Do Schools dislike students who graduate early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alex9542

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had to work few years before coming to undergraduate.
Because I am older than most people, I want to graduate as soon as possible and move forward.

This is my second year but might graduate this year in the fall. I usually take 21~24 credits per semester, and I took 27 credits this semester. (6 credit online) My sci GPA is 4.00 and overall GPA is 3.92.

Would it be wise to graduate as early as two years to apply medical school? Do medical schools not like students who does not graduate in normal four years? I have volunteered at hospital for five years now, and I have been actively involved in undergraduate cultural club and other activities. (I just manage my time really well)

P.S: I am a student from Canada if that helps anything. (International Student)

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated in 3 yrs and it wasn't an issue. You're fine as long as your degree is from an accredited university. Also congrats on your scholastic achievements!

Graduating early in itself doesn't necessarily have a significant impact on your chances of getting into medical school as long as you complete all the pre-reqs and have a strong science GPA to show for it (which you do). The main issue with this, as gonnif pointed out, is being able to develop strong ECs/research/volunteering experiences during that short time span. While volunteering at a hospital for 5 years and being involved with undergraduate student organizations helps, I would try to diversify your clinical experiences and step into leadership positions to show additional depth with your ECs.

Thank you gonnif for your advices. I am not 30 yet, so that makes me feel a lot easier :)
Just to note, I am not forcing myself to be overwhelmed with classes only to graduate early; I actually enjoy all my classes!
I still have enough time to hang out with friends, play sports, and play computer games! I love our school and my life here :D

Thank you everyone for help and information. I am glad graduating early isn't as much of a concern as I worried.
I am taking MCAT in the summer, so hopefully I stay strong till the end and write real good application!