Do you guys check prolactin levels?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So in a day...I might see 3-4 pts on average on an antipsychotic. Also consider that many med mgt insurance based clinics do take Medicare. And some schizo patients are going to have medicare, or medicare and medicaid.

Why in the world would you take Medicare? My understanding is they pay horribly. I don't think anybody takes Medicare where I live except community mental health places. Jeez, I don't even think my university residency clinic accepted it. We also didn't accept Medicaid.

Members don't see this ad.

My concern with prescribing antipsychotics is that what if someone does develop bad dyslipidemia and has an MI or whatever. Then some lawyer gets in there ear and suddenly Im being sued for risperdal possibly contributing to their MI. So what I'm often doing is giving my cmcc patients a prescription for a lipid panel and telling them to get it done and fax results over or bring them back. 97% of the time they don't do it, but I document that I've told them to do it. Who knows....you are damned if you do and damned if you don't I think.

Argh, yes, welcome to why I also hated my community MH job. No one ever got their freaking labs done -- often because they were too disorganized to do it. Case management when you're managing 70 to 80 pts, several of whom probably need an ACT team, means they're not available to help get these patients to get their labs drawn either.

I do check prolactin levels at baseline and every 3-6 months. In about 30% of kids on risperdal, I see levels get very high and take them off. It has always gone back down after stopping med so no referrals are needed yet. I consider it standard of care since it is a known issue and gynecomastia is not reversible w/o surgery.

Birchswing- you need a new psychiatrist.
I didn't see this until I was looking for another post of mine. I've persistently and politely been asking after a private-pay psychiatrist who stopped switched to inpatient and is finally starting back up in private practice, so fortunately this will finally be happening.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why in the world would you take Medicare? My understanding is they pay horribly. I don't think anybody takes Medicare where I live except community mental health places. Jeez, I don't even think my university residency clinic accepted it. We also didn't accept Medicaid.

Medicare pays more than value options, BCN, and many others. Medicaid is pathetic.

Reactions: 1 user

As shikma said, medicare in many places pays more than some insurers. It's not horrible here at all- I could make good money filling up with medicare patients. You are right that medicaid does pay horribly, and my main job doesn't take that(not many others do either).

Interestingly though, probably the bigger reason most private practices don't take medicaid is that this population just can't get to appts reliably. I've crunched the numbers and I could do ok with medicaid if I booked appropriately, but the problem is they won't show up. Transportation issues and whatnot.

Another thing to consider is what you get for the visit and what 'they pay' are two different things.....just because I make less on a medicaid visit at my contract cmhc job(I get a certain percentage of collections) doesn't mean they actually pay less. For example, lets say medicaid reimburses 67 dollars for a 99214 and a certain insurance company reimburses 85 dollars. Well if the pt's copay is 50 dollars(and copays are going through the roof), medicaid actually 'pays more' than the supposedly good private insurance. They are sending you more money. On an ideal visit(if the pt pays their big copay and you have no problems collecting it or their deductible...which is another matter) you will make more than the medicaid visit because there are two people paying(pt and insurer), whereas with medicaid visits only one person pays a non-trivial amount(medicaid).

Another deal breaker with medicaid is that you can't typically do 99214 + 90833 because they are generally going to see the therapist on the same day, and they won't allow you to bill two therapy codes on the same day. So you are out a ton. If it weren't for this I'd take medicaid in a private practice. In our pp we tell the patients they have to schedule with therapist on a separate day so we can do the 90833 for me(if they saw therapist same day we couldn't.....for patients who travel very very long distances we may occasionally make exceptions I think). Interestingly the medicaid 99214 is actually worth more than some of the insurance 99214s(but the insurance 99214 + 90833 would be worth more)....yes, you read that right.

I think maybe some of you guys are in better parts of the country for insurance reimbursements. Here the codes *really really suck*. And in the other two places I've worked for any period of time they were different but they also really really sucked. And honestly, I think even in the places where the codes pay better now we are going to see that trend....with higher deductibles, higher copays, etc...which means in the end they are paying less to you.

In reality, 90833 doesn't really pay. The range I've noticed was 25-40 and you're spending 15-20 mins with that person. When you can just book another 15 min med check visit at a 99214.

In reality, 90833 doesn't really pay. The range I've noticed was 25-40 and you're spending 15-20 mins with that person. When you can just book another 15 min med check visit at a 99214.

yes it does average only about 30-35 dollars, *but* it's not really changing my approach because I don't do 15 minute med checks anyways. I'm not booking any fewer patients because I throw on the 90833 with pretty much every pt. The 90833 difference(and 35 extra dollars on every pt is a huge huge difference....no way my employer could pay me a fairly standard rate without those 90833 collections here) allows me to see patients in the time intervals I want to(or at least closer to what I want to) rather than 15 minute med checks. Keep in mind that when you only have 15 minute appts with a patient, you don't really get close to 15 minutes of face to face clinical time. Unless you can get pts in and out and everything in basically zero secs(and you don't need a minute here and there to compose yourself and have a minute to yourself...I need that)......

Also, I don't feel comfortable billing 99214s again and again and again(which is how we bill) for 10 or so minutes of clinical face time.....regardless of how many boxes one checks on their emr to meet coding criteria, I don't think a visit that short is the essence of a 99214.

Now what do I do? They book f/us in 20 mins for me. So not that much of a difference. But that extra 5 minutes is actually about a 50% increase in face to face meaningful clinical time I find.(from 10 minutes to 15 minutes). Obviously 5 extra minutes is not a lot, but in such short visits anyways it's something. We make a little more(its really close Im sure) having peak efficiency set at 3 99214s + 90833s than we would at 4 99214s. But I think the bigger reason(besides money) we do 3 of the combo codes rather than 4 of the 99214s alone is that they don't feel that's enough time to ethically do a 99214(for some visits maybe but certainly not all) and they don't want any flak from payers on basically everything being a 99214.

Also, humana in our area is now saying 99213 should be the 'standard office visit' and we can do 99214s but now we need a prior auth for 99214s. Ugh. Even though it's going to be a lot of work, our admin said we are going to do what it takes to keep the 99214 and not go to 99213.....because it is my understanding that the whole practice is built on the 99214 and not the 99213(the numbers don't work in any way shape or form with the 99213). So I'm not sure that shortening the office visits even more when this insurer(admittedly not the main player here) is trying to drive down the standard code anyway is the right time.

But anyways that was a lot of writing for me to say: I just don't like doing 15 minute med checks. I feel like Im pretty fast and could get things done technically, but i would feel constantly pushed for time and I think my patients wouldn't like it(they would definitely feel more rushed)....but I understand the financial ramifications.

Also, humana in our area is now saying 99213 should be the 'standard office visit' and we can do 99214s but now we need a prior auth for 99214s. Ugh. Even though it's going to be a lot of work, our admin said we are going to do what it takes to keep the 99214 and not go to 99213.....because it is my understanding that the whole practice is built on the 99214 and not the 99213(the numbers don't work in any way shape or form with the 99213). So I'm not sure that shortening the office visits even more when this insurer(admittedly not the main player here) is trying to drive down the standard code anyway is the right time.

Ugh that's such BS... you should be rewarded for the work you put it as long as you document and code correctly. I may end up working in an insurance-based PP soon and I fear this exact situation.

Prior auths for 99214? When you clearly have someone on mood stabilizers that need blood work, and can bill at a 99214.

No sir, I wouldn't stand for that in the slightest. Talk about being taken advantage of and limiting income. And insurance companies do not allow for MD and therapist visits on the same day.

Prior auths for 99214? When you clearly have someone on mood stabilizers that need blood work, and can bill at a 99214.

No sir, I wouldn't stand for that in the slightest. Talk about being taken advantage of and limiting income. And insurance companies do not allow for MD and therapist visits on the same day.

well most of our patients aren't on mood stabilizers and most don't need blood work. I don't know if there are any exceptions to this. It's just one plan. Im not involved in any of the nitty gritty there...I just do what I'm told. I think the general theme of insurance companies continuing to try to limit what they pay us is going to only continue to increase over time though.....

well most of our patients aren't on mood stabilizers and most don't need blood work. I don't know if there are any exceptions to this. It's just one plan. Im not involved in any of the nitty gritty there...I just do what I'm told. I think the general theme of insurance companies continuing to try to limit what they pay us is going to only continue to increase over time though.....

If the health partners you're working with are ok with limiting reimbursements, then ok for them. I don't think many would stand for this. It would impact many specialties.

If the health partners you're working with are ok with limiting reimbursements, then ok for them. I don't think many would stand for this. It would impact many specialties.

?? Well of course they aren't ok with it....not sure where you got that idea from my post. they are still sending in 99214s for those patients. Unfortunately I see insurance companies continue to try to chip away at us though......the trend is not going to be a good one.

?? Well of course they aren't ok with it....not sure where you got that idea from my post. they are still sending in 99214s for those patients. Unfortunately I see insurance companies continue to try to chip away at us though......the trend is not going to be a good one.

I'm sorry that it's happening by you. Which ins companies are you seeing this with?

Since we are getting off topic and onto billing, has anyone ever heard of their local Medicaid simply removing the higher billing codes- 99214,99215, 99204 and 99205?

This recently happened here and I doubt it's compliant with parity laws.

I've heard of ins companies citing that the documentation doesn't meet billing levels rendered and ordered to repay monies back. If there is a gross violation, it could go to the IG and charges presented against you.