DO what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sabdellatif

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your help, here are my stats:

Two Bachelor's of Science degrees in Molecular Genetics and Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 25Q - 7P, 9B, 9V

ECs:
Worked in a DO Family Practice clinic for 5 years
Worked at a cancer hospital for two years as a nurse's aide
Conducted research in psychoneuroimmunology for 3 years (no publications however)
Volunteered at a free clinic for five years
International volunteer work
Random - run competitively, speak three languages

I'm 24, and I just went through my first cycle of applications to MD schools last year and was horribly rejected (not sure why that surprised me). This year however, I've realized I was applying to MD schools for all the wrong reasons, and in reality the type of medicine I want to practice fits more with DO schools. My overall GPA is low due to extenuating family circumstances my freshman/sophomore year, which also means my grades in prerequisite courses aren't stellar. However for my junior/senior year I did work my butt off and maintained at least a 3.7 overall GPA every quarter, while working part time, doing research part time, as well as maintaining my volunteer commitments.

Is there any hope?

I really appreciate your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

i don't see why you shouldn't snag a couple acceptances if you apply widely/smartly. My buddy got that exact mcat score and a similar gpa and got into KCUMB, and his EC's weren't nearly as impressive. good luck!

Like slyfox said, you should be fine. If your app is ready send it out and apply broadly. Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
You will get a few interviews and depend on how well you perform...will get you accepted or not. When your grades are borderline, your other "stuffs" matter greatly.

Did you list your sGPA and I just missed it?

I might be wrong, but you'll probably need a 3.0+ sGPA with a mid 20s MCAT. You might have that, but I didn't see it so I thought Id give that input

Good Luck!