DO - seeking honest assessment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOhope

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
About myself:
Non traditional student. Willing to do whatever it takes to get into DO school.

Stats:
B.S. Chemical Engineer (2.86 cgpa 3.0 sgpa)
M.S. Cellular and Molecular Bio (3.74 cgpa 3.66 sgpa)

DO stats:
cgpa 3.11
sgpa 3.24

MCAT
25P (I took that cold turkey due to inhospitable work schedule)

Current occupation: Quality Control tester for pharma company.

ECs:
Shadowed 3 MDs, 2 DOs
Volunteer at Soup Kitchens/Homeless shelters (since high school)
Leader in Boy Scout Troop (also earned my Eagle back in the day)
Co-Author in 2 medical publications
Assisted in writing NIH grant (successful)

Obstacle:
Spring semester my sophomore year (year from hell) I missed 1 month of class time due to hospitalization. Instead of withdrawing from the semester and thus potentially forfeiting my scholarship, I decided to stay in. I converted 4 D's (being out of school earned me 0's in lab reports and quiz grades) into 3 Cs and 1 B. Problem is those were all science courses: Analytical Chemistry (C+), Orgo II (C), Cell Bio (B), and PChem (C).

Note @ 188 college credits (so adding more courses will have a small impact to my cgpa).

Thoughts on what I should do...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply to Medical School!

Not sure of your particular geographical location, but take the plunge and apply to schools that would fit your demographic.

Never "up to bat"? - Never hit a home run.

If you can study a little more for the MCAT and get it as close to a 30 as possible, you may have a strong chance. your GPA is low, of course, but I think you can explain it. make sure you apply as early as you can, and apply broadly! Is there a DO school in your state?

Members don't see this ad :)
you may have a strong chance

-> I was thinking of retaking the mcat again. Hesitated because I work full time. Don't want my scores to go down VS 7 PS 8 BS 10.

-> State I live in right now has no DO school. Closest school is in Maine I think.

-> Do y'all think I should take some more courses?
-> Or apply this year and see if any school bites? Maybe get some feedback?

-> I was thinking of retaking the mcat again. Hesitated because I work full time. Don't want my scores to go down VS 7 PS 8 BS 10.

-> State I live in right now has no DO school. Closest school is in Maine I think.

-> Do y'all think I should take some more courses?
-> Or apply this year and see if any school bites? Maybe get some feedback?

Retake C- or worse. Retake MCAT.

Retake C- or worse
Well that is the problem. The lowest grade I earned was a C. Never failed a class. Never withdrew from a class. Problem is I have a lot of B/B- grades Freshman/Soph/beginning of Jr year.

The only positive. After the semester/year from hell. My gpa went up. Trend was something like...

Fr year 2.8
So year 2.2
Jr year 3.1
Sr year 3.3
Grad yr 1 3.6
Grad yr 2 3.8

Last 120 credits (grad school included) are around a 3.5 gpa.

Would you recommend retaking B-/C+ ?

Last edited:
Some schools actually factor your masters GPA into your overall. I think the midwestern campuses do this (don't quote me on this). I think you should contact schools to find out. Otherwise, you still have a strong chance for DO school.

I wouldn't recommend retaking anything B- or higher.

Well that is the problem. The lowest grade I earned was a C. Never failed a class. Never withdrew from a class. Problem is I have a lot of B/B- grades Freshman/Soph/beginning of Jr year.

The only positive. After the semester/year from hell. My gpa went up. Trend was something like...

Fr year 2.8
So year 2.2
Jr year 3.1
Sr year 3.3
Grad yr 1 3.6
Grad yr 2 3.8

No, there's no point retaking anything lower than a C-; maybe a C. Right now, what you need is a strong MCAT score that proves you know the basics.

Fr year 2.8
So year 2.2
Jr year 3.1
Sr year 3.3
Grad yr 1 3.6
Grad yr 2 3.8

No. Focus on doing really well on the MCAT. Your GPA is probably not going to budge much unless you take a ton of credits.

Btw thank you to all those who took the time to comment on my post. I really appreciate it!

Based on the replies I have recieved, this is what I think I shall do...

Apply early decision in June. "retake" 2 courses part time: Physics I, (B-) and Orgo II (C). This will act as a refresher while I prep for a 2nd MCAT. Save up my sick days to take a few days off prior to the MCAT. Last time I took the MCAT I pulled an all night-er due to work.

About myself:

Stats:

DO stats:
cgpa 3.11
sgpa 3.24

MCAT

ECs:
Shadowed 3 MDs, 2 DOs

Obstacle:
Spring semester my sophomore year (year from hell) I missed 1 month of class time due to hospitalization. Instead of withdrawing from the semester and thus potentially forfeiting my scholarship, I decided to stay in. I converted 4 D's (being out of school earned me 0's in lab reports and quiz grades) into 3 Cs and 1 B. Problem is those were all science courses: Analytical Chemistry (C+), Orgo II (C), Cell Bio (B), and PChem (C).

Note @ 188 college credits (so adding more courses will have a small impact to my cgpa).

3.11/3.24/25 = OK chances. I would apply to:

1. ACOM
2. CUSOM
3. MUCOM
4. WCU
5. PNWU
6. VCOM
7. LMU
8. WVSOM
9. LECOM-E
10. PCOM
11. Touro-NV
12. ATSU-SOMA
13. ATSU-KCOM
14. KYCOM
15. PCOM-Ga

(All of these, based on my observation, are low to moderately competitive schools)

All that being said, be willing to move anywhere.

Last edited:
3.11/3.24/25 = OK chances. I would apply to:

1. ACOM
2. CUSOM
3. MUCOM
4. WCU
5. PNWU
6. VCOM
7. LMU
8. WVSOM
9. LECOM-E
10. PCOM
11. Touro-NV
12. ATSU-SOMA
13. ATSU-KCOM
14. KYCOM

All that being said, be willing to move anywhere.

Very unlikely given those stats.

OP will probably get in somewhere if applies early, but it will be one of the newer schools... The list of schools provided above is a good start.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be honored to be accepted to any DO school. All I can hope for is a chance :) and I am willing to move anywhere to get that chance. Thank you for the list of schools!

As per your advice MedPR: I will exclude PCOM and ATSU-KCOM from my list.

Would applying to a post-bac program also help? I think LECOM offers one for students with a 3.0-3.2 and a 25 mcat.

I would be honored to be accepted to any DO school. All I can hope for is a chance :) and I am willing to move anywhere to get that chance. Thank you for the list of schools!

As per your advice MedPR: I will exclude PCOM and ATSU-KCOM from my list.

Would applying to a post-bac program also help? I think LECOM offers one for students with a 3.0-3.2 and a 25 mcat.

Only if you want to do a post bacc. I think you'll get in somewhere if you submit AACOMAS early and are timely with secondaries

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I think you have a good chance at DO schools given that you apply early. Honestly, you would have a better chance with a higher MCAT.

Also I noticed you didn't mention it, but make sure you get your LORs (use Interfolio).

I would imagine you can get a cold 25 MCAT up a 28 with 100-200 hours of studying. I think your current application is gambling and you would be likely to get in with a 28 MCAT.

I would call the schools you are interested in and ask. Getting them to know who you are a little bit before applying can't hurt either.

I have shadowed 3 MDs (Family Physician) (1 Surgeon) (Addiction Medicine)
I have shadowed 2 DOs (Pediatrics) (Endocrinologist)

All 5 have offered to write letters of recommendation.

Several science professors offered to write letters of recommendation (Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry (curiously my C+ from my lousy year), Genetics, Physics, Histology, Heat and Mass Transfer & Material Science)

I would probably pick Biochem and Genetics.

I have shadowed 3 MDs (Family Physician) (1 Surgeon) (Addiction Medicine)
I have shadowed 2 DOs (Pediatrics) (Endocrinologist)

All 5 have offered to write letters of recommendation.

Several science professors offered to write letters of recommendation (Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry (curiously my C+ from my lousy year), Genetics, Physics, Histology, Heat and Mass Transfer & Material Science)

I would probably pick Biochem and Genetics.

That's great! Don't wait to ask them for LORs. You can have them submit them to your Interfolio account (make an account if you haven't already), so when application time comes, you won't be scrambling around.

IThe only thing I would say is focus on doing well on your MCAT retake, and I'm sure you will get some interviews. Good luck!

People are telling the OP not to gamble on an application cycle, well I say do not gamble on another MCAT. If he has no interviews by the end of the year, then he can sign up for a January retake. This guy will be happy with an acceptance to any DO school, its not like he is aiming for Harvard.

Wow. If you have time to study for the MCAT, retake it. You got a 25 and never studied for it?

Get it closer to 30 and you'll land some decent acceptances. That you did well in your grad studies should reflect well too.

Even if you don't retake, I think you still have an okay shot. Just be willing to apply to a lot of schools.

Update:

I applied to a few schools late just to see.

8 applied
4 interview invites
4 wait-lists

Currently I am enrolled in a night course (retake on a C+ course, so far have an A)
Using the course to act as a refresher for the MCATs, planning on taking it in July, practice test 28.

Question: Should I re-app June 1st early decision, even to schools I am currently on the alternative list at?

Ehh, you have a great chance of getting off one of those waitlists.

Wow pretty good results for applying late. Where did you apply, if I may ask?

Agreed, even my optimistic self is kind of surprised, to say the least.

Hope you can see now why I feel that 3.00+/3.00+/23+ and an early broad application stands a chance. If 3.1/3.2/25 can get 4/8 interviews applying in FEBRUARY, why can't someone with comparable GPA and 23 get in applying to 20 schools on June 1?

Last edited:
1. Acom
2. Cusom
3. Mucom
4. Lmu
5. Wvsom
6. Lecom-e
7. Lecom-b
8. Kycom

Agreed, even my optimistic self is kind of surprised, to say the least.

Hope you can see now why I feel that 3.00+/3.00+/23+ and an early broad application stands a chance. If 3.1/3.2/25 can get 4/8 interviews applying in FEBRUARY, why can't someone with comparable GPA and 23 get in applying to 20 schools on June 1?

Did OP really apply in February? If yes, I hate to admit it, but user3 is partially right when given his/her optimistic assessments. However, I still think 3.0 c/sGPA and 23 mcat is too low to have a good shot even applying early and broadly. Now I am willing to say that an applicant with 3.2 c/sGPA and 24 mcat, who applies early to 15+ schools, will likely get an acceptance.

Last edited:
1. Acom
2. Cusom
3. Mucom
4. Lmu
5. Wvsom
6. Lecom-e
7. Lecom-b
8. Kycom

You probably will be off one of these waitlists at the end of this month or early June. Good luck.:thumbup:

The strong MS performance should help, but the 25 MCAT isn't that stellar. Despite the work schedule, why you would take a career-defining exam cold turkey is beyond me, so don't mention that anywhere. Ditto the poor sophomore grades, it just smells of poor decision making.

If you can re-take the MCAT and score ~30, it would make you competitive at all DO programs. You're certainly fine with most of them, even mine. I predict lots of interviews.

About myself:

Stats:

DO stats:
cgpa 3.11
sgpa 3.24

MCAT

ECs:
Shadowed 3 MDs, 2 DOs

Obstacle:

Did OP really apply in February? If yes, I hate to admit it, but user3 is partially right when given his/her optimistic assessments. However, I still think 3.0 c/sGPA and 23 mcat is too low to have a good shot even applying early and broadly. Now I am willing to say that an applicant with 3.2 c/sGPA and 24 mcat, who applies early to 15+ schools, will likely get an acceptance.

yay! Im finally getting through to people :)