"Do you have any questions"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quester

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not questions to me...

But at the end of the interview when they ask you if you have any questions... I saw a video that advises not to ask questions that could easily be found in pamphlet.

What do you guys usually ask?

Members don't see this ad.

it's safe to ask about future rotation sites or "what's the next step" etc

(don't ever, ever ask "how did i do?" or "how soon can i start?" )

I try to gather as much info as possible during the tour and from current students. Then I usually can get a few questions together for the interview. Also as you talk with the interviewer questions naturally will just come to you. If you generally are interested in their program and med school..you should be able to come up with a few questions that aren't too generic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the most importnat question you can ask should be directed to current students: "why did you come here? Did you have a choice? Why school A and not B?"

The one question I recommend you DON'T ask is "what help is there for failing students?"

You guys should, like Queen Victoris, not be interested in the possibility of failure!

Not questions to me...

But at the end of the interview when they ask you if you have any questions... I saw a video that advises not to ask questions that could easily be found in pamphlet.

What do you guys usually ask?

Having interviewed some peeps, I'd say you should aim for something relatively easy to answer and not overly complex (or overly simplistic). The rotation site question is good, especially for DO programs since the answer is usually more convoluted than for MD. You could ask what types of clinical integration or COMLEX prep is done during pre-clinical years. You could ask how the school is involved in the community (e.g. free clinics). Something that indicates you want to know more about the school, but a question that isn't too annoying to the interviewer to answer. I think a well-thought question is better than none, but none is better than a really stupid question.

Having interviewed some peeps, I'd say you should aim for something relatively easy to answer and not overly complex (or overly simplistic). The rotation site question is good, especially for DO programs since the answer is usually more convoluted than for MD. You could ask what types of clinical integration or COMLEX prep is done during pre-clinical years. You could ask how the school is involved in the community (e.g. free clinics). Something that indicates you want to know more about the school, but a question that isn't too annoying to the interviewer to answer. I think a well-thought question is better than none, but none is better than a really stupid question.

:thumbup: I always asked about community involvement and clinical opportunities. If I saw something of interest to me on the school website I told the interviewer what I know about it (if any info is available), then asked them to elaborate more on the clinical opportunities.

I asked about a specific global health opportunity, and how to be involved in it; none of my three interviewers knew exactly, but I was given the contact info of the head of that department. I think they appreciated that I had done my research before I showed up that day.

Alright, thanks everyone. Definitely avoided a few disasters there..;)

I think the most importnat question you can ask should be directed to current students: "why did you come here? Did you have a choice? Why school A and not B?"

The one question I recommend you DON'T ask is "what help is there for failing students?"

You guys should, like Queen Victoris, not be interested in the possibility of failure!

I asked this question (though not in those words) at one school in order to get an idea for the faculty interaction and support system they have. I made sure to indicate that I had no intention of being a failing or struggling student, but instead I wanted to find out how the school dealt with those students and whether or not it contributed to their high board score average.

Maybe that was a bad idea...

I asked about their dual degree programs even though I wasn't super interested.

I asked my interviewer what he thought my chances were of getting into this school and what else I could do to improve my chances of getting accepted...a lot of people have told me that was risky and controversial.

I got accepted at the school and the admissions lady was nice enough to tell me that I had an excellent interview scores so I think it went over very well. I guess it is risky and depends on the interviewer and environment. Just my experience so far.

I asked my interviewer what he thought my chances were of getting into this school and what else I could do to improve my chances of getting accepted...a lot of people have told me that was risky and controversial.

I got accepted at the school and the admissions lady was nice enough to tell me that I had an excellent interview scores so I think it went over very well. I guess it is risky and depends on the interviewer and environment. Just my experience so far.

I would think asking that question is highly dependent on the interviewer. That was gutsy. Obviously your chances are decently good because schools don't interview most of their applicants. If you make it to the interview, you're doing something right.

I like that a lot.