Do you have time for hobbies in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avicenna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Specifically looking for US MD student anecdotes

I always wanted to go pro with my BJJ but thats prob not happening an i have less and less time for it, but i still like to make time for it maybe 10 hrs/wk in med school. U think i could?

Members don't see this ad.

What is olympic BJJ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a roommate in med school and a co-resident who both kept up with taekwondo while in med school -- not sure how analogous that is. And they weren't going to big tournaments.

Once you've settled into a routine, 10hrs a week for a hobby is doable as a first, second and fourth year. As an MS3, everything dropped off but I did manage 3-4 hours for a favorite hobby most weeks. Even on surgery.

Reactions: 1 user
10 hours a week is definitely doable. Myself, I just binge watched Jessica Jones on Netflix for 13 hours this past weekend. lol

Reactions: 8 users
I started lifting in medical school and do so 3x/week consistently. I also play basketball probably around once/week. I also find time to play music, browse SDN, and hang out with friends all around the city I'm in. You have a good amount of free time as an M1, but that will slowly get eaten up as you go forward.

Reactions: 5 users
Specifically looking for US MD student anecdotes

I always wanted to go pro with my BJJ but thats prob not happening an i have less and less time for it, but i still like to make time for it maybe 10 hrs/wk in med school. U think i could?

I started BJJ 6 months ago and have the same aspirations and associated concerns. I think 10 hrs/week seems pretty reasonable. Whether that's enough to be competitive in either gi or nogi World's I don't know....

It's all about being efficient with time and scheduling it wisely. During 3rd year, I had time to go to the gym regularly, practice with my school band, and play pick-up soccer.

Your MS1 year will be the lightest, and if you budget time wisely, you'll find boatloads of free time. You're the busiest in 3rd year and perhaps early to mid 4th year due to Step 2 studying, interviews and what-not.

I want to keep up with Aikido throughout med school and maybe get into Iaido, as well. 10 hrs/week is plenty for something like that.

Running only takes 30-45 minutes at a time, so that will be easy enough to maintain.

BJJ = brazilian jiu jitsu.

There's plenty of time for hobbies. It mostly comes down to how efficient are you. I easily spend at least 1-2 hours every day just reading news articles. I play basketball twice a week, lift 2-3 times a week, and will usually watch an episode of something before going to bed. It's all doable, but you have to figure out how productive you want to be.

Reactions: 1 users
You make time. I picked up a very time-consuming extracurricular activity (quite by accident) during clinical rotations and maintained another less time-consuming hobby.

There is absolutely time for many hobbies in medical school. You just have to be wise with your time, and make an effort to take a break from studying.