DO : What are my chances ACOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey everyone,

I recently was invited to interview at Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine. My interview date is March 30th; I applied back in October-Novemberish and didn't hear back from them until a couple weeks ago. I have a 3.65-3.7s GPA (AACOMAS calculated) and 3.5c GPA. My MCAT kinda screwed me over with a 25 (6 PS 9 VR and 10 BS). I have a letter of rec from an MD that I spent a lot of hours shadowing with and thought exemplified similar values as to what a DO practices and made that clear in my personal statement and the rest of my application. I am an FSU student and the school is about 2 hours away in Dothan.
I have volunteer hours and EC's like any other applicant, nothing over the top. However, I have recently started working as a TA and have been tutoring chem for the past couple years.

So my overall question is whether I have a solid chance here, or am I essentially interviewing for the wait list? I also am already wait listed at FSUCOM.

Thanks for your replies in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that you'll be OK. Go for it!

Hey everyone,

I recently was invited to interview at Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine. My interview date is March 30th; I applied back in October-Novemberish and didn't hear back from them until a couple weeks ago. I have a 3.65-3.7s GPA (AACOMAS calculated) and 3.5c GPA. My MCAT kinda screwed me over with a 25 (6 PS 9 VR and 10 BS). I have a letter of rec from an MD that I spent a lot of hours shadowing with and thought exemplified similar values as to what a DO practices and made that clear in my personal statement and the rest of my application. I am an FSU student and the school is about 2 hours away in Dothan.
I have volunteer hours and EC's like any other applicant, nothing over the top. However, I have recently started working as a TA and have been tutoring chem for the past couple years.

So my overall question is whether I have a solid chance here, or am I essentially interviewing for the wait list? I also am already wait listed at FSUCOM.

Thanks for your replies in advance!

Do you happen to know anything about how stringent these kind of schools are about having a DO physician LOR? I understand that I have not witnessed OMT however, I hate to use the word "holistic", but if a physician embodies that approach to treatment isn't that what matters?
And thank you for the reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
uhhh yeah you have a good chance. For sure. Just depends on how you handled your self at the interview. They seem to want an all around group of individuals here at ACOM. I thought I bombed my interview, but then I got the call. Wait list is better than no list. Keep your head up. :)

... also if you do get into ACOM shoot me a message and I'll guide you on the local scene, future apartment, and what to expect.

you don't have an acceptance yet and you're asking if you should turn down an interview?