DO student, Audition, and LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microshar88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I did not do so well in this previous match due to some red flags on my application. I only did one audition rotation and did not manage to secure an LOR from the program as my performance was not considered to be where it should be, in spite of trying hard. The place was a reach for me, so I suspect that my numbers had something to do with it.

So I am just evaluating myself for the next cycle. I will be a graduating this June and am looking into an AOA TRI. I just wanted to get some input so as to how bad it will look to not have an LOR on my application from a residency program?

I had a great one from a Psychiatrist I worked with in my 3rd year core rotation. But so far I have only done 2 Psychiatry rotations. I was wondering, if I should extend my graduation and try and do another audition at a Psychiatry program, get a great LOR, and re-apply?

I feel like the prime objective of DO students doing audition rotations, is to secure an LOR from an Academic writer as that carries a lot of weight since we don't have a full fledged Psychiatry residency program with our school. So I lucked out there. One of my friends was berating me for "wasting" 4th year tuition, by not utilizing the audition electives we had, and instead trying to do easy rotations to maximize interviews as well as for my personal reasons. He said that the malpractice the school paid for was golden as FMG's can't get the same experience with observerships.

Honestly, my COMLEX PE failure hit me pretty hard this cycle, and I wasn't as knowledgable about a lot of the audition/application aspects as I am today. But as the saying goes better late then never.

Just wanted to get some feedback on this. I messed up, and I'm trying to make things right this next round.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I know DO students who applied psych without auditions and matched quite well. I think it means more to have an LOR from a writer who can attest to (and articulate) the applicant's genuine interest in psychiatry.

I'm thinking it was the failed PE that hurt you most. That said, how many places did you rank? How can you be sure your letters were good? Could it be that others saw deficiencies such as those at your away rotation?

Take time to really look at yourself and be honest. Land a TRI, work your butt off and apply far and wide next year. Can you do psych electives during a TRI?

Keep your head up and make the most of this!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know DO students who applied psych without auditions and matched quite well. I think it means more to have an LOR from a writer who can attest to (and articulate) the applicant's genuine interest in psychiatry.

I'm thinking it was the failed PE that hurt you most. That said, how many places did you rank? How can you be sure your letters were good? Could it be that others saw deficiencies such as those at your away rotation?

Take time to really look at yourself and be honest. Land a TRI, work your butt off and apply far and wide next year. Can you do psych electives during a TRI?

Keep your head up and make the most of this!

Thanks for the encouragement. I think my lack of USMLE, low COMLEX, PE failure, desire to stay in West Coast, was a huge disaster in my case. I should have only looked at AOA residencies.

I ranked 8 places in the MD match. My letters were good, because I read one of them, 2 of them I am assuming were also good, but I don't know for sure.

Regarding my away rotation, I struggled at first, but I made an active effort to improve and that was noted by the attending. I think you can do Psych during some TRI's.

The weird thing is I was considering Neurology as well and did a 3 week audition, where I think I was lackluster in terms of performance, but I got a glowing recommendation from the PD. Too bad I did not decide to rank Neurology as I could not see myself in that field.

I think the PD in the Neurology program just wanted someone who was "normal" and would interact well with others. But the attending at my Psychiatry audition wanted an all rounder.

Thanks for the encouragement. I think my lack of USMLE, low COMLEX, PE failure, desire to stay in West Coast, was a huge disaster in my case. I should have only looked at AOA residencies.

I ranked 8 places in the MD match. My letters were good, because I read one of them, 2 of them I am assuming were also good, but I don't know for sure.

Regarding my away rotation, I struggled at first, but I made an active effort to improve and that was noted by the attending. I think you can do Psych during some TRI's.

The weird thing is I was considering Neurology as well and did a 3 week audition, where I think I was lackluster in terms of performance, but I got a glowing recommendation from the PD. Too bad I did not decide to rank Neurology as I could not see myself in that field.

I think the PD in the Neurology program just wanted someone who was "normal" and would interact well with others. But the attending at my Psychiatry audition wanted an all rounder.
Keep your head up! Sounds like you have the right attitude. I like to believe that if we give our best efforts, we will find ourselves where we need to be. This may all turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to you. That said, keep us updated. Good luck on the hunt!

EDIT: just noticed I gave the "keep your head up" speech twice. must be the former coach in me!