Do we have admins for this forum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Q

Qrxn

Oh hi Mental Health Forum!

I've ventured over from the pre-med forums and, as I am thankfully no longer interested in becoming an MD, am happy to make this my new SDN home. A lot of the other forums have stickies, admins, fancy information, introductions, etc. I was curious if anyone admins on this side of the forums? It seems much quieter than the other sites so maybe they are unnecessary?

At any rate, nice to meet you fine people.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the admins for THIS forum are the same ones from the Psychology PhD Forum; this forum was created for all of the various midlevel mental health practitioners since they were starting to... water down (?) the PhD threads, which is weird, because as you said it IS rather slow. I keep trying to put out interesting (interesting to me at least) threads to get some discussions going, but it pretty much seems to be me and two others lately with the occasional new person. So, WELCOME! It is nice to meet you too!

It tends to be very slow over on this side. There were once moderators just for this forum. They will pop their heads in every once in a while.

Sometimes people graduate and don't come back for a while!!! I like to lurk in both forums and try to pop in and read once a week or so. I just finished a particularly hellish semester so I've had more free time to come read the boards lately.

Welcome and Howdy :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, as wesleysmit mentioned, myself and futureapppsy2 are the mods for both this forum and the Ph.D./Psy.D. forum.

Folks are of course always welcome to view both (and whatever other forums on SDN they'd like); we just keep the two separated when it comes to profession-specific threads.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, there was a sticky for this forum, but at one time they tried to merge the forums, so I think the MSW sticky thread got "stuck" on the PhD/PsyD side.

Or at least it still shows that way on my mobile app.

I must say, I have been reading the PhD/PsyD threads and I can't get enough of it. I hope that this forum becomes more active when the fall semester starts.

Reactions: 1 users
Are any of us students taking summer courses?

Last edited:
I don't start until 09/02 - otherwise I'd be a little more chatty, until then I have very little to add other than a question here and there :S

I'm taking a military social work course this summer. My fall semester is the 4th of September. If I think of something that provokes reflection/ discussion I post it in the interim. I hope others do the same.

I'm taking summer classes. I am in Biopsychosocial Determinants of Health and Mental Health Assessment and Diagnosis.

My schedule is very light from now until Jan. In Jan I will start my 40 hour a week Practicum and my seminar class.

Submarine, do you have any current association with military or are you just interested in serving that population?

I'm taking summer classes. I am in Biopsychosocial Determinants of Health and Mental Health Assessment and Diagnosis.

My schedule is very light from now until Jan. In Jan I will start my 40 hour a week Practicum and my seminar class.

That's interesting; I've read several posts now where people refer to a 40 hour per week Practicum, is this common? All of the program I've looked into (including the one I'm enrolled in) are four semesters of 16 hours per week.

Last edited:
WesleySmith, my practicum is 24 hours a week for all four semesters. Goobernut, I am interested in your practicum too. Your class sounds fascinating as well!
I was in the military and have a vested interest in working with Active Duty, reserves, veterans, and their families.

Goobernut, I see that your taking two classes. When I read it I thought that was all one class. My apology. I stand by my previous comment though, A&D is my favorite class thus far.

From what I can tell every school organizes their Practicum differently. I had an insane first year. 12 hours of class and 20 hours a week practicum for Sept. thru May. Crazy busy. However, I have no practicum this fall.

I'm looking forward to the Practicum, I'm really still trying to decide if I'm going to do health or mental health. My original plan was to do my foundation Practicum in health, and my concentration year in mental health. However, I really loved working as part of a primary care team. It was the most enjoyable work I've done so far. I'm torn now. I'm settling it by seeing what kind of options there are for me when I interview.

The biopsychosocial determinants class is about genomics and how to incorporate it with social work practice. So far it's been basic bio 101 stuff (we drew Punnett squares!) but I've only been to the first 2 classes. I'm looking forward to the section on Epigenetics. I know, I'm strange.

Sub, if you were/are in the military do you think they will address anything in the class you aren't already familiar with. I was told I probably would be best served by taking another class. I do remember they told me it was mostly terminology and learning about the culture. Hopefully your class is different.

Goobernut, yesterday was day two of the class and it has been largely an indoctrination into military culture. It is too late to drop the class and my hope is that we get into interventions and applicable theories in the next meeting. It is not at all what I expected. I think I was overzealous and excited because it is the only class offered in New England that has any semblance to military social work.