Do you guys ever get this feeling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asigna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

Lately i've just been getting into one of those moods, very anxious and all. I've been feeling like "what happens if I don't get into medical school. What do I do then?" It's like...it's just been bothering me a lot lately. Now, I'm not the whining type of person. Obviously some people get in some people don't, and the reality is that you might not get in. Do you guys ever feel like this and start to get discouraged? Like I KNOW I can do it it, it's just when I start thinking like this it worries me that all my hard work might not pay off. It sounds stupid, I know, but I'm just curious how other people feel about this, and maybe how you guys get around it

Members don't see this ad.

I get panic attacks and sudden pangs of anxiety. It's awful. I'd think I was prone panic attacks/anxiety if med school was not the only thing it is.

So... usually that gets me out of the panic loop. "OMG, med school... future... everything... am I having a panic attack? Wait, no, I have other s### in life that's bothering me and I'm not freaking out. Phew."

Reactions: 1 user
I get panic attacks and sudden pangs of anxiety. It's awful. I'd think I was prone panic attacks/anxiety if med school was not the only thing it is.

So... usually that gets me out of the panic loop. "OMG, med school... future... everything... am I having a panic attack? Wait, no, I have other s### in life that's bothering me and I'm not freaking out. Phew."

The difference between me and you is that I plan for contingencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys ever feel like this and start to get discouraged?
...but I'm just curious how other people feel about this, and maybe how you guys get around it

Yep, it's called life.

When these kind of thoughts pop into my head, I immediately picture myself working at McDonalds for the rest of my life - this usually motivates me to keep going.

On the off chance that the above method does not work, consume lots of alcohol. The next morning, you will experience a different kind of pain that is guaranteed to distract you from thinking about the original problem.

Just wait until you are applying and waiting to get interviews/decisions, that stress was far greater than anything I ever felt during UG personally.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone

Lately i've just been getting into one of those moods, very anxious and all. I've been feeling like "what happens if I don't get into medical school. What do I do then?" It's like...it's just been bothering me a lot lately. Now, I'm not the whining type of person. Obviously some people get in some people don't, and the reality is that you might not get in. Do you guys ever feel like this and start to get discouraged? Like I KNOW I can do it it, it's just when I start thinking like this it worries me that all my hard work might not pay off. It sounds stupid, I know, but I'm just curious how other people feel about this, and maybe how you guys get around it

#firstworldproblems

In context, you are one of the richest and most educated persons in the world. You will still live better than 99% of the people in the world even as a desk clerk making 34K a year.

If you can't be happy without medical school, you won't be happy with it.

I posted a thread a while ago on how I go through cycles of feeling like I can really do this and cycles of feeling like theres no way. What I did is set up a list of goals for myself to fix what went wrong (applying late) and stick to that list of goals. If I can do everything on that list, theres no reason I shouldn't get in.

"
#firstworldproblems

In context, you are one of the richest and most educated persons in the world. You will still live better than 99% of the people in the world even as a desk clerk making 34K a year.

If you can't be happy without medical school, you won't be happy with it.

I always thought this was a bad way to philosophically argue. Not to mention psychologically, it's totally invalidating someones emotions. So, you can't feel stress because somewhere else, someone you never heard of has it worse, totally hypothetically (that is, we certainly never verified this with a person and a name, though we know they exists and would be easy to do). Sorry, I'm still working this out rationally, but intuitively this has always seemed logically unsound. I always imagine someone in the kidney cancer ward being told, hey at least it's not brain cancer. Sure, magnitudes are way different, but humans are allowed to feel stress and anxiety (especially in the case where it is entirely physiological), and it's dehumanizing to say you have to be happy because it could be worse. I'm sure if the majority of the "99%" were in our shoes they would also be stressed out. Insatiety (needs to be a word for one) is part of the human condition no matter how much or little we have--which is why those after school specials that teach us to value family, or whatever it is, actual have meaning.

However, I like the second part you wrote. That is a very terse way to put it. It also says that someone might never be happy if they don't get in (which this whole thread revolves on), which sort of goes along with what I said. What a horrible condition to never be happy, and these are the stakes that we are bet with when we enter this game.

Reactions: 4 users
I think you deal with that feeling by getting into med school....sooner or later...one way or another.

worked in my experience, best of luck!!

Hey everyone

Sometimes I look at my weekly plan and I freak out - haha. I write everything that needs to be done and then just look at the next thing on my agenda. Makes life more bearable

"

I always thought this was a bad way to philosophically argue. Not to mention psychologically, it's totally invalidating someones emotions. So, you can't feel stress because somewhere else, someone you never heard of has it worse, totally hypothetically (that is, we certainly never verified this with a person and a name, though we know they exists and would be easy to do). Sorry, I'm still working this out rationally, but intuitively this has always seemed logically unsound. I always imagine someone in the kidney cancer ward being told, hey at least it's not brain cancer. Sure, magnitudes are way different, but humans are allowed to feel stress and anxiety (especially in the case where it is entirely physiological), and it's dehumanizing to say you have to be happy because it could be worse. I'm sure if the majority of the "99%" were in our shoes they would also be stressed out. Insatiety (needs to be a word for one) is part of the human condition no matter how much or little we have--which is why those after school specials that teach us to value family, or whatever it is, actual have meaning.

However, I like the second part you wrote. That is a very terse way to put it. It also says that someone might never be happy if they don't get in (which this whole thread revolves on), which sort of goes along with what I said. What a horrible condition to never be happy, and these are the stakes that we are bet with when we enter this game.

Stress and anxiety are by themselves, not necessarily a bad thing. Having stress and anxiety to the extent where your performance or schoolwork is negatively affected (it sounds like the OP is having this) would warrant some perspective on the goal or the thing you are directing the stress towards. That's what I'm trying to convey to the OP, (maybe in not the most sensitive of ways). I've been through worse long term stressors than whether I would be able to get into medical school and during that time I would keep myself grounded by reminding myself how really lucky I am even if the thing I'm stressing about occurs. I would recommend the same to all of you.

Stress when it keeps you working and striving toward that goal = good thing.

Stress when you become "tharn" and "apathetic" = bad thing.

I think everyone experiences these types of feelings. Whether or not they actually voice them to others or in a diary can be helpful. I know I started a video diary so hopefully one day when I'm starting med school I can look back and reminisce on the days where I didn't think I would ever receive a acceptance! For me i think the stress of applying and studying for MCAT is a much greater burden because you don't know Whether or not your hard work will even get you to where you want to be in life! As premed we live on faith/belief that it is possible for us to achieve anything that we work hard for. I truly believe if someone gives their all into something then they deserve to succeed and if you fail get back up and try again!!! Especially if what you truly desire is in your heart!

Regularly. Because if I don't get in, then quitting a great job and going $25,000 further into debt while not earning a degree was an awful decision.

Hey everyone

130415470959145026.gif

Stress and anxiety are by themselves, not necessarily a bad thing. Having stress and anxiety to the extent where your performance or schoolwork is negatively affected (it sounds like the OP is having this) would warrant some perspective on the goal or the thing you are directing the stress towards. That's what I'm trying to convey to the OP, (maybe in not the most sensitive of ways). I've been through worse long term stressors than whether I would be able to get into medical school and during that time I would keep myself grounded by reminding myself how really lucky I am even if the thing I'm stressing about occurs. I would recommend the same to all of you.

Very true.

Kinda harsh, but I've done the exact same thing to help me past difficult times. Usually I wouldn't have to go far to get a reminder- the guy on the corner asking for spare change is enough for me. But of course these things can be a bit more complicated when you bring in perspective.

This is a normal reaction to a highly anxiety-provoking process. Many bright people feel this way no matter what the field they're in.

It's a sign of maturity and foresight to have a backup plan.

Hey everyone

Sure that's all well enough. The term is eustress I believe. I was more commenting on this idea "someone has it worse then you" somehow negates your own situation. I'm not saying it couldn't make sense with explication, but this concept has just always bothered me since I heard it as a kid growing up.