Do some dental schools reject applicants simply for applying to numerous schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HattoriHanzo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently told that Nova rejects applicants who apply to more than 5 or so schools without even looking at the rest of their application. Do some schools actually do this? If so, what other schools do this?

Members don't see this ad.

I was recently told that Nova rejects applicants who apply to more than 5 or so schools without even looking at the rest of their application. Do some schools actually do this? If so, what other schools do this?

I interviewed at Nova and I applied to 10.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never heard of this, though I have heard that some dental schools may reject you if you are applying to different types of programs (medical school, optometry school, etc.).

Reactions: 1 user
Where in the world did you hear that from? Unless you specifically tell the school how many schools you have applied to, I doubt they even know.

Got an interview for nova like in august and i have applied to 18 schools.. so i dont think thats true.

some schools ask you on the secondary app what other schools (dental) you applied to.
I am sure they won't reject you based on that, but they can use that to gauge how serious you are about their school if they are not sure about giving you the seat.

Thanks for the input everyone. Like 2THDDS said, some schools, like Nova, ask what other schools you've applied to in their secondary app.

The applicant who told me this was convinced he got rejected from Nova because of the number of schools he applied to. He and I had very similar stats... >3.5 GPA, 22-24 across the board for DAT, great ECs, >100 hrs of shadowing, etc. I, too, was rejected from Nova almost immediately...no more than a week after I submitted my secondary app, and I applied to 18 schools. But after reading some of your responses, I guess it must have been another reason why I was rejected from Nova so quickly. Just kinda sucks not knowing why you were rejected, especially so soon after you submit your secondary...

Thanks for the input everyone. Like 2THDDS said, some schools, like Nova, ask what other schools you've applied to in their secondary app.

The applicant who told me this was convinced he got rejected from Nova because of the number of schools he applied to. He and I had very similar stats... >3.5 GPA, 22-24 across the board for DAT, great ECs, >100 hrs of shadowing, etc. I, too, was rejected from Nova almost immediately...no more than a week after I submitted my secondary app, and I applied to 18 schools. But after reading some of your responses, I guess it must have been another reason why I was rejected from Nova so quickly. Just kinda sucks not knowing why you were rejected, especially so soon after you submit your secondary...
You could call and ask why you were rejected. Nova rejected me, and that's exactly what I did.

There must be something else other than the fact that you are applying to 15+ schools.
I applied to 19 schools, NOVA didn't reject me because of that. So, it's not always a clear cut situation.

Well, nothing about this admission process is clear cut. We are all kept in the dark till the end :)

UNLV asks on their supplemental which schools you applied to and I had 16. I already interviewed there and I rocked that interview. They never even brought it up.