Do you guys answer the phones when by you are by yourself and busy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vardenafil

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got transferred with in my company to another store. This store only has one part time tech. so I am often by myself. I try my best to keep up but sometimes its impossible. When it gets busy I just let the phones ring. I figure a bird in the hand is worth more than 2 in the bush. or in my case the 4 or 5 customers standing in line should get preference over the phone. How do you guys handle the phone when you are by yourself and busy? I am finding myself in this situation more and more. I used to put the phones on hold or ask for a number to call them back later. But people" just" want to talk, or "just" have a refill, or "just" have a question. what have you guys found that works? any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

- don't answer: written up and eventually get fired
- answer but tell them you will call back: they complain and you will get written up and eventually get fired
- answer but tell them the pharmacist is at lunch: if caught, you are going to get fired

Reactions: 2 users
Basically if the phone rings, you will get fired.
Might as well "just" quit and go find another job.

Members don't see this ad :)
basically each time the phone rings, you are one step closer to getting fired.

You were on your way to getting fired the moment they put in the telephone line

I pick up the phone and say, "Thank you for calling <company>, I have 5 people ahead of you and then I will be back on the line". Then I anxiously await the day I am fired. ;)

I pick up the phone and say, "Thank you for calling <company>, I have 5 people ahead of you and then I will be back on the line". Then I anxiously await the day I am fired. ;)

And when their spy ware tells them how long you are putting customers on hold, you are going to get fired.

Why did management put a slow pharmacist in a store where there is not much tech help?

Answer #1: they have a bet going on at the office

Answer #2: they need indisputable evidence that he is not keeping up to pace. I don't know...something like not picking up the phone. Doc can't call in verbals and therefore there is a delay in treatment. That should be sufficient.

Answer #3: it was just a coincidence.

The guy who hired me promised I would never be alone as a pharmacist unless it was a Sunday and I only had 1 tech and they were on a lunch break. Good to know because I did an APPE at Target that left the pharmacist alone constantly. Got wicked crazy.

I answer the phone only when I can help the caller.

The guy who hired me promised I would never be alone as a pharmacist

Hope you don't live in an area with snow. Cause if you do, you will trust me. Had everyone call in on me one time. I was working with a floater that day. She stood like a stick and I had to do everything. Only thing she would do was check the prescriptions. She wouldn't fill or input. AKA = a complete waste of payroll.

I have no problem answering if I have the time. But if I'm in the middle of a patient's rx...really irks me when I have to stop everything to do it.

I just got transferred with in my company to another store. This store only has one part time tech. so I am often by myself. I try my best to keep up but sometimes its impossible. When it gets busy I just let the phones ring. I figure a bird in the hand is worth more than 2 in the bush. or in my case the 4 or 5 customers standing in line should get preference over the phone. How do you guys handle the phone when you are by yourself and busy? I am finding myself in this situation more and more. I used to put the phones on hold or ask for a number to call them back later. But people" just" want to talk, or "just" have a refill, or "just" have a question. what have you guys found that works? any suggestions?
Honestly, just let the goddamn phone ring. Like someone already said, answer the phone when you can truly help the individual on the other end of the line.

Maybe you should tell the dumb**** you work for that if they would hire another tech you'd be able to fill more prescriptions and they would make more money than they lose in tech salary. If they're too stupid to understand that, I'm not sure you're working at a very secure job.

You obviously are still in school

Yes I am, but I am also a former business owner and employer.

Let's face it, an employer who is pinching pennies is not someone you want to work for. They will work you like a slave until you give up, then replace you with another person who is desperate to work. The cycle of abuse will continue until they run out of willing applicants. I did exactly this with my maintenance workers when I renovated and rented properties. I was always looking for the next contractor down on his luck because I was nearly done burning out the one working my projects for scraps.

At the independent pharmacy I never answer the phone unless it's already been screened by the tech to be a patient with a drug question or a doctor's office.

At the hospital, if I'm doing something, I'm not gonna answer the phone. Especially when I'm the only pharmacist and the other pharmacist is on lunch or something, I'm pretty much not answering the phone for that hour. I usually just go to the workstation all the way in the back where I cannot be seen by anyone outside or hide out in the narcotic safe or the IV room and verify from there.

Yes I am, but I am also a former business owner and employer.

Let's face it, an employer who is pinching pennies is not someone you want to work for. They will work you like a slave until you give up, then replace you with another person who is desperate to work. The cycle of abuse will continue until they run out of willing applicants. I did exactly this with my maintenance workers when I renovated and rented properties. I was always looking for the next contractor down on his luck because I was nearly done burning out the one working my projects for scraps.

And why would an employer abandon such a lucrative business strategy?

And why would an employer abandon such a lucrative business strategy?

Most won't, unless you can show them a way they can make more money operating differently. That requires an open minded employer. Good luck finding that.

I certainly wasn't going to change. If I hadn't had my assets liquidated in a divorce I would have never stopped being a slum lord, and ****ty boss.