Do US grads look down upon IMG/FMGs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danvasta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are IMG/FMG from non carribean med schools looked down upon by the US grads? what about compared to the carribean US citizen med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I think there's some stigma against Caribbean grads, but everybody knows that some of the best and brightest docs from overseas are the ones that come here. And I think that Caribbean docs (and DOs) can usually overcome the stigma if they demonstrate that they're good doctors... but unfortunately, many people only reinforce the stigma.

I don't think that people "look down" on doctors coming from overseas, but a lot of those doctors feel like others look down on them... and I think the reason is just because some of them have poor English/communication skills. I've met a lot of doctors who don't speak good English, but refuse to accept that this is a problem. I've noticed that doctors with poor English skills continue to complain about the "stigma" against foreigners, while doctors with good English skills rarely seem to have such complaints.

Are IMG/FMG from non carribean med schools looked down upon by the US grads? what about compared to the carribean US citizen med schools?

It's not an issue of looking down or stigma. IMGs don't do as well in the match because they haven't jumped through the identical set of hoops, which we have imposed for quality control purposes, so it becomes an apples and oranges comparison. And there are more apples every year, so less need to know anything about the oranges. Basically PDs know what they are getting when they get a US grad because the LCME has mandated their med school experience -- it's a form of quality assurance. Some IMGs are great and often better trained, but there are a lot of countries out there with variable training, and it's never going to worth anyone's effort to figure out how to sort through them, and there are just too many example of IMGs who had steep learning curves with the US system.

Members don't see this ad :)
You would be amazed how little interest most people have in your past. Once you are a year into medical school, your undergrad becomes irrelevant. Once you are a year into residency, your med school becomes irrelevant. Once you are a year into being an attending, your residency becomes irrelevant.

What will matter is the reputation you make for yourself, day in and day out, doing your job.

Would US grads ever consider dating IMG's ? The reason I am asking is because I've a heard a US grad refer to an IMG as 'not as academic' and rejecting them for a date (without knowing anything about them). So I thought maybe there is some kind of stigma regarding this matter esp among residents.

Would US grads ever consider dating IMG's ? The reason I am asking is because I've a heard a US grad refer to an IMG as 'not as academic' and rejecting them for a date (without knowing anything about them). So I thought maybe there is some kind of stigma regarding this matter esp among residents.

This is a joke, right?

Based upon posts I've read here, it's safe to say some US MD/DO candidates look way down at Carrib MD candidates.

10, 15, 20 years out no one cares. An MD is an MD is an MD. If you are board certified, no malpractice or state board hassles, no "troubles" with law, where you went to school--unless you're in academics--matters. Nobody cares. These days with noctors, ACA degradation of medicine, nobody cares.

Don't worry what others look down on. If you want to pursue a medical career, do so in the best way possible to you and forget about what others think.

10, 15, 20 years out no one cares. An MD is an MD is an MD. If you are board certified, no malpractice or state board hassles, no "troubles" with law, where you went to school--unless you're in academics--matters. Nobody cares. These days with noctors, ACA degradation of medicine, nobody cares.
mostly true (it's purely subjective when it comes to hiring) but that's way after you've jumped through all the hoops

I think Carrib grads versus IMG grads are two different things. I am married to an IMG, and I am impressed by how much they have to sacrifice in order to practice in the US. Many are learning a new language, recapturing concepts they learned in Med School, and submitting themselves to go through residency a second time.

I would definitely look down on an American who went the Carribean route because it tells me they weren't even competitive enough to get into the US system, however if that person matched into a competitive residency I would probably get over it real quick, because it isn't really possible to cheat the USMLE and Match process. In fact I'd probably be impressed because they are starting at a disadvantage and still managed to do well on the boards.

Once you are in residency it really doesn't matter anymore.

Reactions: 1 users
trolling at its finest