do schools hold it against you when you apply before all your prereqs are done?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjb924

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading this forum for awhile and it's finally time for me to start working on my DPT applications! I'm have an undergrad degree in psych (overall gpa 3.37) and my prereq GPA thus far is a 4.0. I am working on Physics I & II this summer, and then A&P 2 and Chem 2 in the fall. I've got about 60 hours observation thus far, but hope to have about 120 when I apply.

My top choice right now is SUNY Upstate, because of the instate tuition price. SUNY Upstate recommends you apply ASAP, as early as August. Do schools hold it against you when you are still working on prereqs? I know they say they don't, but I feel like I've read people have been denied b/c of not having all their prereqs done. Thanks so much, and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school. Some of them are 'fussy'. Like UNC won't even look at you if you still are completing pre-reqs. I would check their website and if you aren't sure, I'd call and talk to the admissions (or better yet call the department secretary and they will give you a straight answer)

Hope that helps!

yeah, I spoke with someone in admissions there, and they said it didn't matter and you could apply before your prereqs were completed...but I'm curious if they are saying that just to get my application money sooner! Plus its rolling admissions, and I wonder if they would put my application on the back burner right away because of the prereqs...I'm just reallyyyy hoping to get in here!