DO shadowing vs. MD shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harposnarpo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just discovered most of the doctors (3 of the 5) I had shadowed have D.O.'s and not M.D.'s. Really, I just looked up their names and discovered they went the DO route.

Do adcoms prefer more MD shadowing or am I okay?

Members don't see this ad.

it doesnt matter. shadowing a DO orthopedic surgeon and an MD orthopedic surgeon are the same exact thing. insert any medical specialty and it won't change.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just discovered most of the doctors (3 of the 5) I had shadowed have D.O.'s and not M.D.'s. Really, I just looked up their names and discovered they went the DO route.

Do adcoms prefer more MD shadowing or am I okay?

If you are applying DO this will actually be a plus.

It seems only DO schools care that you have shadowed DOs and have a LoR from a DO

It seems only DO schools care that you have shadowed DOs and have a LoR from a DO

All DO schools (if not a huge majority) require a LOR from a physician. Some absolutely require DO, others 'strongly recommend a DO,' and others just want a letter of rec from a doc. I'm curious if the OP is going to apply DO though, because I think shadowing a doc and not knowing he/she was a DO then finding out and becoming interested because of that doctor would make a cool interview/ps type story.

I did most of my shadowing with DOs, NPs, and PAs in family practice. Of course, I did have other MD shadowing experience, but I referenced my DO shadowing the most in my PS and interviews.

If you couldn't even tell that they were DO's at first then it shows you how much it shouldn't matter.