Do You Have Kids?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do You Have Kids?

• Yes, multiple

Votes: 100 29.5%
  • Yes, one

Votes: 76 22.4%
  • Not yet, but planning to

Votes: 88 26.0%
  • No, not planning to

Votes: 45 13.3%
  • No, undecided

Votes: 30 8.8%

• Total voters

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
December poll time.

No kids, don't plan to ever have kids.

Members don't see this ad.

You sound exactly life my gf. Said if we ever did have kids, I'd be a stay at home doctor dad.

Granted, I want to do medicine more to learn about medicine than to make any money and I love kids (don't necessarily need to have any).

Settled on undecided.

No kids, don't plan to ever have kids.

I have one...even though I said never, ever. My husband wants one more...maybe in like 6 years or he can just get another dog.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 2yr old [boy]& pregnant with #2 [girl]

No, and not planning (married 4 yrs).

First one due in April. Starting first year of med school in August, should be an interesting transition.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

No children yet, but now that I'm no longer driving my birth control car I might end up married. I'll worry about kids then.

Two kids: a 6 year old girl and a 4 year old boy. Didn't make it to the alter beforehand :oops:, so if I AM to have another, it won't be until after I'm married. :D

I have a 11 month old with another on the way.

, but now that I'm no longer driving my birth control car .

photo? (of the birth control car) or at the very least a vivid description.

edit: oh yeah, no kids, not currently on the agenda as I'm quite single. not part of the plan even if I do settle down, however I'll leave it open to consideration if I have a very convincing totally awesome partner.

Members don't see this ad :)
Boy 7, girl 8. They were little toddlers when I decided to go back to school.

I have a 5 year old girl and a boy who is almost 2.

I have a 4-year old son. My wife and I are planning to have one more, and we are hoping she will be girl. We are very confused on when to have our next child. We don't want to get pregnant before I finish med school, yet my wife prefers to have the child before she turns 30 (I'll be third year medical student).

Children are the joy of life, so for those who CAN have children but not not planning to, you are missing out big time. That's just my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
I've got 3. 8years (girl), 5years, 10months (both boys).

And I agree with Ibn Alnafis, my children are the best thing that ever happened to me.

Yeah, I love kids. I'm just not sure I'd be the best thing that happened to THEM. lol :p

I've got 3. 8years (girl), 5years, 10months (both boys).

And I agree with Ibn Alnafis, my children are the best thing that ever happened to me.

One almost 3 year old girl for now. We were really wanting to have another sooner but my wife had a radiation treatment and this month is the soonest they said we could get pregnant again, so our next will prob come right in the middle of ms1 lol.
Good thing we'll be just a couple of hours from my wife's family/friends.
Having a family provides me the solid footing and motivation I'll need to get through school. They're my world

photo? (of the birth control car) or at the very least a vivid description.

It was a Toyota Tercel wagon that's almost as old as I am. You don't see these cars much outside of the Pacific Northwest, but they look like geeky little minivans. This one had 295,000 miles, a bad rattle-can paint job, no muffler, and an exhaust leak into the interior that smelled really funky when the car burned oil, which was most of the time. I thought the stained plaid seats were stylish because they matched my shirts, but nobody else seemed to agree. There was no way I was ever going to meet girls when I was driving that thing, so it functioned well as birth control. Now that I've got a slightly newer Toyota pickup truck I have to rely on my personality to keep girls away.

Reactions: 1 users
No children yet, but now that I'm no longer driving my birth control car I might end up married. I'll worry about kids then.

My birth control car, which is also supplied with spermicides, couldn't prevent me from having children ;)

I pretty much guarantee they'd think differently!

Well young kids think I'm awesome. Probably because I'm a first class dork.:rolleyes:So I probably wouldn't mess them up til their early teens.

I didn't have good modeling of parenting skills growing up.

I firmly believe people should have to have a license to procreate. I would fail myself on that test.

One littel girl who is 1.5 yo and a boy due in February (SO excited for my first boy!). My wife and I knew we wanted about 6 kids, so there was no need to wait, because we want to be done by our early to mid 30s (I am now 25, and she is 23). Having kids is the best thing I have ever done, and better than anything I ever will do (medicine included in that).

One littel girl who is 1.5 yo and a boy due in February (SO excited for my first boy!). My wife and I knew we wanted about 6 kids, so there was no need to wait, because we want to be done by our early to mid 30s (I am now 25, and she is 23). Having kids is the best thing I have ever done, and better than anything I ever will do (medicine included in that).

wow, 6 kids. I always liked the idea of having many children, but I don't think I will have the energy and the resources to provide them with quality upbringing. That's why my wife and I are settling for two.

One son, he will be two in February. We may have another, but with my wife's issues having him and being in school, we plan to wait until I at least am earning a paycheck as a resident, maybe not even then. Things don't always go as planned, of course, so who knows?

Things don't always go as planned, of course, so who knows?

I settled for no, and not planning to. But things definitely don't always go as planned--otherwise we wouldn't be non-trads right?

We are missing a category: "none that I know of". :smuggrin:

I actually did get a voicemail on my cell phone once about being delinquent on my child support payments. :eek:

1 girl, planning on 3 more. Thinking the next one will be sometime late MS2 or early MS3. We'll see how it goes! Best thing in my life no doubt!

well let me see:

Son-16
Son-15
Dau-13
Son-11 (12 in Dec)
Son-11
Son-10 (deceased)
Dau-10
Dau-6
Son-3 (4 in Dec)

well let me see:

Son-16
Son-15
Dau-13
Son-11 (12 in Dec)
Son-11
Son-10 (deceased)
Dau-10
Dau-6
Son-3 (4 in Dec)

Wow, props! I am the oldest of 9 kids. Growing up in a big family was really fun overall...

It was a Toyota Tercel wagon that's almost as old as I am. You don't see these cars much outside of the Pacific Northwest, but they look like geeky little minivans. This one had 295,000 miles, a bad rattle-can paint job, no muffler, and an exhaust leak into the interior that smelled really funky when the car burned oil, which was most of the time. I thought the stained plaid seats were stylish because they matched my shirts, but nobody else seemed to agree. There was no way I was ever going to meet girls when I was driving that thing, so it functioned well as birth control. Now that I've got a slightly newer Toyota pickup truck I have to rely on my personality to keep girls away.

Sounds like a classic NW car! I have a Subaru Loyale with 315,000 miles on it in about the same condition as your Toyota. Somehow I managed to meet my future wife while I was driving it, I guess that's how you know when you meet "the one". She did request that we upgrade the car but I still own and it drive it at least once per week so that I can stay in touch with my white-trash roots. :D

Children are the joy of life, so for those who CAN have children but not not planning to, you are missing out big time. That's just my opinion.
I am happy to miss out on this particular "joy of life." Don't mind children in small doses, will even smile and pretend to admire the pics of your not so adorable children if I like you enough, but beyond that, I'm good.

I decided that I would not have children at the age of 15. I've changed my mind about many things in the subsequent 20+ years, but not about that. I'd argue that the real travesty is people having children when they don't want them. All children should be wanted.

I've got a 6 year old son and a 4 year old daughter. I love them always and like them most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app. Blame Siri if the spelling or grammar are bad.

I have two children.

My daughter is 4 (5 in April) and my son is 1 (2 in January).

We would like another someday....maybe? We are only 30 so there is lots of time for that.

I just don't want to get pregnant in the next three years :eek:.

Married with no children. Not planning on having any. I'm content with being the cool uncle :cool: who's outsider influence augments my siblings already brilliant parenting efforts. Takes a village, right?:p

I decided that I would not have children at the age of 15. I've changed my mind about many things in the subsequent 20+ years, but not about that. I'd argue that the real travesty is people having children when they don't want them. All children should be wanted.

While I do agree with this, my sister wanted kids, brother-in-law did NOT want them. After about 7 yrs sister ended up pregnant. My brother-in-law couldn't be happier now that the kid is in the world. Took him a few weeks after birth to really realize this, but now he cherishes him more than anything in the world. I think kids can soften hearts of many (not all).

I have two. 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son.

I have 2 kids. One 3.5yo and one 15mo. The wife keeps saying we're not done and I keep saying "Are you sure?". Either way the shop closes at age 42 and I schedule the "snip-snip". After that she'll have to outsource.

I don't have any now, but husbeast and I would like 1-2. And they will probably be happening sometime during my medical training. So I've got plenty of chaos and sleep-deprivation in the future for me. ;-)

8-year-old boy, 5-year-old girl. Six pregnancies to get them. Changed my life and led me down this path.

None and no plans to. And, more importantly, plans not to. :thumbup:

We are missing a category: "none that I know of". :smuggrin:
Also missing the category: "No human children, anyway" :rolleyes:

Heck no. Oldest of 7...half-raised them...they turned out ok and I'm done. Besides, my baby sister is having one soon and it would just be weird for me to start now.
I do have 2 grown god daughters I'm very proud of and close to, and a gaggle of nieces and nephews with whom I've curried favor as the cool aunt. I don't worry too much about being lonely in my old age :)

I have two and like cabinbuilder mine are 17 (girl) and 14 (boy).

Somehow I just don't feel old enough to have my daughter graduating high school the same year I'm done with residency. She is a delight in every way. Smart, pretty, sweet, kind, thoughtful, and genuinely feels bad when she asks us to spend money on her because she knows this journey has been financially tight.

My son, however.... there are days I totally understand why some animals eat their young.