Do we need upper level biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysicianScientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering whether we needed to take upper level biology classes? By the time I will apply I will have taken general bio 1 and 2 w/ lab and biochemistry - but that's it. I will not have taken microbiology, cell biology or anything else. I heard some people saying (and saw on some websites) that upper level bio classes like microbiology and cell biology will become a requirement soon. Is this true? What upper level biology classes should non-bio majors take?

Members don't see this ad.

Someone named PhysicianScientist should be ballin' in those upper division science classes.

Aside from biochem being an occasional requirement (soon to be required because of the MCAT changes) above the biologies, chems and physics courses at some schools, the prerequisites are pretty much the same across the board. The courses most people need in order to apply broadly would be:
Bio I and II
Chem I and II
Physics I and II
Ochem I and II
Calc I
Biochem I
Statistics (at least my state school used to require it)
Psych and Sociology (most people take at least one of these anyway)

The addition of the courses you mentioned would make it even more difficult for non bio/chem majors to prepare for medical school in a decent timeframe, but that hasn't stopped the AAMC from building a more complex MCAT with more prerequisites. Who knows? For now, it looks like we're safe with the basics, more or less.

For what it's worth, I was told today by a 3rd year MCG student that I should take cell biology before med school.

Reactions: 1 users
Someone named PhysicianScientist should be ballin' in those upper division classes.

Aside from biochem being an occasional requirement (soon to be required because of the MCAT changes) above the biologies, chems and physics courses at some schools, the prerequisites are pretty much the same across the board. The courses most people need in order to apply broadly would be:
Bio I and II
Chem I and II
Physics I and II
Ochem I and II
Calc I
Biochem I
Statistics (at least my state school used to require it)
Psych and Sociology (most people take at least one of these anyway)

The addition of the courses you mentioned would make it even more difficult for non bio/chem majors to prepare for medical school in a decent timeframe, but that hasn't stopped the AAMC from building a more complex MCAT with more prerequisites. Who knows? For now, it looks like we're safe with the basics, more or less.

For what it's worth, I was told today by a 3rd year MCG student that I should take cell biology before med school.

I heard from a medical school that they like to see some of these classes but they aren't necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I heard from a medical school that they like to see some of these classes but they aren't necessary.
Yeah. Many schools have a whole list of "recommended" classes. It would be tough to fit them all in though, especially for a non-science major.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah. Many schools have a whole list of "recommended" classes. It would be tough to fit them all in though, especially for a non-science major.

Yea it is tough. I managed to fit in all of these classes though and more. But I'm a science major.

Microbiology, A&P, Genetics, and Cell Biology are supposedly pretty useful on the current and new MCAT as well. So that is an added benefit of taking those classes.