USMLE Do we have to cancel inpt/ER orders when finishing CCS cases?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

resident01

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For Step 3 CCS. At the end of a case, do we need to d/c orders like oxygen, IV access, cardiac monitoring, etc. before discharging a patient?

Members don't see this ad.

This is good question, does anyone know answer? What does the FRED ccs cases show, the 6 examples that are given from usmle? Please I don't want to fail exam because of not knowing whether or not to do this...

curious about this as well. the thing is, i dont think we are actually discharging the patient if that screen pops up. if the patient no longer needs iv access, then i think it is ok to cancel it, etc

Members don't see this ad :)
For Step 3 CCS. At the end of a case, do we need to d/c orders like oxygen, IV access, cardiac monitoring, etc. before discharging a patient?

I don't think that if things are going well, you will need to discharge the patient. Typically for example for surgical patients, you order the surgery and the case will end pretty much immediately.

Now according to archer, you shouldn't discontinue any medication especially for ER cases even if your case ends early.

Now according to archer, you shouldn't discontinue any medication especially for ER cases even if your case ends early.

Really? Because I feel like there would be lots of reasons to stol a medication. Like stopping OCP in a PE case. Stopping anticoagulation in stroke case where your giving tpa. Stopping oral hypoglycemics.