Do you guys blank/stumble on interview questions only to figure out the perfect answer later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

September24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Man, I have interviews and I simply blank and stumble for answers. If an intimidating question comes up, it seems like I immediately answer and hope the answer finds its way home. I have a thought process but end up with disorganized answers (even though the overall answer is ok). Other times, I simply blank, go home, think for a tiny second, and find the answer.

Do you guys have any tips for this? I KNOW I have the answers, I just cant recall them. It's irritating.

Members don't see this ad.

Just relax. I have the same problem. Going with the flow definitely helps.

Try to answer them the best you can. They're not looking to grill you. They just want to see how you'll respond. If you don't know at the moment you can tell the interviewer that you can get back to him on that answer.

Just like a real conversation, huh?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The best way to look at an interview is like a regular conversation. Don't worry about trying to find the "correct" answer, that'll come across as superficial and they'll see right through it. Also, don't feel like you constantly have to sell yourself, let your application do that. If you get a tough question, just talk through it:

"You know, that's an interesting question. On one hand _______, but on the other hand _____"

Don't ramble, but talking through a question logically is a lot better than sitting there blank faced. Most importantly, talk to your interviewer. Ask them questions about their own life. You wouldn't like someone that only talked about themself, would you?

L'esprit de l'escalier

Try to think through tough questions systematically. And don't be afraid to pause; it's okay to sit in silence and think for a bit, certainly better than rambling or "uhmm"s.

The best way to look at an interview is like a regular conversation. Don't worry about trying to find the "correct" answer, that'll come across as superficial and they'll see right through it. Also, don't feel like you constantly have to sell yourself, let your application do that. If you get a tough question, just talk through it:

"You know, that's an interesting question. On one hand _______, but on the other hand _____"

Don't ramble, but talking through a question logically is a lot better than sitting there blank faced. Most importantly, talk to your interviewer. Ask them questions about their own life. You wouldn't like someone that only talked about themself, would you?

I kind of like this advice. Take a break and I should start out trying to rephrase the question and analyze different sides of the question. That may help me kickstart my brain and even brainstorm. I kind of jump headfirst into the question.

Just don't start crying. I'm sure as long as you can break the question down into its components and talk your way through different viewpoints, you'll be good. I'll bet @Goro has some good advice here.

Answers to questions shouldn't be about recalling anything. You should just be able to look inside yourself and be honest with the question. Get to know yourself better, so that when someone asks you a question, there is no searching for the answer. It will just come to you naturally. It might take a second or two, and you might have to sit and think about it, but that is fine- just remember that the interview isn't a test, it's a chance to get to know you better. They aren't trying to pressure you, they're just trying to figure out who you are and why you're there, and furthermore, where you want to go. View it as a conversation, not as a test or an interview.

L'esprit de l'escalier

Try to think through tough questions systematically. And don't be afraid to pause; it's okay to sit in silence and think for a bit, certainly better than rambling or "uhmm"s.
I feel like being systematic and overanalyzing things is how a lot of people come off sounding inauthentic or robotic. Be careful- too much analysis as to what the "right" answer is can hurt you, as it tends to detract form who you really are.