DO Schools with non-MCAT requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pritomd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What I define a MCAT-requirement is inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, biology, and english (plus however much time/credits you need for them)

Are there any schools with special requirements besides those? Not "highly recommended" since lots of schools recommend X number of upper div science classes or whatever, but just REQUIRED classes...

I looked and saw MSUCOM needed 3 credits of genetics and 3 credits of biochemistry along with 6 credits of a behavioral science...sort of stringent class requirements, don't think I can apply since I never could fit those into my engineering degree!

Any others?

Members don't see this ad.

What I define a MCAT-requirement is inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, biology, and english (plus however much time/credits you need for them)

Are there any schools with special requirements besides those? Not "highly recommended" since lots of schools recommend X number of upper div science classes or whatever, but just REQUIRED classes...

I looked and saw MSUCOM needed 3 credits of genetics and 3 credits of biochemistry along with 6 credits of a behavioral science...sort of stringent class requirements, don't think I can apply since I never could fit those into my engineering degree!

Any others?

I think genetics is starting to be a larger portion of the MCAT so I'd define it as an MCAT requirement. (I think they're cutting down on orgo and trying to add more genetics). Some schools may require it and you can check that out by looking at the CIB (http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2012cib/2012cib-whole.pdf). And if you can't fit them in during the regular school year, summer school is always an option!

More and more schools are requiring biochem and genetics. They are easy enough to figure out as you visit the webpages for the ones you are interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM requires 6 credits of behavioral sciences.

Are these requirements you need when you matriculate, or when you apply?

their definition of "behavioral sciences" can be loosely interpreted as well... I needed a letter from the dean, but I was able to make my philosophy minor fit their criteria. Just gotta ask.

The behavioral sciences is NP, I have a few soc classes under my belt

but blah..I think I'm gonna have to end up taking genetics and biochem -_- I was already leaning towards it since MSUCOM is one of my top choices..but if other schools require those classes (so I can app broadly)...I might as well do it for sure

At least they're upper div science classes and will look good all around if I do well :cool:

from http://www.mcatchanges.com/
"Among the current suggested changes to the new post-2014 MCAT: redividing the test into four new sections—molecular and cellular biology, biochemistry, behavioral and social sciences, and critical analysis and reasoning; (2) adding approximately 90 minutes to the current exam thus the total test time could be estimated at seven hours. The most recent report - released by the MR5 Committee of the AAMC - also suggests the removal of the only written part of the exam: the Writing Sample."

If they follow through with this I can see more schools requiring these classes since you'll have to have some kind of background for the test. But hey, that's not for a few more years, so you'll be fine.