DO school with the best food nearby

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSynthesis

Friendly osteopath
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In an effort to not derail the interview thread we now have this thread.

So we have had a thread of which DO school is the prettiest but which DO school is the tastiest.

Pictures or it doesn't exist.

We all know this is the only metric that matters when picking your medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
kgtWFVZ.jpg

Rodeo Goat Ice House, Fort Worth
(The Caca Oaxaca - beef and chorizo burger with avocado, pico de gallo, queso fresco, Tabasco mayo and a fried egg.)

hzqNDK7.jpg

Sprout's SpringRoll and Pho
(This place was featured on Man Vs. Food)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is why I really like pre-osteo forum! :)

Reactions: 1 user
TUNCOM - endless buffets in Vegas

Wild guess, but I'm sure COMP Pomona has some excellent food in the neighboring So Cal area

Again, another thread where students will just nominate their own school as having the best (fill in the blank)

If you like diversity, and a wide array of authentic foreign cuisine, look at schools situated in or near big cities (COMP/both NY schools/both PCOM schools, CCOM, etc etc)

john_sand_3576_600.jpg

My vote goes to the cheesestake. PCOM.

Patrick_Drooling.jpg

@t5Nitro

Responding to ya on this thread to not derail the other one.

If anyone is bashing real NY pizza without every trying it there missing out.

There is a reason when I travel outside of NY that pizza places say NY pizza and people hardly every say Chicago pizza (unless its a deep dish place aka casserole)

@t5Nitro

Responding to ya on this thread to not derail the other one.

If anyone is bashing real NY pizza without every trying it there missing out.

There is a reason when I travel outside of NY that pizza places say NY pizza and people hardly every say Chicago pizza (unless its a deep dish place aka casserole)
It's actually a style thing though. They don't say Chicago style pizza because they aren't selling Chicago style pizza, which is by definition deep dish. Personally I think Chicago>New Haven>New York>everything else, having been to all of the aforementioned cities and tried a good mix of their best pizzerias.

Kirksville just got an awesome doughnut shop called donut palace. Some of the best doughnuts I've had. Probably the only really good food thing near KCOM in my opinion haha.

Kirksville just got an awesome doughnut shop called donut palace. Some of the best doughnuts I've had. Probably the only really good food thing near KCOM in my opinion haha.

OK so KCOM is out then for best food. But I might stop by to go to the meca of DOs and have a donught of course.

If only I could have figured out how to make a poll for this thread.

It's actually a style thing though. They don't say Chicago style pizza because they aren't selling Chicago style pizza, which is by definition deep dish. Personally I think Chicago>New Haven>New York>everything else, having been to all of the aforementioned cities and tried a good mix of their best pizzerias.

Ct does actually have some good pizza. Places by Yale are excellent.

Too bad though that chicagos pizza quite simply isn't pizza. Best casseroles by far though.

tumblr_mqk22coNrx1r0p8d9o1_500.jpg

This quite simply isn't pizza. (Although it looks awesome)

Members don't see this ad :)
NOT Touro-CA. Good god.

UNECOM, however, has an awesome (and very nice) all-you-can-eat cafe right near the medical school on campus.

Too bad though that chicagos pizza quite simply isn't pizza. Best casseroles by far though.

tumblr_mqk22coNrx1r0p8d9o1_500.jpg

This quite simply isn't pizza.
AAOvwmE.gif

Seriously though, Chicago style pizza is pizza that's just found a way to hold even more toppings in. Totally qualifies as pizza. Giordano's is the **** in Chicago, but I prefer Pi Pizza in St. Louis- I don't even have words for how good their pizza is.

NOT Touro-CA. Good god.

UNECOM, however, has an awesome (and very nice) all-you-can-eat cafe right near the medical school on campus.
Run of the Mill has some amazing food if you're around UNECOM. Best meatloaf I've ever had in my life, plus their Mac and Beer Cheese is really solid. Best spinach artichoke dip I've had in New England.

Plenty of good places to get seafood as well, because Maine.

New Yorker's opinions don't count, nor do those of people from New Jersey. I thought everyone knew that?

Supreme court justice and a medical school ADCOM can't be wrong! They make decisions for a living.

Last edited:
I'll just leave this here.
DMU FTW
IMG_3884.jpg

united-states-of-bacon_1212_2.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
DMU FTW
IMG_3884.jpg

They must have busy Cardiology rotations. :wow:

I am an avid foodie and I'm interested to see what's around when I apply next cycle. :banana:

Reactions: 1 users
AAOvwmE.gif

Seriously though, Chicago style pizza is pizza that's just found a way to hold even more toppings in. Totally qualifies as pizza. Giordano's is the **** in Chicago, but I prefer Pi Pizza in St. Louis- I don't even have words for how good their pizza is.

Finally, someone who understands! ;) I'm a Chicagoan and Giordano's is my favorite here, but I absolutely LOVED Pi Pizza in STL! Totally surprised about how good it was, would eat again. St. Louis has some great food (but unfortunately, no DO schools :p).

DMU FTW
IMG_3884.jpg

Aaaaaand I should probably go to DMU.

btw in the bottom image - the "buns" are deep fried mac and cheese.

Harrogate, TN doesn't offer a lot, but it does offer Heavy's. It is a shack down by the river, no really it is. Only open May-October because there is no heating (or AC for that matter) because it is a shack. Best smoked ribs I've had and really good smoked pork and chicken.

Also, the Dean and Associate Dean at LMU-DCOM are on the professional BBQ circuit, Two Docs BBQ. For those interested, they teach students their ways of the smoker and share their recipes to those who earn it. It is fun to hang out with other students as we prep and smoke meat on some weekends. The big event of the year is the weekend when white coats are handed out. We feed about 1500 people with some of the best smoked chicken and pork that you will ever eat, let alone prepare yourself. As an added bonus the Associate Dean will provide special items: ribs, sausage, bologna (don't knock it till you try it), and brisket that he prepares specially for those who help with the smoking.

If you're interested in BBQ and interview here make sure to ask about it!

MSUCOM/East Lansing just got themselves a HopCat, best mac and cheese you'll ever have as well as amazing craft beer. Also as someone else mentioned here or in the other derailed thread, Jet's Pizza hands down has the best square pizza.

the-original-kitchen.jpg

Nova/Jacksons for desert.

Harrogate, TN doesn't offer a lot, but it does offer Heavy's. It is a shack down by the river, no really it is. Only open May-October because there is no heating (or AC for that matter) because it is a shack. Best smoked ribs I've had and really good smoked pork and chicken.

Also, the Dean and Associate Dean at LMU-DCOM are on the professional BBQ circuit, Two Docs BBQ. For those interested, they teach students their ways of the smoker and share their recipes to those who earn it. It is fun to hang out with other students as we prep and smoke meat on some weekends. The big event of the year is the weekend when white coats are handed out. We feed about 1500 people with some of the best smoked chicken and pork that you will ever eat, let alone prepare yourself. As an added bonus the Associate Dean will provide special items: ribs, sausage, bologna (don't knock it till you try it), and brisket that he prepares specially for those who help with the smoking.

If you're interested in BBQ and interview here make sure to ask about it!

I wonder which school has the best q

Hmmm, gotta plug in my old alma mater (PCOM) - some of the places that I've tried. If you are a student at PCOM, or get invited to an interview, or happen to be in the area, check out some of these places. Most fall within the budget of medical student- a couple you just have to treat yourself or have someone else treat (e.g., reward for passing Step 1, graduation from med school, etc)

Cheesesteaks - Mama's Pizzeria (within walking distance of the school)
l.jpg

Crab fries at Chickie's and Pete's
6a00e0098ae0f3883300e5536ca30a8833-350wi

Fried Chickens and Donuts at Federal Donuts

20111108-178539-federal-donuts-zataar-chicken.jpg

federal-donuts.jpg

Bahn Mi and Pho at Pho Cali
l.jpg
l.jpg

Sushi by the Original Iron Chef Japanese (Morimoto)

morimoto.jpg

Kobe Beef Taco and chicken paella at Verdad - in Bryn Mawr
l.jpg
l.jpg

and for dessert

Sriracha Honey Lemonade and Sugar Plum Nut Cookie at Cookie's Confidential
Ay0tDMaCYAEVSkT.jpg:large

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
For those interviewing at NSU-COM, I present to you one of my favorites: Tap42. If you're interviewing on a Tuesday, you should visit Tap42 on Monday night for $5 Prohibition burger (the veggie burger is also very good). Enjoy a good brew and feast on a delicious burger the night before the big day, just don't drink too much! The cool thing about Tap42 is that Broward General is a stone's throw away. It's literally across the street.

proh1.jpg

moveto-ftlauderale-12.jpg

Also, you MUST try the sweet potato fries with warmed spiced cream that is absolutely amazing.

tap42.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
For those interviewing at NSU-COM, I present to you one of my favorites: Tap42. If you're interviewing on a Tuesday, you should visit Tap42 on Monday night for $5 Prohibition burger (the veggie burger is also very good). Enjoy a good brew and feast on a delicious burger the night before the big day, just don't drink too much! The cool thing about Tap42 is that Broward General is a stone's throw away. It's literally across the street.

proh1.jpg

moveto-ftlauderale-12.jpg

Also, you MUST try the sweet potato fries with warmed spiced cream that is absolutely amazing.

tap42.jpg

Dem sweet fries doe

Growing up, I had cousins who lived in Downers Grove(where CCOM is) and I must put in a good word for Portillo's. They have one right in town, and I have never found another burger or Italian beef so orgasmic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Growing up, I had cousins who lived in Downers Grove(where CCOM is) and I must put in a good word for Portillo's. They have one right in town, and I have never found another burger or Italian beef so orgasmic.

I grew up in that area and I will agree - Portillo's burgers are some of the best I've ever had!! They are my #2 favorite. The Whole Foods in Schaumburg (probably 15-20 min from CCOM) has a burger bar with my #1 favorite burger of all time. If anyone's in the area, they must try both burgers! The whole area has great food (Yu's Mandarin for Chinese is also excellent and in Schaumburg).

Now you're making me nostalgic :happy:

I also must add that Lou Malnati's >>> Giordano's.

Last edited:
I grew up in that area and I will agree - Portillo's burgers are some of the best I've ever had!! They are my #2 favorite. The Whole Foods in Schaumburg (probably 15-20 min from CCOM) has a burger bar with my #1 favorite burger of all time. If anyone's in the area, they must try both burgers! The whole area has great food (Yu's Mandarin for Chinese is also excellent and in Schaumburg).

Let the debate begin. I counter the bolded with the opposite action. 1-1...

Hmmm, gotta plug in my old alma mater (PCOM) - some of the places that I've tried. If you are a student at PCOM, or get invited to an interview, or happen to be in the area, check out some of these places. Most fall within the budget of medical student- a couple you just have to treat yourself or have someone else treat (e.g., reward for passing Step 1, graduation from med school, etc)

Cheesesteaks - Mama's Pizzeria (within walking distance of the school)
l.jpg

Crab fries at Chickie's and Pete's
6a00e0098ae0f3883300e5536ca30a8833-350wi

Fried Chickens and Donuts at Federal Donuts

20111108-178539-federal-donuts-zataar-chicken.jpg

federal-donuts.jpg

Bahn Mi and Pho at Pho Cali
l.jpg
l.jpg

Sushi by the Original Iron Chef Japanese (Morimoto)

morimoto.jpg

Kobe Beef Taco and chicken paella at Verdad - in Bryn Mawr
l.jpg
l.jpg

and for dessert

Sriracha Honey Lemonade and Sugar Plum Nut Cookie at Cookie's Confidential
Ay0tDMaCYAEVSkT.jpg:large
Noted for Comlex 2 PE!

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412597973.161139.jpg
I give you LECOM-SH and Primanti Brothers. White bread, meat, coleslaw, tomato, and fries. Enjoy your arteries while you can.

Nothing like mom's homemade soup and kimchi... [slow music] :bigtears:

I realize we all have personal preferences, but lets be real....NYC is one of the greatest food cities in the world. The answer is easily TouroNY

I would guess any school near a large city.

Love Yu's Mandarin. I am making the Homer Simpson mouth watering face just think about it.

I don't think I've ever been to the Whole Foods in Schaumburg for a burger. I will have to try them next time I'm in the area.

Ooh, remember Barnaby's?

Actually haven't been to Slaters before. Is it bomb?

Is Slaters bomb?.... Is Slaters BOMB?!?! The Slaters 50/50 burger is a juicy burger made of 50% beef and 50% bacon. They also have bacon ketchup. and bacon beer. and bacon tater tots. There is also a Sriracha burger as well as a Peanut butter and jelly burger with your choice of subbing the regular beef patty with the 50/50 patty (don't knock it til you try it!).

So yes, to answer your question. Slaters is bomb.

Finally, someone who understands! ;) I'm a Chicagoan and Giordano's is my favorite here, but I absolutely LOVED Pi Pizza in STL! Totally surprised about how good it was, would eat again. St. Louis has some great food (but unfortunately, no DO schools :p).

Aaaaaand I should probably go to DMU.
Actually, DMU, KCUMB, and my most awesome KCOM all have rotation sites in St. Louis (which is where my family is hoping to go). KCOM has them both at Des Peres hospital and Christian hospital. So what I'm saying is, there's a chance!

Is Slaters bomb?.... Is Slaters BOMB?!?! The Slaters 50/50 burger is a juicy burger made of 50% beef and 50% bacon. They also have bacon ketchup. and bacon beer. and bacon tater tots. There is also a Sriracha burger as well as a Peanut butter and jelly burger with your choice of subbing the regular beef patty with the 50/50 patty (don't knock it til you try it!).

So yes, to answer your question. Slaters is bomb.
Oh Lordy