Do Veterinary Schools give scholarships based on academics or need?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmss011223344

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so, how do I find them for each school. Their websites are like mazes I can't find their scholarships. If not, how do people finance their education?

Members don't see this ad.

If so, how do I find them for each school. Their websites are like mazes I can't find their scholarships. If not, how do people finance their education?
If you don't have any (or enough) money from scholarships, grants, or personal savings, you have to turn to loans. That's the only way you could make it happen.

At least for my school, you aren't given access to the scholarship database until you're a student. Our application period opens in December, so maybe it is similar for the school you're looking at. I couldn't tell you what specifically defines 'need' at this point since every veterinary student is in some state of financial need at any given time. There are some other scholarships you can find if you Google for a while and explore all of your options (some states provide scholarships, as well as pet food brands, drug companies, etc.).

There are also several other threads on financing options if you use the search. There's also a sticky thread at the top of the forum for costs that has had some discussion on financial aid.

Scholarships are given for both academics and need depending on the school. BUT THEY WILL NOT COVER FULL TUITION/EXPENSES. Caps for emphasis. Most vet school scholarships are a few thousand at most. Full ride scholarships as they exist in undergrad are not a thing in vet school. You're either independently wealthy with a trust fund, or you take out loans.

(PS: This has been discussed at length. Please use the search function before starting a new thread.)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Scholarships are given for both academics and need depending on the school. BUT THEY WILL NOT COVER FULL TUITION/EXPENSES. Caps for emphasis. Most vet school scholarships are a few thousand at most. Full ride scholarships as they exist in undergrad are not a thing in vet school. You're either independently wealthy with a trust fund, or you take out loans.

(PS: This has been discussed at length. Please use the search function before starting a new thread.)
Speaking for my school alone, there were a few full ride scholarships for IS tuition. Obviously your odds are probably slim since everyone applies for those, but they do exist for at least one school.

Most scholarships don't really 'start' until 2nd year. There will be a time during 2nd semester 1st year that you can apply. The large majority will be grades based with some influence from areas of interest and demonstrated activities like leadership or public service. Some will be need based, but you also will need decent grades for those, And no, maybe one or two people in my class got most of tuition paid by scholarships, but 1: our school is much cheaper IS than others, and 2: these were the super 4.0 smarty pants kids that went above and beyond.

At my school I find that it is the same people that win scholarships every year, and those people are the ones at the top of the class :(

It likely depends in the school. But the way CSU works is that you complete one application form, which acts as a common app for all CSU-related scholarships. That, along with the FAFSA, grants you with many opportunities. Sometimes you'll even get scholarships that don't have to do with vet school. I was just awarded a grant from CSU for students with financial need, for example. It has nothing to do with vet school in this particular case. I think one of the best resources for this is each school's financial aide office.