Do you guys go to class if you're not learning?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MidwestLovin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some classes I'm taking totally require attendance daily, whether participation points or additional material.

But then there's my Calculus class. He basically copies from the book and does problems, pretty helpful if you need additional reinforcement I guess. Today, I just didn't go. On one hand I'm like, I pay so much money for this class, but on the other hand I'm like, one hour is a lot of time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I literally went to Physics 6 times over the course of a year to take the midterms and finals.

Reactions: 1 user
Always. I get permission to record lectures so even when I'm feeling ill or the class is absolutely terrible, I have a backup of anything important that I may have missed originally.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't go to my chem lecture just because the Professor is horrible at lecturing, his slides are crap and he goes way too fast to take proper notes. His tests aren't too hard and I can learn everything from my books, study guide and TA. I've been to my lecture times maybe 4-5 times for exams this semester and that is all.

Some classes I'm taking are totally require attendance daily, whether participation points or additional material.

But then there's my Calculus class. He basically copies from the book and does problems, pretty helpful if you need additional reinforcement. Today, I just didn't do. On one hand I'm like, I pay so much money for this class, but on the other hand I'm like, one hour is a lot of time.

Nope. If lectures are recorded then I don't feel the need to go, especially if there's no participation. Or if the professor just reads word for word from his lecture slides without adding additional information.

I literally went to Physics 6 times over the course of a year to take the midterms and finals.

This was my experience with intro physics as well. If it's not a positive use of your time and not going isn't going to lower your grade then I don't see why it would matter. I usually went to lab and did work instead.

This was my experience with intro physics as well. If it's not a positive use of your time and not going isn't going to lower your grade then I don't see why it would matter. I usually went to lab and did work instead.
To be fair with physics/maths/some sciences the variation is minimal. OCW + KhanAcademy = success.

Yeah, because I get an extra 2% added to my final Human Genetics grade if I show up.

Also, I have a sort of stupid pride in not having missed a class in 2 years.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, because I get an extra 2% added to my final Human Genetics grade if I show up.

Also, I have a sort of stupid pride in not having missed a class in 2 years.
No shame in that. Good on you. That's hard to do in uni.

This was the first class I didn't go to all year. Kind of down about it, but I didn't miss anything.

Junior year, I had two classes at the exact same (both 9 am classes, registered one at 3 pm but I worked so I attended the 9 am class.

I would alternate classes. Week 1 to class A and week 2 to class B. no participation grade so no one cared (except those who missed my daily brownies - I spent a fortune for my brownie diet)

Hun, you aren't in high school. Unless the class is heavily based on discussion, no one cares if you go to class or not.

Sometimes I make brownies and I have extras, but I'm scared of bringing them to class so that everyone thinks I'm that weird brownie guy who has no friends and bakes to get attention.
/sigh so dilemma much hard decisions

Members don't see this ad :)
This was the first class I didn't go to all year. Kind of down about it, but I didn't miss anything.
Some classes I'm taking totally require attendance daily, whether participation points or additional material.

But then there's my Calculus class. He basically copies from the book and does problems, pretty helpful if you need additional reinforcement I guess. Today, I just didn't go. On one hand I'm like, I pay so much money for this class, but on the other hand I'm like, one hour is a lot of time.

If the class doesn't require attendance, you're not obligated to go. You can always self-study.

If it's not required, I don't go if I don't learn.

Same deal with med school classes.

I still go and do other work or make flashcards/teach myself. showing up still can be useful for other reasons and something useful may happen.

Dude, we aren't your parents. Don't go if you don't want to.

I hate that, "you're paying $X per class," argument. No, you're paying $Y dollars for a piece of paper and someone else's continued validation that you are a decently smart person with good work habits. Anyone can give you a book and tell you to read, you're paying for outside opportunities. If you go to a research university and don't do research, well that's just a waste. I hardly ever went to class in college, because frankly I learned nothing I couldn't from the book/slides, and it allowed me to organize my day with far fewer interruptions.

I had a chem class with required attendance, so I sat in the back with headphones on and studied another subject.

For stats I went to the first lecture. The prof said it attendance was optional, lectures from the previous year were posted online, and all quizzes/tests would be taken in a proctored testing center. Never returned.

If it's required then I'd assume you need to go. I went to a CUNY (for some classes) and a private school. At the private school I only showed up for exams and it was fine. At the CUNY I went to attendance is required and you're only allowed to miss 3 classes. I also felt that I wasn't learning anything so I would just sit in the back and do my own self studying from my own resources and didn't even listen to the prof

I hate that, "you're paying $X per class," argument. No, you're paying $Y dollars for a piece of paper and someone else's continued validation that you are a decently smart person with good work habits. Anyone can give you a book and tell you to read, you're paying for outside opportunities. If you go to a research university and don't do research, well that's just a waste. I hardly ever went to class in college, because frankly I learned nothing I couldn't from the book/slides, and it allowed me to organize my day with far fewer interruptions.
So true.

I don't miss much if a skip a science class, but liberal education courses can come back to haunt you--don't skip those unless you're certain you won't miss an in class assignment or random quiz.

I've found that the only courses which require attendance are the ones where it is the most pointless and time-wasting. Well, those and the 2 person courses...there it's pretty much not a class if you don't show up.

I feel extremely guilty about missing major classes (chem, calc, physics, etc.) Oddly enough I don't mind missing "arts" classss such as spanish, history, etc (although these classes most commonly require attendence).

One class I showed up for day one and finals.

All our classes at my university are very lecture/participation dependent. Most of the classes are pretty interactive and open to discussion during lecture. It's really nice. I have really enjoyed this model as I am an auditory learner for sure.