Do schools offer signing bonuses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The_Trainer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has heard of PT schools making offers to attend (Scholarships that you do not need to apply to)?

Also, has anyone tried and succeeded at getting money to attend?

Members don't see this ad.

"Signing bonuses" is a funny way to put it. :) Go through the sticky at the top. There are some people who have gotten hefty scholarships from schools.

Reactions: 1 users
lol...signing bonuses would be awesome. I'd feel like a professional athlete.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I made my commitment and signed at my school in March 2013. 3 year deal worth around $100,000, an additional $5,000 if I had perfect attendance. I'm coming up on my contract year, so here's to hoping my performance is up to par.

Reactions: 3 users
OP, the answer to your question is yes. Some programs have set scholarships that they offer to the top applicants to entice them.

I made my commitment and signed at my school in March 2013. 3 year deal worth around $100,000, an additional $5,000 if I had perfect attendance. I'm coming up on my contract year, so here's to hoping my performance is up to par.

:lol:

Some of the high dollar private schools will offer scholarships to entice people...but these are extremely few and far between. I would strongly advise the OP to go through the application process with the assumption that they will not be receiving a scholarship of any kind. If you do, it is a pleasant surprise. But it is highly likely that you will not.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wondering if anyone has heard of PT schools making offers to attend (Scholarships that you do not need to apply to)?

Also, has anyone tried and succeeded at getting money to attend?

Here are a few schools that for sure offer scholarships: Arcadia, Drexel, and TWU, although TWU you have to apply after being accepted. The other two send scholarship offers with admission.

Then there are a few more that I've heard people have received scholarships at: Simmons, Columbia, MGH, and I think possibly BU, but I'm not certain if my recollection is correct on that last one.

There may be others, of course, but it is difficult to tease this information out of the school's websites. There really aren't a lot of schools that have scholarships available. There are a few schools that offer grad assistantships, also, but usually they seem to be reserved for second and third year students, and are not guaranteed.

In addition to the above schools, I know that Delaware offers academic scholarships at the time of acceptance.

Here are a few schools that for sure offer scholarships: Arcadia, Drexel, and TWU, although TWU you have to apply after being accepted. The other two send scholarship offers with admission.

Then there are a few more that I've heard people have received scholarships at: Simmons, Columbia, MGH, and I think possibly BU, but I'm not certain if my recollection is correct on that last one.

These are pretty much all the ones I've seen people on here reporting scholarships from as well.

Keep in mind that most of them are very expensive schools to begin with, so even with a large scholarship they will probably still ending up costing more than your state school(s).

These are pretty much all the ones I've seen people on here reporting scholarships from as well.

Keep in mind that most of them are very expensive schools to begin with, so even with a large scholarship they will probably still ending up costing more than your state school(s).

Sadly, that is not the case if you live in CT. In fact, the out of state tuition at TWU is less than our in-state tuition at UCONN, and I think there are several other state schools that are also cheaper for out of state students if you live in CT. It's kind of depressing, really.

Sadly, that is not the case if you live in CT. In fact, the out of state tuition at TWU is less than our in-state tuition at UCONN, and I think there are several other state schools that are also cheaper for out of state students if you live in CT. It's kind of depressing, really.

No doubt. Thanks for pointing this out. Texas is on a pretty different playing field than the rest of the country when it comes to tuition though.

LIU Brooklyn offers scholarships as well

I believe both Regis University and Washington University offer some scholarships as well.

I'm from California and was in the exact same situation in terms of super expensive in-state tuition. That's why I ended up moving to Texas for PT school (and am lucky enough to be paying in-state tuition in Texas)!

NAU also offers a small number of out-of-state tuition waivers with their acceptances.

"Signing bonuses"?? :laugh:

There are lots of schools that have small scholarships (eg $1-5k). In fact I would say at the majority of PT schools you'd have a chance to try to pick up a thousand bucks here or there...but for the most part PT students shouldn't count on having a substantial portion of their cost defrayed by scholarships.