Do schools where you are waitlisted know where you've been accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lisa13579

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a letter from a school I've been accepted to today which says, "I've been informed by AAMC that you are also holding a place at X and X schools".

Do schools where you are on the waiting list also get this info? Will it make you less likely to get off the waitlist??

Members don't see this ad.

You most likely received that letter in anticipation of May 15th. That is to ensure that you are not holding 2 acceptences come May 15th. Since you are allowed to hold multiple waitlists along with an acceptence, I doubt schools know what schools you have been waitlisted at, but I wouldn't put it past them.

I don't think so though.

The question is does a wailisted school know which school you are holding your post-May 15th acceptance at? Yes, they do as they must contact your acceptance to tell them that they would like to accept you. Its part of the procedure...

Members don't see this ad :)
Eraserhead said:
The question is does a wailisted school know which school you are holding your post-May 15th acceptance at? Yes, they do as they must contact your acceptance to tell them that they would like to accept you. Its part of the procedure...
are you sure about this? seems rather unlikely when they are running down a waitlist calling people. i can't imagine them calling each school along with the student.

Eraserhead said:

schools can go on the aamc website and find out about your other acceptances. so yes they do know. and what eraser is say is true...yes it is part of the aamc rules. they do call the school you said yes to on may 15 and tell them you will be taiken off their waitlist. look at the aamc website (i do think, however, that this happens after june 1st, but im not sure...)...

cmudan said:
are you sure about this? seems rather unlikely when they are running down a waitlist calling people. i can't imagine them calling each school along with the student.

Yes, its in the information UCSD sent to me.

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/recommendations.htm

---Prior to May 15 of the year of matriculation, an applicant should be given at least two weeks to reply to an offer of admission. After May 15, schools may require applicants to respond to acceptance offers in less than two weeks. An applicant may be required to file a statement of intent, a deposit, or both. The statement of intent should provide freedom to withdraw if the applicant is later accepted by a school that he or she prefers. Under no circumstances should an applicant be asked to withdraw from waiting lists as a condition of accepting a place.

---Subsequent to June 1, a school of medicine seeking to admit an applicant already known to be accepted by another school for that entering class should advise that school of its intent. Because of the administrative problems involved in filling a place vacated just prior to the commencement of the academic year, schools should communicate fully with each other with respect to anticipated late roster changes in order to keep misunderstandings at a minimum.

its fun helping eachother. i love sdn!

Thanks

I really did mean....right now (pre-May 15th) do schools where I am waitlisted know that I have multiple acceptances? I want to go to the waitlisted school more than the other schools I've been accepted to. And I'm wondering if them seeing that I have choices hurts me.

okay. im not sure how much they take it into account, but they do know where you have been accepted. all they have to do is log on aamc/amcas and check.

you should prolly write an loi to this school you are waitlisted at and let them know that you are more interested in them.

docmemi said:
okay. im not sure how much they take it into account, but they do know where you have been accepted. all they have to do is log on aamc/amcas and check.

lisa13579 said:
Thanks

I really did mean....right now (pre-May 15th) do schools where I am waitlisted know that I have multiple acceptances? I want to go to the waitlisted school more than the other schools I've been accepted to. And I'm wondering if them seeing that I have choices hurts me.
I doubt schools will take into account how many other places you have been accepted when making waitlist acceptance decisions. They should realize that there are gonna be people who have multiple, even many, choices. The more important things are: whether they want you & whether you want them (Hint: send letters of interest!)