got a few C+ grades in prereq classes (physics I & III, ochem II, gen chem III).

What do you think about my chances? I'm planning to apply early to A LOT of schools. Would it be worth it to retake some of the prereqs? (It would be about $1200 per class, which is somewhat overwhelming)

Members don't see this ad.

The retakes are a good idea and you should try to hit 26 or 27 on the MCAT to be a competitive applicant.