Do you guys watch their videos? Dr. Oller and Dr. Mellick

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Buff OP

-lll-------lll-
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should there be chest compressions going on prior to ED thoracotomy? Just wondering on people's take on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
These are awesome, thank you for sharing

Reactions: 1 user
What they don't show is that volume is likely RUSHING in at the same time! That, and plugging whatever hole is killing them.

These are pretty awesome.

Good thread; I'm all for not doing ridiculous things that don't matter. Chest compressions in penetrating arrest = knock it off.

These are pretty awesome.

Good thread; I'm all for not doing ridiculous things that don't matter. Chest compressions in penetrating arrest = knock it off.
Thanks.

Dr. Mellick is at a teaching hospital so you will get to see cool videos there and Dr. Oller is a doc who will make PSA videos for anyone and cool drainage vids lol.

Will this ever be used in the civilian world?

Thanks.

Dr. Mellick is at a teaching hospital so you will get to see cool videos there and Dr. Oller is a doc who will make PSA videos for anyone and cool drainage vids lol.

Will this ever be used in the civilian world?

Oller is a cool guy, but the nurses get aggravated when he ties up a room in the ED to shoot a video. He's the medical director of a mid-sized ED (50,000 visits/year). He's very tech savvy. He had mentioned at one point designing these for marketing purposes, but not sure if he ever pursued that.

Regarding the abdominal tourniquet, we are currently evaluating it for incorporation into our TEMS protocols. We're using CAT tourniquets now, and we're about to adopt the next revision as soon as it's released.

You'd be surprised at how these things matter in tactical environments. A CAT, abdominal tourniquet, or even hemostatic gauze can by much needed time if patients cannot be extracted from a situation quickly (active shooter, hostage, etc.). We used a CAT tourniquet and had good results with it from a popliteal artery injury.

Yes, I realize direct pressure can do the same thing, but it's hard to apply direct pressure while trying to move a patient rapidly out of a violent scene and for the paramedics to continue holding pressure in a moving ambulance. Not holding pressure for a few minutes while a tactical physician/paramedic drags a wounded person out of an active shooter situation can cost a person his or her life.

Reactions: 1 user
Oller is a cool guy, but the nurses get aggravated when he ties up a room in the ED to shoot a video. He's the medical director of a mid-sized ED (50,000 visits/year). He's very tech savvy. He had mentioned at one point designing these for marketing purposes, but not sure if he ever pursued that.

Regarding the abdominal tourniquet, we are currently evaluating it for incorporation into our TEMS protocols. We're using CAT tourniquets now, and we're about to adopt the next revision as soon as it's released.

You'd be surprised at how these things matter in tactical environments. A CAT, abdominal tourniquet, or even hemostatic gauze can by much needed time if patients cannot be extracted from a situation quickly (active shooter, hostage, etc.). We used a CAT tourniquet and had good results with it from a popliteal artery injury.

Yes, I realize direct pressure can do the same thing, but it's hard to apply direct pressure while trying to move a patient rapidly out of a violent scene and for the paramedics to continue holding pressure in a moving ambulance. Not holding pressure for a few minutes while a tactical physician/paramedic drags a wounded person out of an active shooter situation can cost a person his or her life.
Where I volunteer at they have a tact-medic program where they bring ppl from all around the country to train there. Yeah, CAT tourniquets are taught to be used a lot. LOL until you are in that situation, then you find out it's freaking hard to put pressure on a leg wound.

About Oller, I think in his old vids the nurses use to hold the camera for him and I think now he uses a tripod now. One of my pet peeves is that most of the wounds he leaves them for the nurse to clean it up, I would like to leave that bad boy nice and clean.

Random question:
How much money do EM medical director's make?

EMS physician salaries vary widely. Some people do it as a volunteer, but most of us are compensated decently for it. Not as much as I get paid for clinical work, but still a decent amount for the time invested. Nearly all EMS physicians still work in the ED as well.