Do you have to disclose COMLEX scores if only applying allopathic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigote Suave

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My comlex scores are much worse than my usmle. Do I have to disclose comlex scores on eras if I'm only applying to allopathic programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I called multiple (>5) ACGME IM programs asking if I could just send in my USMLE scores. They said that was totally fine. My only hesitation with this strategy is that I didn't want to leave programs with any questions about my application (did he even pass COMLEX; will he be eligible for COMLEX Level 3?). So, I think if you have good scores then you should submit both. If you think your COMLEX will be a red flag, then call programs and ask if you can just submit USMLE.

If you took the USMLE, do ACGME programs even care what your COMLEX score is provided you passed? I imagine you'd want it to be clear that you passed though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Id send it, if I were a PD and someone didnt send in their comlex scores I would assume there was a reason, and likely would think you would have done worse than you likely actually did. Plus, you don't want them to wonder if you passed or not and make them think that you may be a problem down the road with licensing and even being able to start residency.

Reactions: 1 user
I've always just assumed that if you have a USMLE score programs mostly ignored your COMLEX as long as you passed

With this logic, if someone has good COMLEX scores and took one step of the USMLE and did not do well, does he or she have to disclose their USMLE score? This is for ACGME programs that accept Comlex scores for primary care (IM or FM).

good,you may be a problem down the road with licensing and even being able to start residency.
b4gaWr
thanks