Do you bring work home with you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JakeSill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a pharmacist, do you "bring work home" with you? Physical work. Or are you able to leave work at work? Am I going to be able to just hang out at home when I am off or will I be constantly updating/reading about new stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

As a pharmacist, do you "bring work home" with you? Physical work. Or are you able to leave work at work? Am I going to be able to just hang out at home when I am off or will I be constantly updating/reading about new stuff?
Depends on where you work and what you do. I know some pharmacists involved in investigational drug research that spend way too much of their free time reading protocols. As for myself, the moment I step out of the building I am no longer a pharmacist.

Reactions: 2 users
I do some of my CEs at home, but mostly for convenience, I could pretty easily get them done at work if I wanted to (the live CEs would be tough to get done "on the clock" with my current schedule).

Otherwise I can't think of any work I bring home. You should be able to keep up to date at work I would say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Other than the dreams where I verify and counsel all night, it all stays at work. Those sure are exhausting nights.

I'm trying to figure out how to leave work at home. I just started my first job post residency so it'll be awhile. I'm use to bringing work home from residency but now that I have a real job, I'd like a good work life balance. The biggest thing I see is how to stay current with knowledge. I don't think I can do that all at work. I think unjust going to set some time aside every week to focus on reading articles and staying current.

Not really, unless you count knowledge based things (reading/CE's) or reading/replying to emails occasionally.

I remember post-graduation during residency I rediscovered free time...like actual free time. Pretty liberating.

Because of HIPAA and confidentiality issues, you wouldn't be taking work home unless you have a job where you work at home, and if you did, you would be working on a computer with a secure, dedicated server.

When I still worked in the field, I could generally get my CEs done during slow times, and in fact, such activity was encouraged. I still do CEs; I just do them at home now.

I got my old hospital job in the early 00s when there were a lot of medical programs on cable (and TLC and Discovery were still quasi-educational) and after I started working there, I just couldn't watch any program based in a hospital because I was dealing with it all day - maybe not face to face the way doctors and nurses do, but I was still dealing with it. My mother understood; she loved the show "Cops" until she became a police department secretary.

Because of HIPAA and confidentiality issues, you wouldn't be taking work home unless you have a job where you work at home, and if you did, you would be working on a computer with a secure, dedicated server.

Eh, I know pharmacy managers who take work home with them - the schedule, action plans, manager stuff.

Eh, I know pharmacy managers who take work home with them - the schedule, action plans, manager stuff.

Yeah exactly, I wouldn't work on anything that contained patient information, so usually policy/procedure updates and whatnot... I have VPN access into our clinical systems for when I'm not at home but not on campus, but I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole from home/off the clock. I'd rather not have my name/credentials appended to something with a time stamp when I'm not working...way too much liability issues there, not to mention a potential labor law violation ticking time bomb.

I'd rather tool around Netflix at home anyway. :watching:

Sometime/often. My pharmacy manager and I rotate on-call every other week. The extra on-call pay and decrease PRN/agency use translating into beating the budget and bigger bonuses... The money is good, corporate director and VP also let me know that they notice it, so I hope the merit will speak for itself. I'm hoping my strategy will pay off in patient outcome, financially and career wise, especially if you are still relatively young. A hint to those in a similar setting. :)

Soap box: I have faith in America adhering relatively close to meritocracy, it has been proven correctly so far in school and in my career, I hope it continues to do so.

Last edited:
My life consists of:

1. Working at work about 50-55 hours per week
2. Working from home
3. Feeling guilty because I am doing something/anything other than working.

So yes.

Sometime/often. My pharmacy manager and I rotate on-call every other week. The extra on-call pay and decrease PRN/agency use translating into beating the budget and bigger bonuses... The money is good, corporate director and VP also let me know that they notice it, so I hope the merit will speak for itself. I'm hoping my strategy will pay off in patient outcome, financially and career wise, especially if you are still relatively young. A hint to those in a similar setting. :)

Soap box: I have faith in America adhering relatively close to meritocracy, it has been proven correctly so far in school and in my career, I hope it continues to do so.
You never miss an opportunity to promote your merit, do you?

physical work no, mental ie stress of it yes

You better take care of that...keeping that up for long periods of time will harden your arteries in no time.

I mean, okay, there's a healthy amount of "how can I do better" dwelling that can go on...but anything more than that, one needs to reevaluate their job, place of employment, or other factors in life.

Reactions: 1 user
No. Just Gym and then Netflix for me. I think the important thing is to have an outlet and do something you enjoy when you get home.

Reactions: 1 user
You better take care of that...keeping that up for long periods of time will harden your arteries in no time.

I mean, okay, there's a healthy amount of "how can I do better" dwelling that can go on...but anything more than that, one needs to reevaluate their job, place of employment, or other factors in life.

I know. Its not good. Im just in a bad situation. I myself have a good work ethic. Others around me don't. But somehow they can make excuses but there is a different set of rules for me. Everything screams that I need to get out (and yes Im looking)