do you have a certain record for all your volunteer work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physicianwannab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all, hope you all had a good start this semester already.
I know I shouldnt think about volunteering this way, its an enjoyment, not assignment. The thing is I want to apply in may, my schedule this semester and next will be really tight because I hold a full time professional job to make ends meet and for experience. after may, I will continue to volunteer at Salvation army to distribute foods, as well as a children's shelter since I want to be a pediatrician. its fun for real. :)
In my community, there was this girl who got hit in a car accident and was hospitalized. She was severely brain damaged and her parents, out of desperation, wanted to resort to chinese medicine. I am a chinese native and am working in the medical field, so I offered to translate the medical history to chinese, so that they can publisize and ask for help. It took me about 5 days=30 hours to do this.
I want to know if this can be counted as volunteer hours, since there is no records to be submitted. or do you submit an official record for every volunteer job you have done?
I have volunteered at a church, do I ask them for a record with their title?
Also, is it even a smart idea to mention "chinese medicine" while I am applying for allopathic medical shcool? this was truly a wonderful experience as far as the translation itself goes. To some extend, I secretly believe in accupuncture and such stuff. Its another topic anyhow.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Personally, I would have a difficult time placing that in the "activities" section of AMCAS (I'm not sure where else you'd place it?), it wasn't an organized activity and 5 days isn't long enough to justify calling it a regular activity. If it had some effect on you I might write about it in your PS, but other than that no...

thanks. I was thinking everyone is talking about the magic number of hours=100.
I currently only have 50 something, it sounds lame, but I want to have 100 hours total at the time I apply. During gliding year, I will do more volunteering at Salvation Army since I have tons of clinical experience already under my belt.

Personally, I would have a difficult time placing that in the "activities" section of AMCAS (I'm not sure where else you'd place it?), it wasn't an organized activity and 5 days isn't long enough to justify calling it a regular activity. If it had some effect on you I might write about it in your PS, but other than that no...

Members don't see this ad :)
You shouldn't let that 30 hours go to waste. Just because it isn't regular doesn't mean you can't add it, especially in a special situation like that one. I would def count that as service.

thanks. I will find a slot to put that in. its much much more interesting than distributing food at Salvation Army.

You shouldn't let that 30 hours go to waste. Just because it isn't regular doesn't mean you can't add it, especially in a special situation like that one. I would def count that as service.