do we hav to.get one LOR from a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kies89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hav 2 LOR frim my science professors and was wondering if i hav to grt one from the dentist
can it be non science professor.as well?

Or maybe all three from science prof?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Basically it's up to you. The safest is to get 3 science letters, as a few schools require specifically 3 science letters. However if you are not applying to a school that requires this, you can get one from a dentist or a non-science professor, either is typically fine. Another option is to get 4 letters (the maximum allowed on AADSAS), where you could do 3 science and a dentist or non-science.

Examples of what school's require:

Columbia: Three CONFIDENTIAL letters of recommendation from science professors or one composite letter from a pre-health committee. Additional letters of recommendation from employers or non-science professors will be accepted, but will not satisfy the requirement. Official letters of recommendation are only sent directly to the AADSAS application service.

UOP: Three letters of evaluation. If your undergraduate institution has a pre-health advisory committee, a committee evaluation is recommended. Otherwise you must submit two letters of evaluation from science instructors and an additional letter from a health care professional or employer.

OHSU: OHSU requires two letters of evaluation from basic science faculty and one from a dental professional, or one pre-professional committee letter. If your pre-professional committee letter does not include an evaluation from a dentist, we ask that you send a supplemental letter of evaluation from a dentist under separate cover.

And on and on. Hope this helps. :)

I hav 2 LOR frim my science professors and was wondering if i hav to grt one from the dentist
can it be non science professor.as well?

Or maybe all three from science prof?

I remember that Tufts, for example, absolutely required a LOR from a dentist. It had to be separate from a committee letter, if you got one of those (even if it had been incorporated into it).

Members don't see this ad :)
so i guess it is safe to get 2 science letters and 1 dentist..

I remember that Tufts, for example, absolutely required a LOR from a dentist. It had to be separate from a committee letter, if you got one of those (even if it had been incorporated into it).

Wow was this unique to Tufts?

I don't understand 'Why' when their letter is included in its entirety with a committee letter packet. On their website it mentions requiring a LOR with specific hours shadowing mentioned but does not say anything about it being a separate letter.

Or does not every school include the original letters with the committee letter?