Do schools know whether you have been accepted or rejected at other schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IQ2US

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if schools find out whether you have been accepted or rejected at other schools and if they use this information at all.

Members don't see this ad.

The Multiple Acceptance Report comes out in February, so by then schools can find out where you've been accepted to...not sure about rejections.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Multiple Acceptance Report comes out in February, so by then schools can find out where you've been accepted to...not sure about rejections.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this only applies to schools that have accepted you right?

Also, would schools which have not accepted you be able to tell whether you were accepted in general (yes/no)?

Correct me if I'm wrong but this only applies to schools that have accepted you right?

Also, would schools which have not accepted you be able to tell whether you were accepted in general (yes/no)?
In February we see where our accepted students are holding acceptances.
In March we see where our waitlist candidates are holding acceptances.

Reactions: 2 users

Interesting. Has it been that way for quite a while?

Does this information influence anything? Or is it just to make sure you are not holding more than one acceptance by whatever the deadline is to reduce it down to one?

Thank you!!!

Something I'm unsure about -- if you're hoping to get off the waitlist at a particular school, would they be more likely to accept you if you had a plethora of other acceptances, or if you had no acceptances? With the former, the school might think that you're obviously a great candidate whom they should accept too, but with the latter, they might feel they have a better shot of protecting their yield by accepting you.

Is that thinking too much into this?

Does this information influence anything? Or is it just to make sure you are not holding more than one acceptance by whatever the deadline is to reduce it down to one?
The accepted list gives us an idea of how many more acceptances may be needed (or that we have already given out enough!).
The waitlist accepts give us an idea of the depth and breadth of the bench, should we need to go to it.

Thank you!!!

Something I'm unsure about -- if you're hoping to get off the waitlist at a particular school, would they be more likely to accept you if you had a plethora of other acceptances, or if you had no acceptances? With the former, the school might think that you're obviously a great candidate whom they should accept too, but with the latter, they might feel they have a better shot of protecting their yield by accepting you.

Is that thinking too much into this?
If the school has a ranked waitlist, it doesn't matter.
An unranked waitlist allows for more autonomy to re-balance the class, if needed.
I cannot speak for how others interpret the difference between multiple accepts and none. I tend to trust our process and stick with our internal assessment of the candidate.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it February 1st and March 1st?

EDIT: Found February 10th for the former but can't find the latter.