About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do we hav to.get one LOR from a dentist?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by kies89, May 1, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. kies89

kies89

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I hav 2 LOR frim my science professors and was wondering if i hav to grt one from the dentist
    can it be non science professor.as well?

Or maybe all three from science prof?
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  2. Kahr

Kahr audi 5000 Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor

Dental Student
    Navy Air Force SDN 5+ Year Member
    Basically it's up to you. The safest is to get 3 science letters, as a few schools require specifically 3 science letters. However if you are not applying to a school that requires this, you can get one from a dentist or a non-science professor, either is typically fine. Another option is to get 4 letters (the maximum allowed on AADSAS), where you could do 3 science and a dentist or non-science.

Examples of what school's require:

Columbia: Three CONFIDENTIAL letters of recommendation from science professors or one composite letter from a pre-health committee. Additional letters of recommendation from employers or non-science professors will be accepted, but will not satisfy the requirement. Official letters of recommendation are only sent directly to the AADSAS application service.

UOP: Three letters of evaluation. If your undergraduate institution has a pre-health advisory committee, a committee evaluation is recommended. Otherwise you must submit two letters of evaluation from science instructors and an additional letter from a health care professional or employer.

OHSU: OHSU requires two letters of evaluation from basic science faculty and one from a dental professional, or one pre-professional committee letter. If your pre-professional committee letter does not include an evaluation from a dentist, we ask that you send a supplemental letter of evaluation from a dentist under separate cover.

And on and on. Hope this helps. :)
  3. SupDanLOL

SupDanLOL

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I remember that Tufts, for example, absolutely required a LOR from a dentist. It had to be separate from a committee letter, if you got one of those (even if it had been incorporated into it).
  4. kies89

kies89

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    so i guess it is safe to get 2 science letters and 1 dentist..
  5. sacapuntas

sacapuntas Old Man Invierno Gold Donor

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Wow was this unique to Tufts?

I don't understand 'Why' when their letter is included in its entirety with a committee letter packet. On their website it mentions requiring a LOR with specific hours shadowing mentioned but does not say anything about it being a separate letter.

Or does not every school include the original letters with the committee letter?